GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,247
5 members and 1,242 guests
IllyPolly, JayhawkAOII, Low D Flat, Xidelt

Old 04-24-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Non-members @ your Convention/Boule/Conclave?

I was looking through an old issue of The Triangle and noticed that on our 2004 National Convention registration form, there's a check-box for non-members as well as collegians and alumnae.

I asked one of our advisors about it and she said that non-members are welcome but purchase special passes that only allow them access to certain events (Panhellenic guest speakers, workshops not involving ritual).

I am curious as to whether non-members are allowed at YOUR conventions as well and what events they are allowed to attend.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Yes non-members may attend certain "events" within our convention. Like yours, these would be speaker events, etc. It would not include anything ritual related (initiation, officer installation, etc).

Generally these are spouses or children who attend banquets along with the convention attendee .

I drag my family along to conventions, but they spend their time sightseeing and playing at the hotel while I am in meetings .
Old 04-24-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

At Alpha Gamma Delta Conventions, I think that the only non-members that show up are speakers and Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation officials. (Our Foundation President is a delightful man ).
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Non-members are allowed to come to some of our events as well.

They aren't allowed at the business sessions or ritual but the rest is open. We have representatives of other NPC's at our NPC luncheon, various speakers and significant others at some of the dinners. We have a gentleman who brings his wife to our confirmed conventioneers banquet (she's in a wheelchair) every time. And that's been a LOT of conventions.

In Chicago last summer, Laurel Clark's husband and son came to the Foundation luncheon (we were starting an endowment in her name) and he gave us her badge. (for those who aren't aware, she died in the Columbia...)
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, at the Sigma Gamma Rho bi-annual Boule, there are public events that non-members are invited to and Sigma business events the they are not allowed to attend. Similar to your org, the non-members can register also.

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Yes non-members may attend certain "events" within our convention. Like yours, these would be speaker events, etc. It would not include anything ritual related (initiation, officer installation, etc).
Old 04-25-2005, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Non-members are welcomed at pretty much everything that goes on at conventions except ritual. The only guests we really ever have is vendors, spouses of the staff/board of directors and occasional guest speakers. Oh, also the Duke Flad Award winner (most outstanding undergrad) usually has his family in attendance at the awards luncheon.

I guess it'd be pretty boring if you werent a brother.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting note: According to our past chapter president, the National President of Theta Phi Alpha spoke at the Panhellenic luncheon of our Convention last year.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
At Alpha Gamma Delta Conventions, I think that the only non-members that show up are speakers and Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation officials. (Our Foundation President is a delightful man ).
We had a man at our Atlanta convention in 2001 who had given a large Foundation donation as a memorial to his wife when she passed. He was a speaker of sorts as he was honored and gave a testimonial. In Chicago, one day, we had some women from other Panhellenic groups as guests too. I believe there was also a husband of one of the women who needed assistance ambulating to and from sessions, but I don't recall him actually coming to any sessions.

Dee
Old 04-25-2005, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

i've been to sorority boules......

that quite possibly might be the single most abundant place to find college educated, professional, FINE women.

*think of nashville last summer*

Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
Non-members are welcomed at pretty much everything that goes on at conventions except ritual. The only guests we really ever have is vendors, spouses of the staff/board of directors and occasional guest speakers. Oh, also the Duke Flad Award winner (most outstanding undergrad) usually has his family in attendance at the awards luncheon.

I guess it'd be pretty boring if you werent a brother.
Basically, it's the same for us.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I have gone to a couple of Pi Kappa Phi Conventions. Spouses and kids have thier own set of programs while the Pi Kapps are conducting business. We do get to join them for certain meals and excursions.

In June, I will be bringing Mr. aopirose to our Convention. He is looking forward to a week of golfing with some of his Atlanta fraternity brothers.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
Interesting note: According to our past chapter president, the National President of Theta Phi Alpha spoke at the Panhellenic luncheon of our Convention last year.
Just a note, NPHC org presidents speak at each others national conventions on a regular basis.
Makes for good relations
Old 04-25-2005, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We have programming for our adult and youth auxilary groups at our Boule.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

What type of event is your Panhellenic luncheon? Do you invite the local Panhell?? I'm curious. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
What type of event is your Panhellenic luncheon? Do you invite the local Panhell?? I'm curious. Thanks!
When we host our convention Panhellenic luncheon, we invite the other NPC groups to send a representative. It is at each group's discretion as to whom they will send. Sometimes we have local ladies and other times it is the official NPC delegate or other inter/national officer. They sit at a head table and are introduced to the crowd. We also had wide screens that projected images of each group throughout the meal.