GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,541
2 members and 1,539 guests
John

Old 11-12-2004, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Hazing Allegations at U of Washington

According to today's (Nov. 12) student paper, Pi Beta Phi at the U of Washington will probably get "sanctions" due to alleged hazing. And yes, according to the article, pictures were posted on a fraternity's web site, which wasn't the brightest move in the world, IMHO.

As far as the larger picture goes, of course, by effectively taking the U of Washington chapter out of competition for the next Balfour Cup, Stoolman Vase, or Philadelphia Bowl -- let's be realistic -- the chances are slightly improved for all the other chapters around the country.

http://thedaily.washington.edu/news....=10790&-search

Sorority likely to face hazing punishment

By Lydia Wright
November 12, 2004

Sanctions against the Pi Beta Phi sorority will likely be recommended to UW officials today in response to allegations that the sorority hazed new recruits in September.

According to a two-page letter sent last month to Pi Beta Phi president Meagen Beattie from Sarah Hansen, assistant to the vice president, the allegations violated the sorority's recognition agreement with the UW and could result in disciplinary action.

"We're hoping to move forward by [today]," said Hansen, who at the sorority's request will recommend any sanctions to the vice president for student affairs, the Pi Beta Phi national headquarters and the UW Panhellenic Association.

The letter claims that photographs of the sorority's members and pledges engaging in compromising activities were posted on the Beta Theta Pi fraternity's Web site. The sorority allegedly forced women to wear revealing outfits like cut tank tops and short shorts and participate in a food fight with fraternity men while spectators consumed alcoholic beverages.

Pi Beta Phi also allegedly "exposed women to rough and potentially dangerous physical activity."

The photographs are no longer on the fraternity's Web site, and Beattie declined to comment on the allegations or any internal disciplinary action taken by the sorority.

The activities violate the dry event policy for UW sororities, as well as state laws regarding underage alcohol consumption and registering a party. Under the terms of the recognition agreement, Pi Beta Phi is responsible for taking disciplinary action against anyone who violated the terms of the agreement.

According to the recognition agreement, sanctions could range from a warning to a monetary fine or probation. Hansen said the UW has not issued sanctions to the Phi Beta Phi sorority before. . . .

Last edited by exlurker; 11-12-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Stupid on all accounts by all Greeks!

Not just Men or Women, Blacks or Whites or any other Color of a Greek Organization.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-14-2004, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The sorority allegedly forced women to wear revealing outfits like cut tank tops and short shorts and participate in a food fight with fraternity men while spectators consumed alcoholic beverages.
Does not sound hazing to me based on that description alone. Sounds like a food fight broke out at an exchange/social/mixer.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
Does not sound hazing to me based on that description alone. Sounds like a food fight broke out at an exchange/social/mixer.
Maybe, maybe not. I suppose one question would be whether the activities fell under the Washington State legal definition of hazing:

RCW 28B.10.900
"Hazing" defined.
As used in RCW 28B.10.901 and 28B.10.902, "hazing" includes any method of initiation into a student organization or living group, or any pastime or amusement engaged in with respect to such an organization or living group that causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger or physical harm, or serious mental or emotional harm, to any student or other person attending a public or private institution of higher education or other postsecondary educational institution in this state. "Hazing" does not include customary athletic events or other similar contests or competitions.

Another question would be whether the activities met the sorority's policy definition of hazing, or the policy definition used by the university or the universitys's Panhellenic Council.

University definitions are at

http://depts.washington.edu/ovpsa/greek/hazing.html

Determining the answers to questions like those I mentioned can sometimes be difficult. For instance, the reported allegation of being "forced" to wear revealing clothing -- could that cause or be likely to cause serious mental or emotional harm? Maybe, for some. Could food-fight kinds of activities cause or be likely to cause bodily danger or physical harm? Maybe -- possible slipping, falling, getting stuff in eyes, etc.

It'll be interesting to see what decisions are made.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-14-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My understanding is that it involved the women spraying the Beta pledges with things like chocolate syrup so it really wasn't a food fight.

Plus, I've been told that Beta was already being watched by the University for past infractions.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
My understanding is that it involved the women spraying the Beta pledges with things like chocolate syrup so it really wasn't a food fight.
So perhaps, if -- repeat, IF -- that's part of what happened, it could possibly -- repeat, POSSIBLY-- fall within the part of the university's definition that includes "Stunts which have no meaningful relationship to the objectives of the organization."

Quote:
Plus, I've been told that Beta was already being watched by the University for past infractions.
Useful observation! If memory serves, there have been lots of GC posts about problems at various chapters in which people essentially say they aren't surprised, this has happened before, a particular chapter has been in trouble for other things . . . . People and chapters can change, but sometimes it takes considerable guidance and effort on the part of undergraduates, alumni, and college staff.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:28 PM

I remember having a "tank top and boxer shorts" mixer - everyone wore them, not just pledges. I think the main thing here isn't the clothes or the food but the fact that they were allegedly being used as "entertainment" while others looked on.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hazing allegations go overboard

Hazing allegations go overboard

By Zach Musgrave
November 16, 2004
On Friday and Monday, The Daily reported that the Pi Beta Phi sorority could face disciplinary action from the UW in response to allegations that it hazed new recruits in September. According to the article, Beta Theta Pi fraternity members were allegedly forced to kneel with pillowcases over their heads while scantily clad sorority women poured flavored syrup and whipped cream on them.
Normally I steer clear of the scandals in the Greek community for the same reason that I chose not to rush in the first place: I have enough drama in my life without it being "institutionalized." Today, however, I make an exception. The Office of Student Affairs seems determined to push its definition of hazing even farther into the realm of absurdity. In punishing the sisters of Pi Beta Phi for hazing, the administration will overextend its reach into students' lives and far overstep the intended scope of hazing rules.
The UW student conduct code defines hazing as an initiation procedure that "causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger or physical harm, or serious mental or emotional harm." This matches the definition of the state law (RCW 28B.10.900) to the same effect. But unless the food fight involved whole pineapples and coconuts hurled fastball-style by the fraternity men, which I seriously doubt, so far the sisters are in the clear. The UW, however, adds "such conduct as humiliation by ritual act and sleep deprivation" to its definition. Apparently, a food fight in a revealing outfit is humiliating.
I wonder if anyone in the Office of Student Affairs has taken a stroll down 17th Avenue on a Thursday night lately, or ever for that matter. The female partygoers do not dress for warmth. Revealing outfits are the rule, not the exception. It doesn't take attendance at many parties to figure that out.
I have no way of knowing how eagerly the pledges donned their short shorts and threw their food, but one thing is certain: The hazing investigation started not because any aspiring sister blew the whistle, but because a member of the fraternity, Beta Theta Pi, posted pictures of the event on his Web site. No one from the sorority complained -- it is entirely possible that none of the pledges had serious misgivings about their treatment -- but they are still in trouble. Surely these young women have the ability to decide for themselves when an activity conflicts with their moral convictions and surely they would take action, such as moving out or notifying authorities. No one did. But they didn't have to, since the UW adds yet another clause to state law's definition of hazing: "Consent is no defense to hazing."
Never mind the broad grins across faces of friends who have told me about being shut in closets with bottles of alcohol or being locked out of their house after being kept up all night. Never mind that they thoroughly enjoyed these practices, which, had they been discovered by the UW, would have resulted in hazing charges against their fraternities. When the University calls "hazing," the supposed victims' feelings matter not at all.
In early 1996, when the UW withdrew its recognition of Delta Chi fraternity because of hazing, one anonymous pledge defended his house to The Daily, saying, "I joined so I could do stupid s*** like this, so years later I could have stupid fraternity stories and make a bunch of friends in the process." He and his brothers had to close their house and leave because of the charges.
As a state institution, the UW has a responsibility to uphold state law regarding hazing. However, it can also choose to exercise discretion when common sense dictates. Hopefully, the UW administration will, for once, make the right choice and let the sisters of Pi Beta Phi off with a warning.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Hazing allegations go overboard

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Never mind the broad grins across faces of friends who have told me about being shut in closets with bottles of alcohol or being locked out of their house after being kept up all night. Never mind that they thoroughly enjoyed these practices...
I suppose this guy thought he was doing the chapter a favor, but I'm not sure the Greek System needs this kind of endorsement.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

FWIW...

Lately I've found myself indulging in a bit of "time travel". I try to imagine how I would've reacted to a situation as an undergrad, as opposed to the long-time alumnus that I am now. Sort of seeking out my "inner 19-year-old".

This first occurred a couple of weeks ago when I was in Bloomington-Normal, IL on a business trip to Illinois Wesleyan. After meeting w/their IFC, PanHel & alumni advisor meetings I traipsed north a couple of miles to stop in @ my home Lambda Chi chapter @ Illinois State.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a carload of guys/girls driving out. Nothing unusual there, I thought--there always seem to be sorority members hanging out there. When I approached the house I discovered they were in the midst of an exchange.

This is when I had an epiphany: if I walked in, I wouldn't be a Lamb Chop alum...I'd just look like somebody's dad, especially to the sorority members. I thought it'd be pretty weird if someone's father just happened to stop by a party, so I turned around, got into my sedate suburban station wagon & drove to my hotel.

I've used this same strategy w/regard to having sticky stuff poured all over me by a sorority member. Granted, at this point it would be something like an outtake from "Desperate Housewives", but as a slightly-overweight 19-year-old I would've felt pretty weird.

I mean, there we (I'm using my 16-member Associate Member class as an example) are, trying to fit in w/the actives, meeting women in our age group and trying not to look like idiots, and now we have to have some babes we don't know that well pouring chocolate on us while we're kneeling in gym shorts w/our love handles (for those that had them) hanging out...this doesn't sound like a fun activity.

Knowing what my mindset was at that time ("all for the team", since I'd been involved in interscholastic athletics since junior high), I probably would've gone through with it because we ALL had to go through it. Even though it would've been embarassing as hell, it'd be just one of those things...

I don't know, but I'm guessing the administration's looking for somebody to nail. If I were one of the staffers and used the strategy I described above, I'd probably sanction both GLOs.

Thanks,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boz130
I don't know, but I'm guessing the administration's looking for somebody to nail. If I were one of the staffers and used the strategy I described above, I'd probably sanction both GLOs.
I think what Bill says is correct, but I would just take it a step further.

Granted, there are some schools "who are out to get" Greek organizations. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes on general principles.

What many undergrads (and a fair number of alums as well) don't want to face is the fact that in many cases these administrators (or Nationals) are simply enforcing their rules or the law.

If they didn't do that, and there was an unfortunate accident, they might be held responsible. It's happening more and more often these days.

As a former Division Vice President, I was fortunate not to have had to make this kind of decision -- but, I think that I agree with Bill, at least knowing what it looks like on the surface.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Granted what the two Greek Brothers above said is so true, the mind set as many of us remember in yesteryear has changed from the rules and restrictions not only from Colleges but our own Headquarters.

Now, I guess the question would be is how different are Young Collegians that really different than any of us were in our UnderGrad days?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-19-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Update from Nov. 18 Student Paper

A Nov. 18 article in The Daily of the U of Washington gives an update on the actions by the university, the U of W Panhellenic, and Pi Beta Phi national:

http://thedaily.washington.edu/past_...=10927&-search

The headline on the Nov. 18 article is "Sorority suspended for hazing violations," if anyone prefers to search the archives of The Daily.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-19-2004 at 09:45 PM.