GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,472
2 members and 1,470 guests
LaneSig, lauren_ash0

Old 09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Horse Riding

Apparently at riding stables, when a group comes in, they give everyone in the group one of those five minute or so on-horse walkarounds to see who is experienced/novice/intermediate level so they know which horses to then place people on for a full session. I wondered, how many private lessons from absolute beginner level would someone probably need before they could look (while on that five minute thing) vaguely competent and not look as if they had never been on a horse before? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Imthachamp
gone in 60 seconds
Old 09-29-2003, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never been to a public stable, but I have been riding all my life. I would say that there are too many factors in riding to narrow competency down to a specific number of lessons. However, it really shouldn't take too many times on a horse to start to feel comfortable. I guess balance is an important part of your question. Wear shoes with heels and keep the balls of your feet in the stirrup. Keep your heels down and toes up. This will help your balance. Also, use the saddle horn to help you balance until you get used to the ride. After a few times out, you'll learn the feel of the horse and how to use your legs. I took one of my friends who had never been on a horse riding last summer and by the end of the weekend, she looked like a natural. I think you’ll be looking “vaguely competent” in no time.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been riding and showing for almost 15 years (well on a break now since I'm pregnant) and itt took me a couple of years to develop a good seat - - - only a few lessons before I felt comfortable on a horse.

Everyone is different and every horse is different. You have to match a horse's "personality" just as much as you have to match experience.

Are you considering taking lessons?
Old 10-15-2003, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, I had my first lesson today and I'm sore. Do people with girl rather than boy bits (that'd be girls) find riding generally more comfortable? Chafe, chafe ow.

They kept us on the horses for an hour not five mins in the end and got us to do all sorts of stuff - not like I could do them though. I kept getting confused, one minute it's heel up then when I'm doing something else it's heel down. Talk of inside rein, A-C etc. Ooh and they kept (when we cantered, say) telling me to rise off the horse so I was almost semi-standing in the stirrups. Made me wonder why I had a saddle . Hold reins low high, sit back, forward. I lost track. Is that what they call posting?

It was a good but sore experience overall though, just so much I don't know how to do.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
You're riding with an English saddle, I take it? Well, there's your trouble.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
You're riding with an English saddle, I take it? Well, there's your trouble.
I agree, ride western...
Old 10-16-2003, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll ask if they have any next week. I couldn't turn up with one myself though; it might look silly if I wasn't a competent rider but arrived with my own saddle . How do western saddles differ?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

AchtungBaby80 was talking about more than just equipment (I think). The whole riding style in English is different. Almost everything is different. I'm not the one to talk to you about English since all we ever rode was Western.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

English differs from Western in that there is no horn on the saddle (the hooky knob thing in the crotch area). If you ride for long, especially English, look into getting a custom saddle done. They measure your horse, and more importantly your rear! your crotch will thank you too Also, are you posting your trots? if you sit when the horse is trotting that can rub you the wrong way too. just remember - Heels down and your posture will fall the way it should
Old 10-16-2003, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

When I took lessons, I rode English....do they even give Westen lessons? I've ridden both and from what I know, Western's pretty free-style, and really has more to do with how the horse was trained then how competant the rider was....
Old 10-16-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
When I took lessons, I rode English....do they even give Westen lessons? I've ridden both and from what I know, Western's pretty free-style, and really has more to do with how the horse was trained then how competant the rider was....
Yes, they give Western lessons. That's pretty much all there is around here. You ride differently on a Western saddle. In my opinion, the saddle itself is more comfortable...and it's easier to stay on if you're just starting out. If you're just trail-riding, I guess it could be pretty "free-style," but in the show ring it's a whole different ballgame...you have to hold your feet/legs a certain way, and depending on the class, you either ride with the reins in both hands or just one. Doesn't matter if you're just riding for pleasure, though...
Old 10-16-2003, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to take English lessons, but never went too far with it. I'd say it would take anywhere between 3-5 lessons to get the basic gist of riding. If I recall correctly, posting is the most important thing to learn, along with basic commands for the horse.

Decadence - if you're going to be riding on a trail or something I wouldn't bother with lessons. They'll probably be looking at how comfortable you feel on the horse and commanding it, not what kind of skills you have.