GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,166
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,600
5 members and 1,595 guests
Cookiez17, John, MSKKG, Xidelt

Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2008 View Post
She's new. This recruitment story may very well be the first GC thread she's read.

She's entitled to her lecture just like you're entitled to yours.

This is not the first recruitment story I have read. This is the first time I have registered and posted an opinion.
I find it interesting that you feel that I was lecturing her. I was expressing my opinion as to how when one thinks of diversity it's usually about personality and not always about looks. If we are being really honest than how diverse is a caucasian house. I think it's hypocritical to say that an all white house is more diverse than an asian house. Do not put words in my mouth.
There was no need to be hostile and condescending. I stated that I understood where she was coming from but found it a little off putting that because it's an asian house that it's not diverse.
FWIW, I was agreeing with you.

I hope your post wasn't directed to me.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We are progressing...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

All right Aprocess.... you're amazingly good at drawing this out.................
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE this thread. To the people who are upset with the reader, she is doing a great job of being "brutally honest" in that she's writing in the mindset of a naive woman going through rush...let's face it, all of us likely made superficial assumptions about GLOs when we were going through recruitment that would "offend" somebody on here, and I think she is bold enough to admit it.

Anyways, I think this thread is easily one of the most entertaining ones we've had in a while and I can't wait for the update.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

All this and no end of story yet?????
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If we are being really honest than how diverse is a caucasian house. I think it's hypocritical to say that an all white house is more diverse than an asian house.
Diversity can be measured in other ways than just race, just so you know. You chastise the OP for being turned off by the de facto segregation she observed, yet you assume that a chapter that is predominantly White couldn't possibly be diverse. Chapters can be diverse in many ways. Race, religion, political views, economic status, body types, looks, styles, majors, hometowns, and of course, personality are all ways a chapter can be diverse. I'm sure there are chapters where all or nearly all of the members are white, Protestant, conservative, wealthy, tall, thin, blonde, beautiful, preppy, from the same few hometowns and studying one of a small handful of majors, but being predominantly White doesn't mean the members are alike in every other way.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

good point(s)^^
Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprocess View Post
come on guys, panhellenic and IFC has a gamma (G.A.M.M.A.) chair which issssss.....
Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol.
Haha, at our school it is kind of a joke in that the biggest lushes in all the houses are usually the ones nominated to GAMMA.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Diversity can be measured in other ways than just race, just so you know. You chastise the OP for being turned off by the de facto segregation she observed, yet you assume that a chapter that is predominantly White couldn't possibly be diverse. Chapters can be diverse in many ways. Race, religion, political views, economic status, body types, looks, styles, majors, hometowns, and of course, personality are all ways a chapter can be diverse. I'm sure there are chapters where all or nearly all of the members are white, Protestant, conservative, wealthy, tall, thin, blonde, beautiful, preppy, from the same few hometowns and studying one of a small handful of majors, but being predominantly White doesn't mean the members are alike in every other way.
Agreed. Interesting that it's okay for a minority to say that they don't feel comfortable being in a group of all whites, but it is not okay for the OP.

Maybe instead of telling her that she was wrong for feeling uncomfortable, we should just realize that it was HER recruitment..in the PAST...and this is a STORY.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Agreed. Interesting that it's okay for a minority to say that they don't feel comfortable being in a group of all whites, but it is not okay for the OP.

Maybe instead of telling her that she was wrong for feeling uncomfortable, we should just realize that it was HER recruitment..in the PAST...and this is a STORY.
Agreed. I would've thought it inappropriate if she'd said some derogatory things about Asians (such as "I didn't want to be that sorority because everyone's Asian and I think all Asians are _________" but I don't think anything like that was said.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

"Diversity can be measured in other ways than just race, just so you know. You chastise the OP for being turned off by the de facto segregation she observed, yet you assume that a chapter that is predominantly White couldn't possibly be diverse. Chapters can be diverse in many ways. Race, religion, political views, economic status, body types, looks, styles, majors, hometowns, and of course, personality are all ways a chapter can be diverse. I'm sure there are chapters where all or nearly all of the members are white, Protestant, conservative, wealthy, tall, thin, blonde, beautiful, preppy, from the same few hometowns and studying one of a small handful of majors, but being predominantly White doesn't mean the members are alike in every other way."

VioletPretty: That was the point I was trying to make. It was not meant to only be about race but when you state that because the house was predominantly Asian than it's going to relate to race. I didn't mean for this to become such a big issue and this is the last post regarding the topic.
I'm tired of being told that I was lecturing or chastising the OP. Your last statement that being predominantly one race does not mean the members are alike in every way was what I was trying to say about her decision that an Asian house was not diverse because it's all Asian. I was trying to say that does not mean it's not diverse! She stated she wanted a house that was diverse but later admitted that her decision was based on the house being predominantly one race. The only problem I had was that she stated that she wanted "diversity." I was trying to make the same point that you made above but it got turned into me "chastising the OP."
Listen, I understand what she was trying to say but instead of saying diverse why not just say because it was Asian and I would not have felt comfortable. That is brutally honest. I don't want the OP or anyone to think that i was implying that the woman was a racist because that is not what I was trying to say. I think if I had just left out the part that I was Asian it would not have been misinterpreted.
I'm a very direct person and I believe in posting my opinion but I didn't post it to be mean to the OP. I think people just misinterpreted what I wrote and it got blown out of proportion.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Originally Posted by fantASTic

Fantastic:
I never said I was uncomfortable being in a white sorority!
I'm tired of defending myself on this post.
I joined a predominantly white sorority where my sisters were all blondes!
I was the only Asian in my house! I never had a problem joining the sorority.
If you actually read what I wrote I was trying to say what Violetpretty said above But I think the fact that I wrote that I was Asian automatically turned this into something more than what I was trying to say.

I stated and will state again that I understand this is HER OLD recruitment story and that she is being brutally honest. I stated that I understood what she was trying to say BUT DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH AND START THE WHOLE "IT'S OK FOR MINORITIES TO SAY THAT THEY DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH WHITES."
because I never even wrote that or Implied that!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

... and back to our regularly scheduled program!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"Diversity can be measured in other ways than just race, just so you know. You chastise the OP for being turned off by the de facto segregation she observed, yet you assume that a chapter that is predominantly White couldn't possibly be diverse. Chapters can be diverse in many ways. Race, religion, political views, economic status, body types, looks, styles, majors, hometowns, and of course, personality are all ways a chapter can be diverse. I'm sure there are chapters where all or nearly all of the members are white, Protestant, conservative, wealthy, tall, thin, blonde, beautiful, preppy, from the same few hometowns and studying one of a small handful of majors, but being predominantly White doesn't mean the members are alike in every other way."

VioletPretty: That was the point I was trying to make. It was not meant to only be about race but when you state that because the house was predominantly Asian than it's going to relate to race. I didn't mean for this to become such a big issue and this is the last post regarding the topic.
I'm tired of being told that I was lecturing or chastising the OP. Your last statement that being predominantly one race does not mean the members are alike in every way was what I was trying to say about her decision that an Asian house was not diverse because it's all Asian. I was trying to say that does not mean it's not diverse! She stated she wanted a house that was diverse but later admitted that her decision was based on the house being predominantly one race. The only problem I had was that she stated that she wanted "diversity." I was trying to make the same point that you made above but it got turned into me "chastising the OP."
Listen, I understand what she was trying to say but instead of saying diverse why not just say because it was Asian and I would not have felt comfortable. That is brutally honest. I don't want the OP or anyone to think that i was implying that the woman was a racist because that is not what I was trying to say. I think if I had just left out the part that I was Asian it would not have been misinterpreted.
I'm a very direct person and I believe in posting my opinion but I didn't post it to be mean to the OP. I think people just misinterpreted what I wrote and it got blown out of proportion.
I completely get what you were saying. She didn't look past the fact that they were all asian to see if there was another layer of diversity. I think the fact that she thought the chapter was segregated into asians and non-asians turned her off. I'm hoping that that was just a perception and not really the case.

NYC...in the future, realize that many things we mean one way come off completely different on a message board when read by someone who doesn't know you. I've been caught so many times on GC defending myself for something I meant a totally different way than people on the board took it. We all have to defend our statements on occasion, but I think this post explained what you meant!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 09-12-2008 at 08:14 AM.