GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,163
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, TSigmaSlay
» Online Users: 965
1 members and 964 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 09-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Unhappy UPenn Fraternity & Sorority Suspended

SDT, ZBT suspended from U. for year
Tri-Delt, TEP on probation for alcohol policy violations; TEP to go dry

By Dax Thomas

September 04, 2003

The Sigma Delta Tau sorority and the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity have lost their charters and have been suspended by the University for one academic year for violating alcohol policies.
The Delta Delta Delta sorority and the Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity were placed on probationary status for the same violations. In addition, TEP will be forced to go dry for the duration of the probation.

All four houses co-hosted unregistered, off-campus parties involving alcohol, at which "high-risk service and consumption of alcohol occurred," read a statement released by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs yesterday.

In addition to the suspensions, a "significant" number of members from SDT and ZBT have been expelled from their respective houses, according to OFSA Scott Reikofski.

SDT -- which was already on probation for violating alcohol and anti-hazing policies -- and ZBT -- which was already on probation for violating alcohol, drug and dry rush policies -- now have colony status.

In one academic year, they can petition both OFSA and their national headquarters to regain charter status if they have reached an appropriate size -- which Reikofski estimates at 42 members.

Members of both organizations will continue to live in their Greek houses.

Despite sanctions, the two colonies will be able to participate in rush, according to officers from the Panhellenic and InterFraternity councils.

Although IFC President Seth Cohen is a member of ZBT, "he'll be able to keep that role" as president, Reikofski said.

"I am confident that my brothers and my fraternity will be able to handle the situation in a mature and responsible manner," Cohen said, noting that he has every intention of remaining at the IFC helm.

Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum called the four punishments "unprecedented," adding that "the nationals took the allegations against all four of the chapters extremely seriously and were very diligent in their investigations."

SDT was in its second year of probation when violations occurred. Furthermore, according to OFSA's statement, "the chapter deliberately obstructed, delayed and interfered with the investigative efforts of the O[ffice of] S[tudent] C[onduct]."

The SDT national office no longer acknowledges the SDT chapter as an official chapter, but it will oversee the sanctions, which according to Reikofski, will include educational programming and community service. Also, a graduate assistant will be hired by the University to work with the sorority on "regular intervention programming and educational activities."

Dianna Cohen, president of SDT, said she is not worried about rushing as a colony, as "the sorority has always filled its quota."

ZBT was in the second year of its three-year probation before violations occurred.

The fraternity will also have to work with a graduate assistant on intervention programming and educational activities.

John Yulish, the executive director of the National Office of Zeta Beta Tau, reinforced the decision to suspend the chapter, saying it was "done to show the chapter we're serious.... Hopefully this sends a message."

Yulish added he will be "coming to campus a few times each semester" to check on the status of the fraternity.

Jon Schottenstein, the president of ZBT, saw the charter suspension as a chance to "reorganize ourselves as a chapter."

"I've spoken with the leadership of both ZBT and SDT and I feel that they are implementing a lot of positive changes," said Conor O'Callaghan, executive vice president of the IFC. "And I think the freshmen will see those changes, and I don't think there will be a negative impact on the rush process."

Tri-Delt is facing the lesser punishment of probation, as the chapter "had no previous disciplinary action," according to OFSA's statement.

Tri-Delt's president and the sorority's national office could not be reached for comment last night.

TEP's president and the fraternity's national office could not be reached for comment last night as well.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:52 AM
ztawinthropgirl

I am no longer under this screename for GC.

Last edited by ztawinthropgirl; 09-11-2003 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad to see administrations & nationals taking the steps when they are warranted.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scpiano211
Arya, why is it you only post negative articles about Greeks on greekchat? It seems to happen right before recruitment. Hmm? Seems as if you are a disgruntled independent that went through recruitment and didn't get a bid. Or it could be the opposite and got a bid from a group that you didn't want.
Arya is a SigEp from a school in Buffalo and as far as I know, he is quite happy about it.

It's not often that we hear positive articles about hazing/risk management - if you don't want to hear bad news, I'd just stay out of this forum.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Seems as if you are a disgruntled independent that went through recruitment and didn't get a bid.
Yeah, that's it.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:09 AM
ztawinthropgirl

oh I was just making an observation that Arya always posts negative articles. I also am aware that there are no positive stories about risk management infractions. Thanks for keeping my perception of reality in check, though.

Last edited by ztawinthropgirl; 09-11-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Greeks Looking To Repair Tarnished Image

Pretty negative to me.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Arya, why is it you only post negative articles about Greeks on greekchat? It seems to happen right before recruitment. Hmm? Seems as if you are a disgruntled independent that went through recruitment and didn't get a bid. Or it could be the opposite and got a bid from a group that you didn't want.
That's a pretty uninformed & unnecessary personal attack. God forbid anyone see an article that is relevant to this forum of discussion & share it with us, lest they be personally attacked. In case you didn't notice, this is the Risk Management & Hazing forum. Are you insulting others who post here regularly?

Although its frustrating to read them, it is absolutely appropriate for articles of this sort to be posted here-regardless of the time of year-because we as Greeks need to be kept informed about current events of this sort, so we can HOPEFULLY learn from the experiences of other schools/chapters.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:30 AM

Maybe I am not awake yet, but it sounds like this article is full of double talk...if SDT is suspended, how can they be a colony and do rush and such? I guess what I'm wondering is what "suspended" actually means in Penn-ese.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The SDT national office no longer acknowledges the SDT chapter as an official chapter, but it will oversee the sanctions, which according to Reikofski, will include educational programming and community service.
I'm confused about this one. Are they or are they not suspended or are they under sanction?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I think SDT's charter was suspended but they will still be allowed to recruit new women - maybe just not initiate them until they have met the requirements?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think SDT's charter was suspended but they will still be allowed to recruit new women - maybe just not initiate them until they have met the requirements?
There is something confussing about that... according to SDTs website they have 131 members.. they have already meet that requirement. The national office no longer recognizes the chapter?, but the school will hire a graduate asst to help them?

Who knows, maybe UPenn is supportive of Greek Life, but must appear to punish? Since I know nothing about Greek Life at UPenn, I am only guessing.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angels&Arrows
There is something confussing about that... according to SDTs website they have 131 members.. they have already meet that requirement. The national office no longer recognizes the chapter?, but the school will hire a graduate asst to help them?

Who knows, maybe UPenn is supportive of Greek Life, but must appear to punish? Since I know nothing about Greek Life at UPenn, I am only guessing.

According to the article, a lot of people are no longer members - and it said they were both expected to get up to 42, or maybe that was just ZBT.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Maybe I am not awake yet, but it sounds like this article is full of double talk...if SDT is suspended, how can they be a colony and do rush and such? I guess what I'm wondering is what "suspended" actually means in Penn-ese.
It means their alumni donate a lot of money to Penn.

Last edited by madmax; 09-09-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
It means there alumni donate a lot of money to Penn.
I believe he may be onto something here!
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.