GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,336
6 members and 1,330 guests
BillWitt27, IllyPolly, John, Sarak24034

Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Woo! Seattle finally made a showing in Merry's list (but let's be honest, our sports are subpar).

I wish we could merge the lists for Emma, Cassie, and Suzie so we knew whether there was overlap or they all had completely different favorites. Oh well- we shall see when the results come out!
I agree! Maybe all three will give us the real names of (at the least) their pref houses. That would be better than nothing!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have also been wishing that we knew the real names. It would be cool if Emma, Cassie, and Suzie have met or even ended up in the same house.

I had thoughts that we could perhaps private message each other at least at the pref round to see if there is overlap, but I don't want to do anything to reveal who the girls are.

Cassie thought today was fine, but she is still losing her voice and her favorites are still the three from yesterday, Chocolate, Cake Batter, and Cookies and Cream. The others in her top 7 are Pralines and Pecan, Vanilla, Peach, and butter pecan. Of the 5 others she cut, there is one-maybe two- where she thinks she might be happy. The other 3 she isn't wild about.

She is trying not to get her hopes up, because she knows the coming cuts will be rough, but I can tell by her voice that she will be very disappointed if Chocolate and Cake Batter cut her. She is also worried because for the most part, her top 7 are probably the more competitive sororities.

Send up a prayer for all the PNM's and lets hope Cassie, Emma, and Suzie all
get good news tomorrow morning.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
I have also been wishing that we knew the real names. It would be cool if Emma, Cassie, and Suzie have met or even ended up in the same house.

I had thoughts that we could perhaps private message each other at least at the pref round to see if there is overlap, but I don't want to do anything to reveal who the girls are.

Cassie thought today was fine, but she is still losing her voice and her favorites are still the three from yesterday, Chocolate, Cake Batter, and Cookies and Cream. The others in her top 7 are Pralines and Pecan, Vanilla, Peach, and butter pecan. Of the 5 others she cut, there is one-maybe two- where she thinks she might be happy. The other 3 she isn't wild about.

She is trying not to get her hopes up, because she knows the coming cuts will be rough, but I can tell by her voice that she will be very disappointed if Chocolate and Cake Batter cut her. She is also worried because for the most part, her top 7 are probably the more competitive sororities.

AUmom2010- I just sent you a private message

GPhiB
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
AuDad - would be interested to hear the insight you mentioned above about having a rec or not....
Basically her perception was that for those groups for which she had obtained a rec letter, she was matched with a hostess who "miraculously" had something in common with her - maybe it was her sport, maybe it was the same state, etc. But with the groups which she had not obtained a rec letter for, she seemed to be paired with a hostess who had been picked at random....and as a result there was no common interest. Needless to say those parties didn't go as well. So the rec letters cut both ways - 1) the sororites won't know about you, and you're more likely to get lost in the shuffle and cut; and 2) since they're not as prepared for you, you might not feel a connection and won't like them quite as much and are more likely to cut them.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

One more thought on rec letters for Auburn.

I don't know what percentage of PNM's at Auburn obtain rec letters. I was told by the mom of the only AU active we know that the number was around 90%. That sounds kinda high to me. But even if it's only 70%, or even lower, there is going to be a huge competitive disadvantage to not having rec letters at AU.

We started working on ours around May and if I could do it over again I would've started earlier. They take longer to get than you think. Plus, once you find an alumna who will agree to write one, she may go on vacation for a month (this actually happened) or there could be something else that may come up to delay the letter going out (one of our rec letter writers had moved to another state and we sent it to an old address).

One of the reasons that I decided to do this thread was sort of as a thank you to all the GCer's who put all of this useful and important info about sorority recruitment on this site. For someone like me, an old fraternity guy, I really didn't have much of clue about sorority recruitment other than that I knew it was pretty big deal to the girls. Most of what I now know has come from GC.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn Dad- I agree having recs is helpful for both sides, the more you know about a young woman the better questions you can ask and therefore you end up having a better connection.

Emma is lucky to have a Dad that cares so much, and thank you for letting us participate in her adventure!

M

GPhiB
Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post
Emma is lucky to have a Dad that cares so much, and thank you for letting us participate in her adventure!

M
Totally agreed!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

From this point on, will rec letters matter much, other that the fact that you have one on file? Will GPA still matter? Cassie said she heard some folks saying that maybe this round your resume would be what they would focus on.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
Cassie thought today was fine, but she is still losing her voice and her favorites are still the three from yesterday, Chocolate, Cake Batter, and Cookies and Cream.

Had a final chat with Emma tonight. She is losing her voice as well and has a sore throat. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated for these girls.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=aumom2010;1966983]From this point on, will rec letters matter much, other that the fact that you have one on file? Will GPA still matter? Cassie said she heard some folks saying that maybe this round your resume would be what they would focus on.

from this point on- GPA and resume doesnt really matter that much- looking for personality and if rushee fits in with the group!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the grades and resume, I think (can't say I KNOW for sure since houses and campuses vary) that those are really elements used for cuts right at the beginning. If your grades aren't there, you don't pass go. Period. I suppose the resume could be used when they have to eliminate a few more girls and can't decide, but mostly by now it's conversation skills that mean the most.

I wish these girls and all the others a good outcome with recruitment. It's such a lousy way to make friends but what you end up with is so great, you just have to do the best you can.

And I vote for sharing, afterward, what all the houses were. The parents on this board have been exemplary for not speaking ill of any groups, so even mentioning the ones that were "cut" early shouldn't be seen as offensive or hurtful by anyone. I think it would be very interesting to see if 3 different gals who don't know each other saw the houses in a similar light and could be helpful for future gals to see that there is not a single BEST house. Unless of course these 3 actually did see the houses the same way. And that would also be interesting!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

moms and dads-suggest that your daughters drink hot tea with lemon or lime and honey after the parties. it will do them good.

I will pray for world peace, food, shelter and clean water for everyone in the world, relief for all who are suffering in any way, for good luck for the auburn pnms and all the other pnms at other schools AND for regina.george to just go away.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ What she said! Prayer for those who may be hurting is always appropriate!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I afraid that I have not so great news this morning.

Cassie was cut by all of her top 7 choices.

She has 3 invites for skit day.

(1)Strawberry--Which she likes the girls, but has heard that they are a party group, and that worries her.

(2)Chunky Monkey--Which is actually supposedly one of the better groups, but she has not felt at home there all week.

(3) Cookie Dough--Which she says she will definitely not pledge.

She was obviously upset this morning, and feels like everyone else will have a full schedule, which I tried to assure her was not true.

I tried to urge her to go through the day with a positive attitude and try to see how she might fit in with either of the first two groups. I think we are both worried that she might not get any invites for the preference round, but i guess we will worry about that tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
moms and dads-suggest that your daughters drink hot tea with lemon or lime and honey after the parties. it will do them good.

I will pray for world peace, food, shelter and clean water for everyone in the world, relief for all who are suffering in any way, for good luck for the auburn pnms and all the other pnms at other schools AND for regina.george to just go away.

Well said! Cassie, Emma & Suzie will be in my prayers!

aumom, I'm sorry that Cassie's feeling down about her invites. When I rushed and was cut from my top choice, I was given the words, "go where you're wanted, why would you want someone who doesn't want you?" and that really made all the difference in the world. I knew that the girls who would become my sisters had invited me because they wanted me to be there. It was a warm fuzzy for me during a tough emotional time.

Last edited by TexasSK; 08-12-2010 at 09:00 AM.