Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,305
1 members and 1,304 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Imus Still in Hot Water

NEW YORK - Unimpressed by his on-air apology or corporate promises of a tighter leash, angry critics of nationally syndicated radio host Don Imus called Saturday for his dismissal over his racially charged comments about the mostly black Rutgers women's basketball team.

"I accept his apology, just as I want his bosses to accept his resignation," said the Rev. Al Sharpton. He promised to picket Imus' New York radio home, WFAN-AM, unless the veteran of nearly 40 years of anything-goes broadcasting is gone within a week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070407/...t/imus_apology

I really liked Imus until this incident. Imus In the Morning is great and always had controversial aspects to it ("Lord hear our prayer") but I found him funny. People always go too far with the jokes, though.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I too thought that Imus was funny. I actually heard him say this last week and my mouth was on the floor. I mean totally out of line and uncalled for. I went on to MSNBC's website and found their e-mail and sent of an e-mail letting them know how disgusted I was. I think he should be fired. I thought his apology(which came 2 days later) was just a half assed attempt to smooth things over, but it didn't work me. Imus was on Al Sharpton's show this morning but I haven't been able to hear it yet.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't follow Don Imus' show and despite how cynical he may be at times, what he stated in regards to these young, college-educated African American women was completely out of line and proves what some people still think about the African American race.

I am tired of people slipping at the tongue with these extremely racist comments, and a simple apology and comments such as, "I have tons of black friends," is all we get. Let's look at the trend here, it wasn't too long ago that we were discussing Michael Richards' outburst. What upsets me most is that these people are not just using the n-word; they are going all out and putting us back into slavery. "Nappy-headed hos," tatoo-just hardcore hos." Forget that, let's read their entire dialogue:

IMUS: That’s some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and—

McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.

IMUS: That’s some nappy-headed hos there. I’m gonna tell you that now, man, that’s some—woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like—kinda like—I don’t know.

McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.

IMUS: Yeah.

McGUIRK: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes—that movie that he had.

I am steaming just reading this again.

To raise another point, I watched a segment on CNN this past Saturday regarding this incident. The news anchor kept asking the President of the National Association of Black Journalist why were African Americans so offended by Imus' comment when rap artists say things like this in their music consistently with no consequence. Though she was playing devil's advocate, I think she raised a very good point. We need to stop supporting these hip hop artists that degrade African Americans. I know a lot of times we're simply listening to the beat (that's me), but at the end of the day, people [of other ethnicities] can say, "if they can talk about themselves like that, why can't I"?

I'm just tired.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

so are mcguirk or the other commentator (who made the gay remarks later in the segment) getting any reprimands?

Imus wasn't having a conversation with himself.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
so are mcguirk or the other commentator (who made the gay remarks later in the segment) getting any reprimands?

Imus wasn't having a conversation with himself.
I found both conversations by both comentators offensive-I couldn't believe it references to women as not being women and racist stereotypes on the air! Whatever happened to America as a melting pot and tolerance for diversity. Why such disparaging remarks agains people of color and women?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

they should be fired.....at least
Old 04-09-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

i just can't believe some of the things people are ALLOWED to say on the radio anymore. not just this incident, but people can basically cuss or use off-color language (in conversation, advertising, and of course the music) and it's o.k.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope he keeps his show, I enjoy it.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Amazing Imus speaks his mind and is chastised.

Being PC is getting so over board that one cannot say any thing with out getting in TROUBLE?

It may have been His beliefs as He saw it, but how many others say things that are accepted without a word?

Oh, I am not a big Imus Fan or anyother talk radio nut!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
It may have been His beliefs as He saw it, but how many others say things that are accepted without a word?
Is he a deity or something?

Old 04-09-2007, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm shocked to hear some of the comments made on this thread. He spoke his mind to millions of listeners and it was not okay in no way, shape, or form. Nuff said.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Fine, if he should be kicked off for this, Imus should be fired retroactively for making comments about executing President Bush. Or, we could let the apology stand, stop wasting time being so outraged about petty things, and be productive members of society. Hell, maybe with all that productivity we gain, somebody will invent a magic switch which allows us to turn off something we don't want to listen to or view.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to unspokenone25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Fine, if he should be kicked off for this, Imus should be fired retroactively for making comments about executing President Bush. Or, we could let the apology stand, stop wasting time being so outraged about petty things, and be productive members of society. Hell, maybe with all that productivity we gain, somebody will invent a magic switch which allows us to turn off something we don't want to listen to or view.
Do you even think racism exists in this country? Or is something that us colored folks have been dreaming up in our heads all these years?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Firstly, I never said he should get kicked off; I simply conveyed my position on him using these blatant derogatory statements. Honestly, I knew nothing about Imus prior to hearing about this controversy so I am not aware of what he's said before. I am, however incensed by the fact that you call it "petty." What is "petty" about those comments? Please help me see what you're seeing. And if I see the light, I promise to apologize for not reading the memo.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
they should be fired.....at least
If firing is the least, what else should happen?