Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,237
1 members and 1,236 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

QUESTIONS FOR MY SISTERS ABOUT RUSH THREADS! ADPi INPUT KINDLY REQUESTED.

QUESTIONS FOR MY SISTERS ABOUT RUSH THREADS! ADPi INPUT KINDLY REQUESTED.

1st post, from violets:

Sisters:
I wanted to get your reactions to a thread that appeared on the Rush forum.
"Naming Names in Rush Threads"
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showt...?threadid=24078

33 girl wrote:
Quote:

One of the girls doing a rush thread said she didn't want to name names of groups, because she felt bad when someone would write "I'm so glad you're going back to XYZ!" and then she ended up not liking them, or when someone said "I'm disappointed you don't like ABC".

I know this is easier for me to say because there have only been a couple rush threads involving ASA, but even though we are excited at the prospect of new sisters, let's try to be a little more careful how we word things. These girls are feeling bad enough that they have to cut groups or get dropped by groups, especially if they belong to a poster on here that they like...let's not make it worse.

How do you all feel about "shameless plugs" in rush threads? I look back and know that I've done it myself a few times. I get truly excited when I know pnm on GC is going through recruitment on a campus that has an Alpha Delta Pi chapter, but that's no excuse for not acting in the best Panhellenic manner. I've come to agree with 33girls comments...though the "plugs" by actives are done with good intentions, I suppose we have to truly consider the pnm who is in the midst of a stressful process. She might feel undue pressure posting here, and although I don't think any posts here would change her decision on which sorority to affiliate with, it might just cause general discomfort, which as we all know, is the last thing anyone needs rush week.
How do you all, as ADPis, suggest we represent ourselves and act in the most Panhellenic way in our posts? We don't need to limit this conversation to just "shameless plugs", we can open it up to disscussing how we can encourage women who come to post here to value their opportunity to "Go Greek," and be supportive to this process in general. If they end up in ADPi, that's just wonderful.
I'd especially love to hear from our new ADPis on the board, you all have just gone through the process, so your perspective is invaluable. It's also very ADPi to participate fully and with enthusiasm as a new member, as we are an organization that values each and every woman with no thought to rank or age, so I'd love to see some posts from all you Alphas and new sisters!

Okay, I'll wrap it up. Can't wait to hear from my very intelligent sisters.
violets

2nd post: sweetie adpi:

i think shameless plugs are a waste of space haha... i *think* i tried to avoid becoming one of the masses doing so... yeah maybe they are fun, but they still take away from the pnm's story sometimes... plus if you aren't a member or have knowledge of that chapter on that particular campus, you don't know who you are urging them on to... and if they would fit in. i know everyone is proud of their org everywhere, and wants new sisters for all their chapters, but a shameless plug isn't really something i would want to sway a pnm's decision... (and, i would hope it wouldn't, anyways) (though urging someone to give an org a chance in the case of one of the recent rush threads is different than a shameless plug - but who knows if even that urging had to do with the final decision? but i digress)

naming names - i don't mind if the person has tact... don't insult my org though... or my friends' sorority either for that matter, just because they aren't for you doesn't mean that they aren't my or someone else's sisters... and i guarantee somewhere out thereon another campus is a chapter of your new organization just like the other organization's that you don't like on your campus.

threads i appreciate the most use numbers, but list in alphabetical order the sororities being visited, and where you end up preffing... does this make sense? anyways gotta run, byes!

3rd post, honeychile:

I too appreciate the use of numbers & alphabetical lists from pnm's - as long as they tell us who they're preffing!!

I found myself genuinely feeling sorry for the woman (was is MelissaS?) who had fallen in love with ADPi and was crushed that they dropped her. I couldn't help but feel my consolation was given a, "Yeah, sure!" by her.

I think one can plug ADPi tactfully. I've also seen some really tacky "shameless plugs" that made me glad they weren't representing ADPi. I really do try to rush Panhellenically, but once they've made the right choice, they are fair game for us to love!

honeychile

4th post, violets:

Quote:
I too appreciate the use of numbers & alphabetical lists from pnm's - as long as they tell us who they're preffing!!

I found myself genuinely feeling sorry for the woman (was is MelissaS?) who had fallen in love with ADPi and was crushed that they dropped her. I couldn't help but feel my consolation was given a, "Yeah, sure!" by her.

I think one can plug ADPi tactfully. I've also seen some really tacky "shameless plugs" that made me glad they weren't representing ADPi. I really do try to rush Panhellenically, but once they've made the right choice, they are fair game for us to love!

Well said, Honeychile. As you all must know already Barbara started a thread for this topic on the Rush board itself.
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showt...?threadid=24407

I think it was great of her to make the decision to end the "shameless plugs" altogether. I'm also very happy to see that ADPis were not very involved in giving very many of those plugs (though I do admit that I have done it myself) I think that we have been very supportive or pnms in general and that any "plugs" we did were done in the spirit of fun.

I'm always so proud of ADPis when the post on this board, I think my sisters best represent our sisterhood with their words and actions.

violets

4th post, ASUADPi:

Even though this thread is like three years old, with recruitment coming up I think it is so important for us to NOT do what is mentioned in this thread.

I honestly can't say I recall anyone (out of all sororities) behaving this way but it's better for us to be aware than to be sorry.

5th post, ADPi Conniebama:

I realize I am a newby compared to alot of yall but, since I have been on greek chat I have only seen 2 or 3 recruitment stories that actually used the sororities names. And, you could tell by the end of their recrutment that they regretted being specific.

However, I do admit, that I liked seeing the sororities names for purely selfish reasons and I did not do any "shameless plugs" cause I wasn't a GCer yet. But, when I was reading them I really knew what they were talking about when they used the exact sorority names (most likely 'cause I don't have a great imagination so when they spell it out for me I can follow along better).

YET, I understand and respect the idea of them discontinuing to use the real names of the sororities that they are looking @. I don't like them not even telling us what school they go to, but again that is for purely selfish reasons.

So, the reason for this post is that I try to alway say good luck when a new PM starts a recrutiment thread for a few reasons. . . .1) if their is an ADPi at their university, it can't hurt to say good luck and have fun. . . . and 2) it subscribes me to the thread so I will see all of the posts and be reminded through e-mail that I gotta check out GC.

Is that OK? Or, am I way off base of what this thread was set up for? If so, don't make fun. I just wanted to be involved.

Have A GREAT Recruitment Season.

Sixth post, honeychile:

When I first joined GreekChat, the "shameless plugs" were outrageous and, in reality, a form of dirty rushing. Pammy PNM would say that she was down to ABC, DEF, GH, IJK, and LMN - and there would be dozens of posts pumping up those GLOs! I'm talking about size 6 letters in sorority colors, saying, "Shameless Plug for ABC!!" The REALLY tacky stuff has been deep-sixed, and PenquinTrax and Carnation are doing their best to keep it clean.

Let's all remember to be Panhellenic! It is one thing to wish someone good luck, another to harass them - for all we know, that particular PNM was cut or dropped out of Recruitment, and IT IS NOT OUR BUSINESS!! Let's also remember that you will find yourself developing the same sort of "rush crush" that you have/had in school - I'll be the first to admit that I was ssooooooo happy that texas*princess went ADPi!! - but it can hurt you, too. Again, wish them well with their choice, and think Panhellenic.

Lastly, since we have a LOT of newbies since last year, let's not forget that it IS possible to be snookered, that someone who says she got a bid from ADPi *cough - maxcheerz - cough* might be some psycho wanting to find out things, or just pull our chain. PLEASE!!!!! When the new Alphas show up, let's ALL encourage them to sign in on our information thread!! I hate sounding this paranoid, but even worse would be going through that nastiness again. If you have any questions about the veracity of a new member, listen to your gut, and PM me. Thanks!!

7th post, ASUADPi:

Cosign with honey...

It was very hard with the maxcheerz issue because we were duped. We all instantly believed her, then instantly accepted her as a sister. It was very hard and we were very hurt when we discovered it was a lie (if you wanna know what happened please just pm me).

8th post, CougADPi:

Different Rush Thread related question
For the first time that I can remember there is someone with a rush thread who is actually going through at my school. I will not be there for rush so its not like I will run into her or anything, but would it also be inappropriate of me to post on her thread? I don't want to do the wrong thing, and am just unsure of the proper etiquette for this situation.

9th post, honey Chile:

CougADPi, it's okay for you to post (it happens fairly often!), but again, think Panhellenic and don't ruin her chances with other houses. You'll probably figure out which house is which, and you won't want to post that Strawberry = ADPi or whatever. You have good judgment!

10th post, nauadpi:

Also, a reminder to people... If you are unsure of whether to post or not on a thread but want to see what is happening along the way you can always just hit the link the subscribe to the thread... This can be found at the bottom of the page...

11th post, adpiucf:
....bump....

12th post, honey Chile:

Quote:
Originally posted by nauadpi
Also, a reminder to people... If you are unsure of whether to post or not on a thread but want to see what is happening along the way you can always just hit the link the subscribe to the thread... This can be found at the bottom of the page...
This bears repeating, especially because it's been mentioned that we need to be more Panhellenic in our enthusiasm.

I know we're all excited, and want so very much for every PNM to go ADPi, but we have to remember to think Panhellenically! Most of us have Alpha Delta Pi in our signatures - let that and your gracious attitude speak for themselves!

Edited To Add: Remember, your enthusiasm could cause a problem which could result in a chapter losing PNMs to dirty rushing...

13th post, ADPi ConnieBama:

You know, I was just reading through some old rush threads and what I hate is when the pm is posting 2 to 3 times a day throughout recruitment - asking questions - enjoying the process - explaining her hard decisions. Then bid day comes and goes and NOTHING.

I mean I know they have a life but, HELLO I am an old married woman with nothing better to do on a Friday night but learn what choices these girls made. Don't they appreciate us? Don't they know what they are putting us through? Even if they cut everyone or they didn't get exactly what they wanted. We were there for them. Laying our hearts on the line. Telling them our rush events.

Just kidding yall I havent gone crazy yet. I just new I couldn't put that stuff down on a poor pms "rush thread"

And I am dying to find out about SilM??? I don't even know if ADPi is in the running I just love to see the beginning of a young ladies greek life.

14th post, honeychile:[/i]

Quote:

Originally posted by ADPi Conniebama
You know, I was just reading through some old rush threads and what I hate is when the pm is posting 2 to 3 times a day throughout recruitment - asking questions - enjoying the process - explaining her hard decisions. Then bid day comes and goes and NOTHING.

I mean I know they have a life but, HELLO I am an old married woman with nothing better to do on a Friday night but learn what choices these girls made. Don't they appreciate us? Don't they know what they are putting us through? Even if they cut everyone or they didn't get exactly what they wanted. We were there for them. Laying our hearts on the line. Telling them our rush events.

Just kidding yall I havent gone crazy yet. I just new I couldn't put that stuff down on a poor pms "rush thread"

And I am dying to find out about SilM??? I don't even know if ADPi is in the running I just love to see the beginning of a young ladies greek life.
That's the hard part. She could be out celebrating with her new sisters, she could be home, crying to her mother & too embarrassed to say anything - we don't know. And it's not really our right to know. We have to keep that in mind, too.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Lastly, would ALL sisters who are reading the Rush and Recruitment threads PLEASE READ AND MEMORIZE the "What to say..." and "What not to say..." threads?

Even if you already think you have, please, please take the time to re-read each of the threads. We need to show a gracious and intelligent attitude in ALL of our posts, but most especially in these Forums!

Thank you!!
Closed Thread