GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,366
1 members and 1,365 guests
navane

Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Blacklisted

Yesterday my friend was at some high up university meeting where a girl from XYZ and a boy from ABC were talking about how I am apparently blacklisted from every sorority on campus by the university I attend due to the fact I was interested in starting my own chapter here...which I realized I didn't want to do. What exactly is blacklisting...how do I get off...and is there really such thing as a blacklist?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee3383 View Post
Yesterday my friend was at some high up university meeting where a girl from XYZ and a boy from ABC were talking about how I am apparently blacklisted from every sorority on campus by the university I attend due to the fact I was interested in starting my own chapter here...which I realized I didn't want to do. What exactly is blacklisting...how do I get off...and is there really such thing as a blacklist?
YOUR own chapter? No wonder...
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think the university would try to "blacklist" you. Maybe the sororities didn't like that you tried to do that and don't want you to join, but there's no way the university is behind it.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
YOUR own chapter? No wonder...
Like bringing another chapter here of ABC or DEF or XYZ. I apologize for that error.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Like bringing another chapter here of ABC or DEF or XYZ. I apologize for that error.

Terminology clarification: I think you are talking about "expansion" and there are threads on GC that address the expansion idea and process. In short: it's not easy and is far more complicated than many (most) people realize.

Blacklisting? Seems extreme and I don't see that the university would be participating in whatever it is that you're experiencing. However, if you were vocal about how all the existing sororities/fraternities s**k, I can understand why you might not be on anyone's "wish list" of PNMs.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The sororities on campus do not work in tandem with membership selection, except to the extent that recruitment for all of them happens at the same time. So you wouldn't be universally black-listed in any sort of official way, but if it is a small campus and you made a big enough broohaha over expansion when it wasn't part of the existing NPC plan, each group may have negative feelings for you.

If you go to a bigger school, I kind of doubt you could do anything that could make a big enough impact for 10 or 15 sororities to know and dislike you.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Why would the university have anything to do with it?

2. Why would a guy from a fraternity be at this meeting?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds to me like the meeting was for something else, like maybe student senate, and the others 2 were talking beforehand, or afterwards, if at all.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

1) Because since she already didn't understand enough of the process to use the correct terminology, she doesn't understand that the university itself has no say in any blacklisting.
2) Because it was a meeting about something else and she just came up in the conversation? At least that's how it sounded to me.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do I feel like I walked in on the middle of a conversation and missed the first part?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a junior and I transferred in the fall to a new school. I went through spring recruitment to see if Greek Life was for me and didn't get any invites back the first day after a terrible rumor about me went around.

Would it be smart to go through again the fall? I am staying a year behind so I'll still be a junior...but I also don't want to look desperate.
So first you failed to receive any invites back after the first day of recruitment and blamed a "horrible rumor." And it had nothing to do with your shitty GPA, junior status or sparkling personality. Now you're blaming the fact that you wanted to lead an expansion effort.

It's time to look inward. Sorority life isn't in the cards for you and it has nothing to do with horrible rumors, your desire for expansion, imagined "blacklisting" or any other external reasons.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
So first you failed to receive any invites back after the first day of recruitment and blamed a "horrible rumor." And it had nothing to do with your shitty GPA, junior status or sparkling personality. Now you're blaming the fact that you wanted to lead an expansion effort.

It's time to look inward. Sorority life isn't in the cards for you and it has nothing to do with horrible rumors, your desire for expansion, imagined "blacklisting" or any other external reasons.
Jesus, harsh much? Do you KNOW there is a shitty GPA involved? Whether or not I believe it, it is possible to be dropped due to rumors.

OP, it is doubtful to everyone here as you can see that there is any sort of actual list. If this bit of conversation was repeated to you correctly, it probably means that you have somehow pissed off sororities on campus and the people discussing the situation think you won't get a bid. I'm sure you can still go through recruitment if you'd like but since there is obviously some sort of issue be aware of that.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Jesus, harsh much? Do you KNOW there is a shitty GPA involved? Whether or not I believe it, it is possible to be dropped due to rumors.

OP, it is doubtful to everyone here as you can see that there is any sort of actual list. If this bit of conversation was repeated to you correctly, it probably means that you have somehow pissed off sororities on campus and the people discussing the situation think you won't get a bid. I'm sure you can still go through recruitment if you'd like but since there is obviously some sort of issue be aware of that.

Are you really that special that you can't figure out how to look at a person's other posts?

Quote:
I'm a bio major who's a junior with a 2.969 GPA(I transferred in last fall, so this is only after two semesters) and I have decided to go through informal recruitment. I go to a small school in the North where(in the fall) you can attend as many or as little events as you want for all four sororities or just one. I see how recommendations are important for big competitive schools but I am not sure for a small school. For the one I am looking at, on their school site they have a spot for New Member Recommendations, but I don't know anyone who was a sister of that sorority. Where could I go to ask for one? Could I go to that organization's page on GC and ask....I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thank you!
Quote:
I'm just nervous due to my low GPA. The minimum GPA is a 2.5, so I'm fine but I still feel that I'm low. I'll ask my friend in XYZ to introduce me to an alum.

THANKS
Twice this girl has come here to blame sororities for her inability to get a bid. First it was a "terrible rumor" and now she's "black listed." I am sick of people coming here and telling tales that perpetuate stereotypes like this. It's clear that this poster is that girl. Every campus has at least one of them. She needs to stop blaming others and coming to a public board to moan about it.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just nervous due to my low GPA. The minimum GPA is a 2.5, so I'm fine but I still feel that I'm low. I'll ask my friend in XYZ to introduce me to an alum.

THANKS
This is the poor gpa. I'm sorry, OP that you've been "blacklisted" but in my experience there isn't a "list" it just means for one reason or another, most sororities wouldn't give you a bid. I had a friend who was "blacklisted" because she de-pledged 3 sororities. I don't know what the circumstances are, but if you go through recruitment it's likely that a GPA under 3.0-3.5 depending on the school will give you a bid. Sorry if that's harsh, but GPA is usually a huge factor.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Are you really that special that you can't figure out how to look at a person's other posts?

Twice this girl has come here to blame sororities for her inability to get a bid. First it was a "terrible rumor" and now she's "black listed." I am sick of people coming here and telling tales that perpetuate stereotypes like this. It's clear that this poster is that girl. Every campus has at least one of them. She needs to stop blaming others and coming to a public board to moan about it.
I am very special. My mommy tells me that every day. She also reminds me not to be rude.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx