GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,584
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,470
3 members and 1,467 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 11-30-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
CMU is a very diverse campus ethnically and ideologically as well. I think that Theta Nu Xi or another MC org would be well recieved there, actually.
That was my line of thinking as well. Though all the groups there are pretty much multicultural, because the campus is so diverse itself.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
I think if we, NPC, wanted to make new strides toward regional chapter diversity it would have to look at new rules for extention and HQs would have to play a much larger role in that process. For example, AST (cause I don't want to pick on anyone else) would have to say, we do have 23 chapter is PA, the next time a campus open up, we will promise to forgo those opportunities for the chance to have a preferential presentiation in CA. I just, sadly, think that might be way to much to ask. Of course you then have to have alumnae support to make it work, or all hell will break loose.
Now that is an interesting take on this. International Presidents making deals for colonies. It is almost like baseball trades - we trade a current opportunity for a player (colony) to be named later. It probably could work, but it also could lead to political alliances between groups and under-the-table dealings. It is something I had never thought of though.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
No, still thinking, Who is Supposed to Help? That was My Question. (?)

At What Level as it were. National or Local Greeks?
It's both. The NPC Alumnae Panhellenic Associations should be teaching the Collegiate Panhellenic Associations that numbers can go up AND down. Locals should try to ally themselves with the general rules of the different Panhellenic Associations, to better understand how to use the system to either become an NPC colony, or to further their own GLO.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
No, still thinking, Who is Supposed to Help? That was My Question. (?)

At What Level as it were. National or Local Greeks?
I would say at a National level. I think women in college are learning to run a chapter, not the national organization. I kinda feel that decisions of this magnitiude should be in the hands of people with experience. (Well that is if we are still discussing assistance, if it is expansion we are discussing, I think a hybird of the current model would be more effective)
Old 12-01-2005, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irishpipes
Now that is an interesting take on this. International Presidents making deals for colonies. It is almost like baseball trades - we trade a current opportunity for a player (colony) to be named later. It probably could work, but it also could lead to political alliances between groups and under-the-table dealings. It is something I had never thought of though.
There are already alliances between groups...political and otherwise...and I think that may be part of the problem. The so called smaller groups need to come together to discuss what their needs are mutually, and learn from one another--and as far as I know, that does happen from time to time.

I do not get the impression that NPC really is interested in helping member groups grow or maintain membership outside of the agreements regarding campus recruitment. It really is up to each national to take control and make their own plans.

I see the original question as helping smaller GLOs become more known. The reality is--most people who aren't involved in Greek life aren't going to know names of groups or where they are located (except for Tri-Delta, thanks to the SNL skits.) I can go to one town where my org is active and lots of people may know mine, but never heard of XYZ or ABC. Unless SNL makes fun of all of us, we'll probably not ever be as well as known as others.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
There are already alliances between groups...political and otherwise...and I think that may be part of the problem.
Hmmm...that's interesting. I didn't know that. What kind of alliances are we talking about here? Like, "If you don't colonize at this school, we'll let you have this school?" or something else?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Hmmm...that's interesting. I didn't know that. What kind of alliances are we talking about here? Like, "If you don't colonize at this school, we'll let you have this school?" or something else?
I didn't know anything about alliances either. I assume you are referring to "unoffical" agreements, right? Actually, I don't know what you are referring to at all, do you mind elaborating? Are you meaning agreements to keep rival members down or what?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
I do not get the impression that NPC really is interested in helping member groups grow or maintain membership outside of the agreements regarding campus recruitment. It really is up to each national to take control and make their own plans.
While I agree that it is up to each national to take control and make their own plans, I disagree with you on the idea that NPC doesn't want to help groups grow or maintain membership. What you have to remember is that NPC is interested in helping the system grow, which means seeing all member groups grow and maintain members. That is why the new release figures were developed, the recruitment structure was changed, and quota/total was changed. These changes have helped all member groups grow and maintain membership. On campuses where the RFM was implemented several years ago we are seeing a much more level playing field evolve.

It is my understanding that this biennium they are looking at membership retention.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaRose
Do you know which 2 locals?
I heard Alpha Delta Chi and Xi Gamma Zeta
Old 06-13-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I did wonder what made some sororities have larger member and chapter numbers than others. I do see it has to do with age, as well as affiliations.

In my city, there are two universities. A large NPC sorority has chapters in both. I have no idea what the numbers for the sororities at each school are- I only went to one of them, and as a graduate student taking evening classes.

Now I wonder what factors- other than religious affiliation- would make a specific sorority become more popular in one campus than another sorority would. Using UF as an example, it is understandable that sororities founded in the South would be large. But one of the largest groups there was founded in a school in New England.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say, generally, that the largest groups have the best reputation on that campus. In other words, a reputation for being "the best", whether based on fact or not. They also tend to have more outgoing and friendly women who are very comfortable talking with PNMs and making the PNMs feel special and wanted. They know how to put their best foot forward, are confident with their recruitment skills and it simply shines through. They have a strong relationship with their sisters and it shows. They are women that make you think "Wow, I feel so comfortable with them and I want to be like them". Who you feel comfortable with varies a lot, so in a larger chapter, you are more likely to find some women that you "click" with, because there will be more variety in interests, personalities, etc.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
I did wonder what made some sororities have larger member and chapter numbers than others. I do see it has to do with age, as well as affiliations.

In my city, there are two universities. A large NPC sorority has chapters in both. I have no idea what the numbers for the sororities at each school are- I only went to one of them, and as a graduate student taking evening classes.

Now I wonder what factors- other than religious affiliation- would make a specific sorority become more popular in one campus than another sorority would. Using UF as an example, it is understandable that sororities founded in the South would be large. But one of the largest groups there was founded in a school in New England.
We're talking about which sororities have the most/least chapters, not chapter totals on individual campi. Some of the smallest sororities as far as number of chapters they have overall, are the largest group at this or that campus.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRose
Any news on these campuses?
I can't recall Clayton State but Tri Sigma accepted the invitation to colonize at University of Wisconsin, Parkside.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose
Tri Sigma accepted the invitation to colonize at University of Wisconsin, Parkside.
It's always good to see a new colony. This will be our 6th chapter in that state. We will be the only NPC on campus (there are only NPHC's and Latina groups listed on their website).

Lakers Nation.