GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,226
1 members and 1,225 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-31-2000, 01:16 AM
SunnySkies

Question New Dues???

I am so confused! Here's the deal, and I need some advice. My sorority is seriously lacking in numbers. I pledged last semester. I was told that I did not have to live in the house, because I have a lease from prior to pledging. I was told it was OK, there would be no problem with that. I was also told dues stay relatively the same every year, there would be no hidden costs, etc. And again, no problem, I can live wherever I want.
The day after initiation, the president told the girls who had just been intitated(me too)that if we didn;t live in the house, we were going to have to pay some extra dues, because our numbers are so low. So, we think, like, 50-100 bucks, no big problem. Well, my dues TRIPLED!!!!
Our school only has about 6% Greek, so it's hard to keep our numbers up, but we're low, even for my school. It's so bad, national is threatening to close us down. Needless to say, making mortgage payments on the house is not going to be easy. But I feel like I was lied to, because they need anyone they can get, just so they can stay open. I don't feel at all sisterly, and I'm pretty pissed off.
I already paid the dues, and that really isn't my issue. Is this common practice? I am a new member, maybe I just don't know the ropes yet, but it still doesn't feel right. I joined a sorority to make some new friends and hang out with some cool trustworthy people. I feel like I got the shaft, and was really lied to. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Old 08-31-2000, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

wow, what a hard place to be. If you think about how frustrating this is as a new member, imagine what it must be like for the officers, who might feel like they are about to see four years slip down the drain with their collegiate chapter. If they were intentionally deceiving, it was surely with good intentions...

That doesn't mean that what is happening in your chapter is "right" or "normal". It just means that the sorority is in a tough place at the moment and is searching for ways to pull out of it - the active sisters of the chapter are just the path of least resistance right now. I am assuming you are a member of a national - otherwise the following suggestions might not be relevant.

I would say that the best way to handle your irritation with the sorority would be to get involved by making suggestions and supporting productive and PRO-ACTIVE strategies to get numbers up... those might include:
- strong and innovative COB efforts
- bringing regional or local alumnae groups in to help - maybe through fund-raising or a dues booster
- suggest a policy change allowing fifth-year seniors to be active (additional source of $$)
- call nationals and ask for a traveling consultant! I know for sure that most of the NPC chapters have a national officer, usually a new graduate, that travels to all the different campuses and advises one-on-one on serious chapter issues and how to strengthen the weak spots.
- make living in the house more attractive - more incentives, etc.

These are just the random thoughts I had at 12:30 am... but hopefully they might get the wheels turning! remember that it is always in the hardest times that you will need to rely on each other the most... sisterhood is at its strongest when we are called upon to really love and support one another.