GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,199
0 members and 1,199 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2002, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Angela Bassett in Newsweek

Actress Angela Bassett talks about race, sex, age and Hollywood

Angela’s Fire

Ten years ago, Angela Bassett was Hollywood’s premier black actress. What happened? The ‘Sunshine State’ star talks frankly about race, sex, age and Hollywood

By Allison Samuels
NEWSWEEK

July 1 issue — Angela Bassett has a flair for the dramatic. Two hours into a long, frank interview at a Beverly Hills lounge, the actress is asked why, after not starring in a movie for four years, she turned down a chance for the lead in “Monster’s Ball.” Bassett bolts out of her overstuffed chair, and throws out her arms in a gesture worthy of her idol, Bette Davis: “It’s about character , darling.”

Click the link for the rest of the article.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/771033.asp
Old 06-24-2002, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I do not know about the rest of you, but I certainly have MORE respect for Angela. Yet, in the article, they only said she was trained at Yale, but the woman has a Master's degree from Yale. THIS WOMAN IS ALL THAT...EDUCATED AND TALENTED! (ya'll know that's a double NO-NO for the "powers that be")

-that "black don't crack" response had me ROTFLMAO!

Why is it that all of the EXCELLENT people in their craft are always underrated/underexposed?
Old 06-24-2002, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Seemingly, she is a wonderful person just as she is a greact actor.

I did not know that she and Vanessa passed up that role - - - interesting.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
More power to Angela. I especially liked how she made it clear that she was not berating Halle for doing Monster's Ball.

High five to Mrs. Vance for the "black dont crack" comment!!!! AMEN to that!!!!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting this link. I enjoyed reading the article. I also saw where Angela was criticizing the industry, rather than Halle.

As a side note, I'd love to see more Angela, Lynn Whitfield, Alfre Woodard, all these actresses of a "certain age," now that I'm getting closer to that demographic.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
Thanks for posting this link. I enjoyed reading the article. I also saw where Angela was criticizing the industry, rather than Halle.
I heard about this on the news. Everyone is trying to make it seem like Angela's hatin on Halle Berry, but as you stated, she's not. She is a very intelligent woman who I believe doesn't get the props she deserves.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I love Angela Bassett and I really hadn't realized that it's been so long since she's starred in a film. I don't go to the movies that often and since I have digital cable, her films are always on. And, the black community really loves her so she's always in our magazines.

I wish she would make some more good movies. She has something about her that I really like.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

We should have known "they" would not understand. I found this on eonline.

Bassett Bashes Berry's "Monster" Role
by Mark Armstrong
Jun 24, 2002, 11:10 AM PT

Actress Angela Bassett hasn't had a starring role on the big screen since 1998. So how is she getting her groove back? By dissing the role that earned Halle Berry an Oscar.

The 43-year-old actress is speaking out about racism, sexism and ageism in Hollywood in the latest issue of Newsweek, and she saves her harshest words for Monster's Ball, saying she turned down the film's lead role because she thinks it was demeaning to black women.

Berry later snagged the part--that of a death-row widow who inadvertently falls in love with the warden who executed her husband--and nabbed the Academy Award for Best Actress. But according to Bassett, "It's about character, darling."

"I wasn't going to be a prostitute on film," she tells the magazine. "I couldn't do that because it's such a stereotype about black women and sexuality."

Bassett swears she's not trying to criticize Berry (um, okay), but she then points out that "it's about putting something out there you can be proud of 10 years later. I mean Meryl Streep won Oscars without all that."

Berry's camp isn't commenting about Bassett's interview. But the quotes appear to be a not-so-veiled jab from a woman who Berry mentioned in her tearful Oscar acceptance speech in March, when it marked the first time an African-American woman has received the honor.

Bassett herself was once nominated for an Oscar for her gritty portrayal of Tina Turner in 1993's biopic What's Love Got to Do with It. And with a résumé that already included Boyz N the Hood and Malcolm X, Bassett followed with work in such films as Strange Days, Contact and Waiting to Exhale.

Since then, however, the lead roles have dried up: Her last starring gig came four years ago, with 1998's adaptation of the Terry McMillan book How Stella Got Her Groove Back.

So is her Monster's rant just a case of sour grapes? The Newsweek story spins Bassett as a fiercely independent woman on the comeback trail, earning critical raves for her latest role in John Sayles' ensemble drama Sunshine State. She says it's been difficult to battle Hollywood perceptions of race and age (she says both were at play when then lesser known Catherine Zeta-Jones beat her out for a role opposite Sean Connery in Entrapment) and at the same time, remain true to herself.

(Of course, not all of Bassett's film credits are nearly so high-minded: 1991's Critters 4, anyone?)

But Bassett says she's not willing to take just any role in order to keep working. "I'm not living on beans and water yet," she says. "I'll just have to wait for it to come to me. If it's supposed to be mine, it will be."

As for the Monster's Ball role, Bassett insists she's happy for Berry, and did get teary-eyed when Halle mentioned her in the Oscar speech.

"I can't and don't begrudge Halle her success," Bassett adds. "It wasn't the role for me, but I told her she'd win and I told her to go get what was hers. Of course I want one, too. I would love to have an Oscar. But it has to be for something I can sleep with at night."
Old 06-24-2002, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by AKAtude
We should have known "they" would not understand. I found this on eonline.

Bassett Bashes Berry's "Monster" Role
by Mark Armstrong
Jun 24, 2002, 11:10 AM PT

Actress Angela Bassett hasn't had a starring role on the big screen since 1998. So how is she getting her groove back? By dissing the role that earned Halle Berry an Oscar.

The 43-year-old actress is speaking out about racism, sexism and ageism in Hollywood in the latest issue of Newsweek, and she saves her harshest words for Monster's Ball, saying she turned down the film's lead role because she thinks it was demeaning to black women.

Berry later snagged the part--that of a death-row widow who inadvertently falls in love with the warden who executed her husband--and nabbed the Academy Award for Best Actress. But according to Bassett, "It's about character, darling."

"I wasn't going to be a prostitute on film," she tells the magazine. "I couldn't do that because it's such a stereotype about black women and sexuality."

Bassett swears she's not trying to criticize Berry (um, okay), but she then points out that "it's about putting something out there you can be proud of 10 years later. I mean Meryl Streep won Oscars without all that."

Berry's camp isn't commenting about Bassett's interview. But the quotes appear to be a not-so-veiled jab from a woman who Berry mentioned in her tearful Oscar acceptance speech in March, when it marked the first time an African-American woman has received the honor.

Bassett herself was once nominated for an Oscar for her gritty portrayal of Tina Turner in 1993's biopic What's Love Got to Do with It. And with a résumé that already included Boyz N the Hood and Malcolm X, Bassett followed with work in such films as Strange Days, Contact and Waiting to Exhale.

Since then, however, the lead roles have dried up: Her last starring gig came four years ago, with 1998's adaptation of the Terry McMillan book How Stella Got Her Groove Back.

So is her Monster's rant just a case of sour grapes? The Newsweek story spins Bassett as a fiercely independent woman on the comeback trail, earning critical raves for her latest role in John Sayles' ensemble drama Sunshine State. She says it's been difficult to battle Hollywood perceptions of race and age (she says both were at play when then lesser known Catherine Zeta-Jones beat her out for a role opposite Sean Connery in Entrapment) and at the same time, remain true to herself.

(Of course, not all of Bassett's film credits are nearly so high-minded: 1991's Critters 4, anyone?)

But Bassett says she's not willing to take just any role in order to keep working. "I'm not living on beans and water yet," she says. "I'll just have to wait for it to come to me. If it's supposed to be mine, it will be."

As for the Monster's Ball role, Bassett insists she's happy for Berry, and did get teary-eyed when Halle mentioned her in the Oscar speech.

"I can't and don't begrudge Halle her success," Bassett adds. "It wasn't the role for me, but I told her she'd win and I told her to go get what was hers. Of course I want one, too. I would love to have an Oscar. But it has to be for something I can sleep with at night."
That is why one has to be careful when quoting others' material. It seems to me that the E! Online writer really took the Newsweek piece (which was written by a Black reporter, BTW) out of context.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Can I just say I LOVE Angela Bassett! It is a shame how hard it is for older actresses to get work in Hollywood. No matter the age she is still extremely talented. I hope I look like her at 43! Hell who am I kidding, I'm trying to look like her now!!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I absolutely love ANGELA. Her spirit is beautiful. She is captivating in all she does.

I think that in order for Angela to get the roles that she is befitting of, more books need to come to life.

I definitely see her rocking a role if they were to bring SULA or Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison to the screen.

Also since she has already set it off for Terry twice, she should definitely have a role in MAMA and A DAY LATE, A Dollar Short.

Then Bebe Moore Campbell's books would also get my nod if Angela appears in any of them. I see her most in Brothers and Sisters or Your Blues Ain't Like Mine.

Bottom line, Angela cannot be in a "booty call" movie. Sista girl looked like Tina, Betty and Katherine Jackson in those respective roles. She is definitely the female Denzel.

In response to the article that AKAtude posted that made it appear that Angela was hating on Halle, I definitely see Angela's point. Just because both are Black women actresses does not mean they view the roles in the same way. I applaud Angela for not taking it off on the big screen. She is a symbol of African American Beauty and classy as all get out as well.

I respect Halle as well and hope that this article does not cause bitterness between the 2 women.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Quote:
Originally posted by lovele1978
Can I just say I LOVE Angela Bassett! It is a shame how hard it is for older actresses to get work in Hollywood. No matter the age she is still extremely talented. I hope I look like her at 43! Hell who am I kidding, I'm trying to look like her now!!!!
GIRL!! I'm strugglin' tryin to get those arms she had in What's Love!

Angela Bassett to me is one of the best actresses and gets very little exposure in Hollywood. She puts her heart and soul into every role she plays. I'm kind of glad that she didn't take the role in Monster's Ball because if she couldn't stand behind the role 100% and give it her all...the role would have been a waste. I haven't seen the movie yet but it seems there are mixed reviews on Halle's performance.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

As does everyone else on this board, I love Ms. Bassett too! Did anyone else hate Monster's Ball? Personally, I thought the movie was horrible Maybe it's the woman in me, but I just couldn't get past the fact that Halle's part was another of Hollywood's many successful attempts at making the female role appear weak-minded and ignorant . Am i the only one who sees this happening?
Old 06-27-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Spit that knowledge, CT4!

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
I absolutely love ANGELA. Her spirit is beautiful. She is captivating in all she does.

I think that in order for Angela to get the roles that she is befitting of, more books need to come to life.

Bottom line, Angela cannot be in a "booty call" movie. Sista girl looked like Tina, Betty and Katherine Jackson in those respective roles. She is definitely the female Denzel.

In response to the article that AKAtude posted that made it appear that Angela was hating on Halle, I definitely see Angela's point. Just because both are Black women actresses does not mean they view the roles in the same way. I applaud Angela for not taking it off on the big screen. She is a symbol of African American Beauty and classy as all get out as well.

I respect Halle as well and hope that this article does not cause bitterness between the 2 women.
I agree, that Angela Basset is such a classy woman--one that's too classy to play in the "booty call" and ghettofied movies. I have also not seen Monster's Ball, but now I definately will check it out. I resepct Angela for having integrity and doing what feels right to her. I think she and Halle are both good actresses, but from what I hear about Monster's Ball, it wasn't one of Halle's best performances (Hello! "Isiah" was the bomb!). I also think Angela should have won an Oscar for "What's Love Got to Do w/it", just as I though Denzel should have won one for "Devil in a Blue Dress" and "Malcolm X"...But y'all know how that goes ...

The problem is that, as you said, we need not only need more movies, and for Hollywood to change it's racist ways and utilize the variety of Black actors and actresses, instead of typecasting and pigeonholing them into the same types of roles (ie. amny of the same actors are in multiple movies together)...
Old 06-27-2002, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
speaking of degrading...

I just saw Trois for the first time.

Talk about demeaning to black women AND men. Wow.

That movie was just bad on SO MANY levels....
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton