Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,449
0 members and 1,449 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Sigma Nu expansion to Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles -- HELP! :(

Hello to all SigNu's here. I have friends from Eta Phi to Kappa Gamma to even the colonizing UCF. Great job out there bros!

Sigma Nu has always been good to me as I visited my friends on college campuses. And for the longest I've been wanting to bring a chapter here to LMU.

At the time, Jeff Feighner was director of expansion and was looking into the idea. However here at LMU we had a very bitchy director of greek life who wasn't so open to the idea of bringing SN here.

See the thing is, LMU is a private institution. We govern our affairs however we please. Lately we have admitted the Tri-Delts and Beta Theta Pi as the newest chapters here.

the process here is a little different. normally an interest group is formed, you contact your local greek office and then your national hq. then the ball gets rolling.

however, here at lmu, a directive is formed to decided whether or not a new chapter should be let into LMU. after that, invites are sent out to all nationals; whomever accepts come in to present why they should be the ones picked. I don't know the rest of the procedure but after some voting, the winning greek chapter is informed and then the integration process begins.

i wanted so bad to have SN here @ LMU as they'd be a wonderful addition to the growing greek community but i feel as though i wouldn't have much support. ucla and usc sig nu's are doing their own things and nat'l is focusing on the recolonization of csun. even so jeff has been a great guy. however his successor russell hammond is something else.

he brushed me off and even years later still doesn't reply to my emails, which kinda dampens my look at SN.

so enough of my sob story. what can i do to bring SN here? what type of support can i rally from the socal chapters? and finally, how can i get lmu and HQ to listen and consider?!?!

Thanks

LTH.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

That's weird to hear about Russ... He's been nothing but helpful and supportive to us during our colonization period. I'd say call headquarters directly and just keep calling until you get results. Not sure what else to do, but good luck and keep us updated!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

BK:

Your best bet would be to locate an influential (read: wealthy) alumnus to give you some backing in this endeavor. That is exactly what happened at my school, a brother alumnus who is on the board at the Foundation had a son going to our school, there was no chapter here, and they were accepting applications for expansion. Sigma Nu of course had a great presentation, and long story short, the Mu Tau chapter was born 3 years later.

You might also consider forming an interest group. If you can get 30 or so guys together in your own 'local' organization, finding a national organization to colonize you is a lot easier.

Sigma Nu's expansion budget is not unlimited. I imagine that our recruitment/expansion director is doing all within his power to have a successful program. At this time, he might have a better deal elsewhere than at your school. Don't take it personally, just try to make the situation better at your school than the other ones. Ultimately, it's not whether they like you, respect you, or whatever that guides the decision to colonize, it's how difficult, how expensive, and how many man hours will IHQ have to expend in colonizing your chapter that is the real question.

Also, I think there is more emphasis on recolonization lately than expansion -- the ready-made alum networks can be extremely helpful.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

strubbe and kt,

thanks so much for your input. i know last, it takes alot of work on expansion last i spoke with russ some 2-3 years ago. i'm at the tail end of my undergrad education so i don't think it's going to happen in my tenure, however i would want a chapter here.

how can the socal chapters be of assistance? and how do i find an interested alum to help establish such procedure?

any assistance would be AWESOME. i'm going to email/call russ once again to see what's going on.

i know they just finished recolonizations at CSUN.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

I'd start by contacting local chapter presidents and letting them know about your intentions. They might be able to hook you up with one such alumnus.

Start there and see where that leads.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-16-2006, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, if I am reading this email correctly....Ahhh I don't think Russ is interested anymore

Quote:
First my apologies for not responding to your email sooner. Somehow it got lost in the shuffle.

I would be interested in talking with you about Sigma Nu at LMU. I will let you know that we have not really renewed our interest in Sigma Nu at LMU but would still be glad to speak with you. Is there a day and time this week that we might be able to catch-up via phone? Thanks.

Russ

Oh well, I would like to believe all these years, I'm a Sigma Nu at heart.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

you should contact Chris Healy, he's been talking about his goal of re-opening or just plain founding all kinds of California chapters. The expansion process at SJSU is a huge pain too. Chris really is looking to expand in the future though. Put together a group of guys who want into Sigma Nu and then talk to Chris, it's usually easier to talk to ground level guys like Consultants...
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter