GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,145
0 members and 1,145 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing

During rush at K-State we have t-shirts to wear the first day, but I was wondering if the sisters would look down upon you if you wore a pleated jeans skirt with the shirt. Also, does anyone know of any stores online that I could shop for the last day dress or have any pointers on what type of dress and accessories I should choose. And what about the rest of the week? HELP!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:07 AM

Pleated skirts in general are yucky IMO - it's better not to go too trendy at rush because some people will love it, others will hate it. I assume you're talking about the mini kind? (Which brings up another issue - they look a little too "dance club" like for rush.)

Just stick to a plain jeans skirt or khaki skirt.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

You have to decide for yourself, depending on the exact skirt and your school. If it is short (like most of those skirts are), that's a definite no. If the girls in the sororities are very trendy, an appropriate length pleated skirt might make you stand out from the crowd, which would be good. But you don't want to stand out from the crowd in a BAD way by looking trashy.

I tend to agree with 33girl. Better to be safe than sorry- I'd go for a plain jean skirt.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm, little Johnson County girl heading off to the MHK.

Wildcatt, where did you go to HS? I graduated from Olathe East back in 2001.

Anyways, follow the advice of these ladies here. Go simple and classy and you can't go wrong. Also you need to remember that you are going to Manhatten which is a lot more conservative in style than JOCO, and there are a lot of farm girls out there who are in the sororities and they are even more conservative about that type of stuff. Also a lot of houses will have alumni members around with varying degrees of power, and since they are most likely alumni from the surrounding areas, they are going to be even more conservative. Best not to do anything to offend anyone.

There will be plenty of time to show off your amazing sense of style, so save the pleated mini until then.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Wildcatt, best wishes, and, as Betarulz! says, take the advice of the women here on GC. One thing Betarulz! mentioned was alumnae members "around with varying degrees of power, . . . most likely . . . from the surrounding areas." Just to reinforce that, plus what you've probably already heard -- and read in the "Sorority Way" booklet or (Adobe Acrobat) web page -- recommendations can be highly useful:

"Kansas State University’s Panhellenic Council does not
require that a potential new member going through formal
recruitment obtain recommendation letters from alumnae
introducing the young woman to perspective chapters.
Sorority chapters at K-State are fully aware of this policy,
however many national headquarters require chapters to
have a recommendation before a potential member can
be extended an invitation for membership.
Because the
responsibility for providing letters of recommendation for
prospective members rests with the members of NPC
groups, sorority alumnae may contact potential new members
for information to write recommendation letters. Any
potential new member who is able to obtain letters of recommendation from sorority alumnae is encouraged to do
so.
Sorority chapters do have alternatives to letters of recommendation if needed, so that all potential new members are
considered equally for membership." (emphasis added)

In other words, if you can get recommendations to K-State sororities, by all means do so.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I know there was a second half to your question. What to wear on pref night: I would stick to something simple and classy but maybe wear colorful accessories. (Nothing too extreme of course.) We had a "pref night" like event during our COB week and we asked everyone to dress in "business casual" attire. So no prom dresses and no crazy clubbing 'fits.

I have a memory of formal recruitment at my school from when I was a freshman. I didn't go thru formal recruitment but I remember walking by the dorms where all the potential new members were out in the courtyard. It was a sea of little black dresses. Seriously.

That might give you an idea of what others are wearing. Always err to the conservative side.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm gonna say something different than the others have been saying...I love pleated minis...In fact my sorority is wearing denim ones on the first round of recruitment...So I say if it's your style and it's what you like wearing then wear it. We're supposed to be ourselves, right? I mean I wear them all the time and know a lot of people who do, I don't think they are "too club" in the least.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as dress goes, greek life at most schools will send out a pamphlet to all registered Potential New Members. Use it as your bible. It will contain suggested dress as well as info re: the organizations at your school, recruitment events, and times. Follow the suggested dress, but always err on the dressier side. Actually just dress up one step from what they suggest. For example - they say shorts and sneakers, wear khaki pants or skirt and nice shoes. I can't speak for KSU but most schools advise cocktail attire for Preference parties. Most women wear black, but you want to make sure that there is something about you that stands out (jewelry, different color dress, accent color...). Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I'm a recruitment advisor and my group doesn't have a chapter at K-State (a crime, if you ask me) ... but, I am very familiar with the campus since I grew up in the state and had several highschool friends go there.

Let me just say that I personally prefer potential members to interpret the guidelines given to them by Panhellenic and come as they truly are. Don't get caught up in the game of trying to get a "look" that you think will appeal, especially if that "look" just isn't you. So, look at their guidelines and wear what you feel comfortable in that you feel meets their guidelines. Really and truly ... you want to find the chapter where you fit best and where they fit you best. So be yourself and have a great time. I know K-State rush is huge and a little overwhelming ... so go out there and shine ... show 'em who you are and find out who's best for you!!!

Old 06-15-2004, 05:11 PM

ok I wasn't going to go here but...pleated minis usually don't look good on anyone who's not quite thin. (From a pic I have seen of AXJules she qualifies) I figured it was better to turn thumbs down on them altogether than be accused of making a rushee paranoid about her weight.

Although I think I may still be suffering aftershock from the 2 chickie-babes I saw at the bar in pleated minis and 3 inch heels....yikes.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I echo the disdain for pleated denim skirts they're just not flattering

DO NOT WEAR A MINI. You may be sitting on a chair and the sorority members may be sitting on the floor. You don't want to give them a show. I don't care how much you can sit like a lady, there's no real way to sit for more than a few minutes in a mini without giving a show to the people on the floor

BTW_ this should be moved to the Rush forum
Old 06-15-2004, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My opinion doesn't really count (being a man and all), but I would say a safe rule of thumb is try not to dress like Paris Hilton going through recruitment.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
My opinion doesn't really count (being a man and all), but I would say a safe rule of thumb is try not to dress like Paris Hilton going through re
cruitment.
Unless, of course, you ARE Paris Hilton. And in keeping with the "Best Thread Ever" .. don't dress so that people will be intimidated by your hottness. har har har ... am I the only one laughing?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Silo Tech is not in the Dark Ages!

They are not Snob U. UK, just dress nicely as you would do at Home unlees you live on a Farm or a Ranch! No BIBs and boots!

Just a nice shirt and blouse with a pleated skirt unless called for differently, really dont think that will be a big deal!

We in Kansas are a little more laid back, but not deniam in pleats?

Paris What She Say!

Kansan Corn Fed Girls, Tannned By The Sun not the tanning Bed!

Check PittsBurg St U!

We Love Kansas Girls There!

Be a person, not a number!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-16-2004, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
ok I wasn't going to go here but...pleated minis usually don't look good on anyone who's not quite thin. (From a pic I have seen of AXJules she qualifies)
Ok I'm sure I'm just really dense and tired but-
what does this mean? I shouldn't be wearing them? Or its ok if I do? And where did you see a pic of me in a pleated mini? lol I don't think I've ever taken any...