GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,263
5 members and 1,258 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, John, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Bridge to Terabithia

Did yall ever read this book? omg, it was my favorite book in middle school -- i remember I cried for hours! sooo good. They are coming out with a movie - super excited about it.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I don't know.

It nearly broke my heart the first time I heard the story. I felt betrayed.

How could I bear to go through that again?

Unless Disney changes some stuff.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I don't remember much about the book, except being upset at the end. We read it in 5th grade - my first year in Public School. Great teacher. Probably won't see it. I hate how a movie is always SO different than a book.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I am actually reading the book aloud to my students right now. I usually read about half a book, get them hooked, and then put it back in the shelf so they are excited to read the rest on their own. I don't think I would be able to finish the book aloud anyway.
I read it in fifth grade and remember just being in shock with the end. The commercials for the movie look nothing like the book at all. I "get" that they are trying to make their make-believe world come to life, but I don't know...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofISigKap View Post
The commercials for the movie look nothing like the book at all. I "get" that they are trying to make their make-believe world come to life, but I don't know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAMich View Post
I don't remember much about the book, except being upset at the end. We read it in 5th grade - my first year in Public School. Great teacher. Probably won't see it. I hate how a movie is always SO different than a book.

I too only really remember the end. I don't really remember much of the stuff about the make-believe world, but from what I do remember, it seemed like that wasn't that big a part of the book...that the story was much more about the friendship. From the commercials, it looks like it's going to be much more about the make-believe world and it's going to be lots of special effects. I'm not planning on seeing this movie, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it and complain about how it's not true to the book (i.e. two kids who don't fit it find friendship with each other and entertain each other with just their imaginations...nothing fancy or flashy).

PSimissU
Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

Actually, I have read quite a few articles defending the adaptation -- i think all doubters are going to be quite surprised. Even Katherine Paterson defends the film which is enough for me to see it -- even though I was going to see it anyway

http://disney.go.com/inside/mainattr...130/index.html

I can't wait
Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this movie this weekend...I never read the book, but I can say that the special effects are a minimum part of the story. I am going to have to see it again, though, because my two year old had to use the restroom at the most critical part of the movie (you pick NOW to be potty-trained??). I loved the movie. The acting was great, and the story was great.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I saw this movie this weekend...I never read the book, but I can say that the special effects are a minimum part of the story. I am going to have to see it again, though, because my two year old had to use the restroom at the most critical part of the movie (you pick NOW to be potty-trained??). I loved the movie. The acting was great, and the story was great.
it should be on DVD now right?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-16-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
it should be on DVD now right?
Yeah, but we went to the $1 theatre to see it. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. I really hadn't planned on seeing it, but I needed something to take my daughter to - she's going to be going with us next weekend to The Lion King, and I wanted to make sure she was going to be ready to sit still for 2 hours. She really did well, especially since Terabithia was a little over her head (not inappropriate, just not meant for a two, almost three year old...).