GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,330
1 members and 1,329 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-06-2003, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

New York City

Well it looks like me and Mr. AOX81 are heading off to NYC tomorrow morning. My cousin and his wife live in Yonkers but they will be working so we will pretty much be on our own. I'm not really into site-seeing but I'm trying to figure out stuff for us to do. Any suggestions??
Old 07-06-2003, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

GO SEE A SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Broadway is probably one of the GREATEST things about the city.
I'm not sure if your into museams, but if you don't consider them site seeing (which I don't; I go to them constantly, mainly because they are always changing) head over to your pick- modern art, natural history, city of new york.
plus, there is always the beach, this is the summer after all- either from new york, or personally, i like jersey beaches. eithey way, they are just a short drive away (unless it is a saturday, or at 3-5pm on a weekday, then i would aviod driving all together)

Let me know if you need anymore ideas!!!!

edited to say: there are TONS of ways to get quality seats for cheap...just ask if you are interested
Old 07-06-2003, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum on 42nd St is fantastic. I always recommend it to people.

Go to the Empire State Building for the view. It's beautiful on a clear day.

Take the Staten Island Ferry (free) past the Statue of Liberty from South Street Seaport.

Go to Chinatown, Little Italy or the Village for lunch. You're sure to find a cute little themed restaurant that you won't find anywhere else.

If you're into museums---Museum of Natural History and the Met are outstanding. Both will take hours to go to. Also, the Cloisters (medieval history museum) is very different and weird to see in Manhattan. You get a nice view of Manhattan on the way up since it's so far north.

Go to 5th Ave and window shop for all the clothes and things you could never afford in this lifetime

Hope some of these help. If you have anything specific in mind, let us know and i'll try to think of something. have fun!
Old 07-06-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
GO SEE A SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great idea, but aren't the theatres closed on Monday?

In any event, there is so much to do anytime.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely check out the Cloisters. It is beautiful musem with medieval art. Also go to the Museum of Natural Art, but don't miss their Rose Center for Earth and Space (they have a planetarium and the famous Scales of the Universe). Don't miss the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they have lots of art from various eras and from around the world. I have provided the websites below for further info.

American Museum of Natural History:
www.amnh.org

Metropolitan Museum of Art (information about the Cloisters is included):
www.metmuseum.org

I hope this is useful and have fun!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 07-06-2003, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

cheap tickets

right in the middle of broadway literally, there is a cheap tickets booth. highly recommended. you can get into a lot of stuff cheaper than you would imagine.
ditto on everything the others have said.
yeah i know i'm texas, but i lived on manhattan as a girl and have gone back several times to indulge.....
Old 07-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Banned

No no no baby.

NY is not about running through a museum with little time to take things in. NY is not about going up into tall buildings to look down on the city. NY is not about going to Broadway shows that have been playing for almost a year just because you got cheaper tickets and want to tell people you "went to a Broadway show".

Try small pizza places, get lost in our parks, spoil yourself with frozen hot chocolate at Serendipities, have a Peter Luger steak, eat a Junior's cheese cake, grab a fun off-broadway show, etc.

-Rudey
--And here's a tip for when you're in NY, if it costs more than $1.50 per slice, it's not pizza.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
DeltAlum is correct. Broadway shows as well as the Metropolitan Museum of Art are closed on Monday. Since you are staying in Yonkers, I recommend going to the Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Gardens. You won't regret it.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Try not to get "Lost in Yonkers."

Oh, that was sad. But I couldn't help myself.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you like Irish culture? There are some really good places to have the traditional Irish Breakfast (trust me, you won't need to eat for the rest of the day after one of those!) in Yonkers and New Rochelle.

Instead of being a tourist, I'd suggest you be a flaneur. If there's something you've always wanted to do, do it. But I wouldn't try to cram a lifetime's worth of memories in a few days.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
No no no baby.

NY is not about running through a museum with little time to take things in. NY is not about going up into tall buildings to look down on the city. NY is not about going to Broadway shows that have been playing for almost a year just because you got cheaper tickets and want to tell people you "went to a Broadway show".

Try small pizza places, get lost in our parks, spoil yourself with frozen hot chocolate at Serendipities, have a Peter Luger steak, eat a Junior's cheese cake, grab a fun off-broadway show, etc.

-Rudey
--And here's a tip for when you're in NY, if it costs more than $1.50 per slice, it's not pizza.
Once again Rudey, you have never been more correct.

Also come up to Harlem and check out some of our historic sites such as the Hotel Theresa and Langston Hughes' house.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh HELLZ yes Serendipity's!!!! You can go there and gorge for hours on sweet, sweet desserts - don't get dinner there though, only dessert!

Go to Washington Square Park in the early evening - do some people watching and listen to the random happy guitar people playing songs around the fountain. Alas, the Arch is under construction, but you should still be able to see it through the covering.

I have a pizza place to suggest: Mike's Pizza, on 23(about) and 3rd ave. Sooooo good, especially with extra cheese!

Check out the nightlife! There are a billion bars, lounges, clubs, and hole-in-the-walls to explore!

I'm so mad that no one mentioned Shakespeare in the Park---now THAT is something you should check out. Always a great production, and sometimes celebrities are cast. Held in Central Park, in an outdoor theater. Henry V this summer, and as always it's FREE(did I mention FREE???). Go to Union Square from 12-3 to get tickets(two per person), and you can find their website online, I believe it's thepublictheater.org, but of not search google for The Public Theater and click on the Shakespeare in Central Park link.

Go to a street fair! They're all over the place in summer, usually on the weekends, the ones I'm aquainted with are usually found in the village - the exact location shifts, there's prolly a website you could check out to see exactly where the site is on a particular day(help me out other NY'ers?)

Most of all, you must fight with all your soul and essence not to fall in love with the greatest city in the world(yes, my opinion is so modest hahaha) - you may never want to go home!
Old 07-09-2003, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got home from NYC...had a great time. When I get done unpacking and doing laundry I'll fill everyone in on what we ending up doing.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by AOX81
Just got home from NYC...had a great time. When I get done unpacking and doing laundry I'll fill everyone in on what we ending up doing.
I'm glad that you had a great time. I can't wait to read the details.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere
Go to Chinatown, Little Italy or the Village for lunch. You're sure to find a cute little themed restaurant that you won't find anywhere else.
Ferraro's for desserts, great cannolis there, and the gelati isn't too bad. It's right near Canal St. in Little Italy if you are familiar with the area.