GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 942
4 members and 938 guests
flirt5721, MTSUGURL, SweetHomeStL

Old 07-13-2002, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Black Couple Gives Birth to Sextuplets

Black Alabama Couple Makes History With First Sextuplets in the State
By Stephanie A. Crockett, BET.com Staff Writer

Posted July 11, 2002 (Birmingham, Ala.) -- Diamond and Christopher Harris became the first parents to have sextuplets born in the state when they gave birth to two girls and four boys July 7 in Birmingham, Ala.

The babies were born three months premature and they are all under 2 pounds, but they seem to be doing well, according to doctors at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. They remain in serious condition at the hospital and under close watch.

"It is still too early to tell how the babies will progress, but all six are off ventilator support and extubated," according to a statement from Dr. Namasivayam Ambalavanan, attending neonatologist at the hospital.

"For now, our treatment goals include supportive care and making sure they are getting the proper IV nutrition."

The doctors say Diamond Harris is healing well and in good condition. Harris, 27, is a LPN at a nursing home and at Caraway Hospital. Christopher Harris is a 3rd grade teacher for Barry Elementary School.

A fund has been set up to help the Harrises, who also have a 7-year-old son, Dewayne.

The UAB has already donated $6,000 to the fund.

To donate, send money to: The Christopher Harris Family Fund, P.O. Box 94614, Birmingham, Ala. 35220. Donations can also be made at any South Trust Bank.

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c1gb3293-3961,00.html
Old 07-13-2002, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to them... I guess?! Now that is a car seat connundrum!
While birth is always a beautiful, miraculous thing, this age of extra potent fertility drugs makes one want to tell the docs to tone down the prescriptions. Multiple births aren't rare anymore.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TLAW
Congratulations to them... I guess?! Now that is a car seat connundrum!
While birth is always a beautiful, miraculous thing, this age of extra potent fertility drugs makes one want to tell the docs to tone down the prescriptions. Multiple births aren't rare anymore.
I agree. Man I know if I were to have more than twins at this point in my life, I would get a vanity plate or bumper sticker that said, "STANDING IN THE NEED OF PRAYER!!" --- I mean REALLY, can you imagine. Ol boy has 9 mouths to feed. I know God will supply all needs but WHOOOOOOOO man, I would not let my man touch me no more.

Did the article say they used fertility? I only skimmed it. I am not taking fertility nothing. What I am meant to have will be born or adopted or just go childless.

CONGRATS TO THE COUPLE and God's continuous blessings on you and your children as well as your family as you all will draw from each other.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I hear you.
I didn't read anything about fertility, but nowadays, it is the "in" thing. It is not as expensive as it used to be, so more people have access to it. I would bet good money that that is what happened, especially since the babies seem to be fraternal. I guess they wanted more kids bad.
Man... One day you have 1 kid, 9 months later, you got 7. That makes me scurred. Lord have mercy. I hope they realize that they won't get as much donations as the "lighter-hued" couple did a couple of years ago. I won't get into that.
Now, if they could guarantee a fertility drug that could pop out just one good egg, that would be better than a whole herd of ova...
Old 07-13-2002, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs up Good job w/the names

These parents also did an acceptable job of naming the babies: Kiera, Kalynn, Kaleb, Kobe (although trendy, it's OK), Kieran and Kyle.

They will need donations. I can't imagine, even in Alabama, which I think should have relatively low housing prices, that an LPN and a teacher are rolling in money.

Also, I hope that lessons were learned from the Thompson situation in D.C. -- those babies were under the radar for a long time while the Iowa septuplets got all the attention. Although the Iowa crew was delivered by two AfAm doctors.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Never knew

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
those babies were under the radar for a long time while the Iowa septuplets got all the attention. Although the Iowa crew was delivered by two AfAm doctors.

I never knew that. That is today's little known Black History fact.

I knew you would like the names.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Im_just_me Send a message via Yahoo to Im_just_me
The sad thing about the whole situtation is that the media really isn't giving it any attention. Had they been a white couple, they'd be all on Oprah and Maury getting gifts. Its a shame that no one wants to help them the way that they need it.

(BTW, I'm from Birmingham, AL.)
Old 07-14-2002, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Im_just_me
Had they been a white couple, they'd be all on Oprah
Now isn't that just SAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

If anyone stands in the position to aid them, OPRAH would be the one to get the ball rolling.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
Sorry to invade your forum but I am from Birmingham as well, and as Im_just_me can attest the cost of living is not exactly cheap.
And it is sad that there hasn't been any media attention. I heard about it on a small blurb on the radio on my way into work the day after the sextuplets were born. We do, however, have a strong medical community in town so hopefully people will band together to help out this family. Children's Hospital of B'ham has several great family assistance programs as well....