Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 868
0 members and 868 guests
No Members online

Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Brett Favre leaving the Packers?

Is anyone else watching the events happening surrounding Brett Favre?

Any thoughts? Time to retire or time to go to another team?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Always loved watching Farve play at Green Bay

I hope he goes on to the Vikes
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

He needs to retire. His career is going to start to diminish if he keeps playing at his age.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
He needs to retire. His career is going to start to diminish if he keeps playing at his age.
It's not his age that is a detriment...obviously he still has talent to do what he did last season considereing he had less talent around him then than he did a few years before...what is making it bad is the attitude that he has about coming back....he just doesn't want to take his ball and go home and he is making himself look bad in Green Bay....I really can't see him getting a lot of open arms should he go play somewhere else and sitting another up and comer on teh bench just so HE can play (altho Atlanta could use him!). And who is to say? He will play this season and then there will be another Favre watch come next summer as he makes up his mind about playing.

Favre is starting to look like an attention whore.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a lot of the stuff coming out of the Green Bay front office is funny. First, Favre would be the team's best quarterback if he came back, and as a veteran, it's not like it would take him a lot more time to master changes in the playbook.

As to the Packers moving on...well, they can still take their time with Rodgers, and if he were to bolt, they just drafted Brian Brohm, who profiles to be a potential starter in the NFL.

I don't agree with the way Favre has handled things; to me, the worst part was his sending messages to the media through his family. Having his mother and brother go on talk shows to express his desire to return was interesting, to say the least.

Other than that - it's a ridiculous situation, although it gives Peter King the opportunity to write about Favre in every one of his columns (not that he hasn't been doing that already).

ETA: If I remember correctly, the Packers have a lot of room left under the salary cap. So, carrying his salary for this year probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Last edited by KSigkid; 07-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a Favre or Packers fan so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think he's really ruining his legacy. He's gone back and forth the last couple of years to begin with, but to do the whole "I'm really retiring and let's have some big farewell celebration and emotional speeches" and STILL play this "well now maybe I want to come back" game is just juvenile.

I can sympathize with his desire to play - but it's really turning into a circus. And that's a shame.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Funny, I just had an indepth telephone debate about 10 minutes ago with a friend in my fantasy football league about this very topic.

I'm not a Favre fan, and think he's not handled this retire/unretire thing well, and put the Packers front office in a terrible bind.....but a tested, HOF, quality QB who took them deep in the playoffs last year, and had one of his top five best seasons of his career....there's no reason to go with A. Rogers at this point.

Favre is counting on the front office not wanting the training camp circus of a $12 million clip-board holder, and that they'll release him....so he can walk to the Vikings, the Bears, the Bucs or the Jets ....but that's not likely.

Optimally for the Pack, they can hold him into the start of the season and if another team has a QB injury they can then extract more for a trade for Favre than they could get at present.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
While I usually agree with you...not this time.

What do you think about Micheal Jordans legacy? Especially since he came back and all to the Wizards. Or Joe Montanas? They weren't hurt badly at all for coming back at their old ages.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Green Bay ought to let Brett do what he pleases!

He played his heart for them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

What do you think about Micheal Jordans legacy? Especially since he came back and all to the Wizards. Or Joe Montanas? They weren't hurt badly at all for coming back at their old ages.
it's not the coming back part at all...it's the 'he cant make up his mind from one year to the next if he gonna retire" part that has people pissed....

and let's get it right...MJ retired the first time...you knew he was coming back...teh 2nd time....you knew he was done for good....

Joe Montana??? I don't even see how that fits....you have to explain that one...as far as I remember it.... he played...retired and stayed retired.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
it's not the coming back part at all...it's the 'he cant make up his mind from one year to the next if he gonna retire" part that has people pissed....

and let's get it right...MJ retired the first time...you knew he was coming back...teh 2nd time....you knew he was done for good....

Joe Montana??? I don't even see how that fits....you have to explain that one...as far as I remember it.... he played...retired and stayed retired.
Montana didn't retire and come back, but he did leave SF with some controversy when he went to the Chiefs. There were questions about whether SF was ready to move on with Steve Young (his previous starting experience in Tampa Bay wasn't great), and some question of whether Montana was being forced out for the new guy (like the situation with Favre).
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Montana didn't retire and come back, but he did leave SF with some controversy when he went to the Chiefs. There were questions about whether SF was ready to move on with Steve Young (his previous starting experience in Tampa Bay wasn't great), and some question of whether Montana was being forced out for the new guy (like the situation with Favre).
ok...thanks...that clears it up....
Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

Michael Jordan was even worse. He left basketball to play baseball! Then he left baseball (cuz he wasn't that good) and came back to basketball and then retired again. They seem like attention whores to me when they pull that kind of crap.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Michael Jordan was even worse. He left basketball to play baseball! Then he left baseball (cuz he wasn't that good) and came back to basketball and then retired again. They seem like attention whores to me when they pull that kind of crap.
Weak comparison. Jordan won a three more titles after he came back. Jordan never screwed his team like Farve.

Jordan is argueable the best player to ever play the game while Farve is an interception waiting to happen.

Farve is a spoiled, immature, obnoxious, self centered, punk ass bitch. Disney miscast Lindsay Lohan in Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. Farve should have had the lead in that movie.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I guess at says where you stand.

LX Z # 1
Alumni