Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 731
2 members and 729 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-04-2004, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Jill. I'm really looking forward to the start of school. Keeping busy in the mean time...

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

This time last year I was in the summer doldrums, so I know how you feel. Just hang on - it will go by faster than you think.

Congratulations on beginning your PhD! Don't take the 11-year route like I did!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Update!

Hi! I haven't been around much, but I just wanted to say that although nothing has really happened with my AI journey, I did get some words of encouragement from my "Little Women" connection. I'm certainly not giving up, but it is a little frustrating to watch the 1 year mark (since starting AI) quickly approach.

Keeping all the AI hopefuls in my mind! Best of luck...

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 07-14-2004, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

L M, keep a stiff upper lip! Look at how long it took Kelly (AKA) navan to get into a Family!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-16-2004, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisaMay
Hi! I haven't been around much, but I just wanted to say that although nothing has really happened with my AI journey, I did get some words of encouragement from my "Little Women" connection. I'm certainly not giving up, but it is a little frustrating to watch the 1 year mark (since starting AI) quickly approach.

Keeping all the AI hopefuls in my mind! Best of luck...

LM
Louisa May-

Sweetie, don't dispair! I know how hard it is-I too am approaching my one year mark, with initiation nowhere in sight. It disappoints me everyday, and I know it's hard to read the stories of all the other lucky pnam's who have found their homes already-but you have to keep thinking, that if it's right it will happen-maybe not tomorrow, or next month, or even next year-but it will happen! So hang in there, and feel free to pm me if you want to talk, ok?? Hugs to you!!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Ladies, I can honestly say - I know how you feel.

I'm past the 1.5 year mark. I had all kinds of twists and turns (check out my threads in this section) and there was a point where I threw in the towel on the whole thing.

Having to move suddenly to another state after being assured I didn't have to was another wrench in the works.

But after some deep breaths, some extra sleep, and a LOT of encouragement from people on GC, I got back in the saddle. Call me crazy, but I think it will all be worth it in the end. After the time and effort we put into our AI pursuits never let ANY alumna (on GC or IRL) say that we took "the easy road" or that we didn't "earn our letters".

{{{HUGZ}}}

Adrienne
Old 07-16-2004, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, ladies! It is good to know that others are going through the same wishing and hoping that I am. I'm just not a passive person, and so much of this journey seems terribly passive. You don't want to seem too eager or too pushy or too desperate, etc. At the same time, you don't want to be too relaxed or seem not to care. You're right, adduncan, certainly NOT the easy road.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally posted by JennRN
I know it's hard to read the stories of all the other lucky pnam's who have found their homes already-

hee hee hee....as the most current AI, I think that I can be excluded from the "already" comment. Three and a half years in an AI search (and 7 years total) don't fit unless the statement is changed to "it's about time already!!" LOL

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 07-16-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisaMay
Thanks, ladies! It is good to know that others are going through the same wishing and hoping that I am. I'm just not a passive person, and so much of this journey seems terribly passive. You don't want to seem too eager or too pushy or too desperate, etc. At the same time, you don't want to be too relaxed or seem not to care. You're right, adduncan, certainly NOT the easy road.

LM

Oh my.....do I ever know this feeling! It's a tough balance to try and not to seem too pushy, but yet keep your name out there so people don't forget about you.

Hang in there!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 07-26-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...I'm whining now!!!

I want this soooo badly. The more I learn about "Little Women," the happier I am that I am working toward A.I., but at the same time, I am feeling more and more discouraged. The woman who had helped me SO much and had been SO supportive has not been in touch with me in months. I know that her life has become very, very busy, and she has a lot more to worry about than me and my little dream. Still, I don't know who else to talk to. I don't want to burden her any more than I already have. I have written to the alum group on several occasions with no reply.

I'm not really asking for a full-proof answer from you guys, but I just had to do a little griping!

Okay...I'm done

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 07-26-2004, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Instead of just sitting here being a cry-baby, I decided to be PRO-ACTIVE. I e-mailed another Alumna officer from my area. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response. I also did some research, and I found a website for the collegiate chapter that I would like to help. I was able to find a few possible contacts there.

I feel better knowing that even though the decision is out of my hands, I can do something to make my interest known. At one point in this journey, I thought that my road was going to be a very smooth one. I shouldn't be surprised that my first approach became a dead end. Hopefully, I've just found a new door!

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 07-26-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Good idea. Things kind of slow in the summer but should pick back up again in August/September. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Oh Damn, so gripe away, that is waht We are all here for!

This is your sounding board!

As aopirose, said, slow in summer, the living is easy!

Fall is the Wow time to go Baby Go!

Just Keep hand in! KAY!

Never is not ever!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

LouisaMay-
Please hang in there!!! I completely understand how you feel. I am not going through AI, but there is a job at work that I have been trying to get for 3 1/2 years. It feels just like the AI process - WAITING, WAITING, WAITING...... You don't want to seem to eager but yet not act interested. I don't know if I will ever hear the fat lady sing.....
Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember complaining in November that I would have to wait until September for recruitment (ours is deferred until fall of sophomore year) and I'm still impatient (especially since the time I spent on GC had multiplied exponentially).

GOOD LUCK! I definitely wish you the best and I'm glad that you're getting settled into your new home!

Keep us posted and feel free to vent about anything!