GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,302
0 members and 1,302 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lostFRESHMAN Send a message via Yahoo to lostFRESHMAN
Intake question..

Is it possible to be enrolled in a school with an active org on campus,but still go thru intake @ a different school you are nto enrolled in?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostFRESHMAN View Post
Is it possible to be enrolled in a school with an active org on campus,but still go thru intake @ a different school you are nto enrolled in?
Since you said "intake" I will assume you are referring to an NPHC organization. Even though generally, I believe the answer will be the same:

No.

If you attend Potomac University and "Beta Chi Phi" has an active chapter on campus, you cannot seek membership at Howard University, University of Maryland, or any other local alumni or collegiate chapter.

In the case of city-wide, metropolitan, or core chapters, the answer is likely to be similar. If Beta Chi Phi has a chapter that include ONLY Potomac University and Rock Creek College, and Anacostia Tech does NOT have a chapter, that person can't just automatically go through the city-wide chapter. The proper steps must be taken to include Ana. Tech to the charter. That is not the responsibility of the aspirant.

My friend attended Georgetown and became a Zeta. Although she made contacts with the chapter at American, she ultimately became an associate member of a graduate chapter.

But you didn't ask that.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

HOWEVER...... I know someone who DID do just that, twenty years ago!

He attended Georgetown, which had an active chapter of his org, members on campus and everything..... well, he thought the members on campus were lame, so he caught the bus to University of Maryland, where they pledged and initiated him! Ooooooh the brothers at Georgetown were toooooo pissed!

He hasn't regretted that decision one bit, but as a result the organization codified the rules on metropolitan chapters and made it so that if you attend one school you must become a member at that school, or whatever chapter is associated with that school.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Since you said "intake" I will assume you are referring to an NPHC organization. Even though generally, I believe the answer will be the same:

No.

If you attend Potomac University and "Beta Chi Phi" has an active chapter on campus, you cannot seek membership at Howard University, University of Maryland, or any other local alumni or collegiate chapter.

In the case of city-wide, metropolitan, or core chapters, the answer is likely to be similar. If Beta Chi Phi has a chapter that include ONLY Potomac University and Rock Creek College, and Anacostia Tech does NOT have a chapter, that person can't just automatically go through the city-wide chapter. The proper steps must be taken to include Ana. Tech to the charter. That is not the responsibility of the aspirant.

My friend attended Georgetown and became a Zeta. Although she made contacts with the chapter at American, she ultimately became an associate member of a graduate chapter.

But you didn't ask that.
However, in the case of Delta the aspirants can start the process of chartering a campus-based chapter at Anacostia Tech if the school meets all of the requirements of a campus-based chapter--mainly being able to sustain itself with just students from that school.

But in general, as you stated, the answer to the OPs question is no.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Hope I am not being too nosy, but...

Why would there be a citywide chapter that did not include all campuses in that city?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Hope I am not being too nosy, but...

Why would there be a citywide chapter that did not include all campuses in that city?
Taking a random stab -

Maybe one of the campuses is historically black and therefore has adequate interest to sustain a chapter on its own.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, it definitely could be that. It could be a lot of other reasons too.