GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,451
1 members and 1,450 guests
willTic

Old 03-27-2021, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
My family has chosen not to go inside until we're vaccinated. We've been doing curbside and a lot of home cooking. Meanwhile, our restaurants are packed.
Wise decision. Michigan's increases and decreases in COVID cases is directly proportional to the level of restrictions in place over the previous 1-2 weeks. Lowest cases when restaurants are carry-out/outdoors/curbside only. They rise when they were open indoors for 25% capacity. They opened for 50% capacity about 10 days ago and we're back to our highest positivity rates. It's so clearly obviously the primary cause of new cases. You cannot mask in a restaurant. Masks work.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

We've only eaten al fresco at restaurants over the past year. Considering Michigan winters, that means it's been 6 months since we've eaten out. Curbside is great and we always tip generously.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I do delivery and also tip generously.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still waiting to get my vaccine, but what worries me here in NYC is 1) now that the weather has warmed up, I see more people no longer wearing a mask outdoors; and 2) restaurants are re-opened for in-door dining and boy are those tables close.

I think things will spike with warm weather and people relaxing, including that once you're vaccinated, you can still get it albeit a mild case. I was waiting to pickup food at a cafe today and a guy walked up to the hostess without a mask on.I saw several other people pull their mask down to talk to the hostess....smh. She told me it made her very nervous.

Last edited by NYCMS; 03-27-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Most places around here are back to business as usual. The only place that still hasn't opened their dining room is Chick-Fil-A. Not many people have worn masks for quite awhile and our Covid rate is low. I feel like possibly a lot of people here had mild cases early on.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Most places around here are back to business as usual. The only place that still hasn't opened their dining room is Chick-Fil-A. Not many people have worn masks for quite awhile and our Covid rate is low. I feel like possibly a lot of people here had mild cases early on.
And "back to business" makes me nervous. CDC guidelines for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people are to keep wearing a mask in public, socially distance and wash hands frequently. Lots of folks not yet vaccinated and there are those who will refuse to get the shot. I don't think we can be too cautious, especially with all the new variants.

Great article on this topic from ABC News today including why a plateau in cases is not a good thing given the vaccination rates.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/vaccin...posts_card_hed

Last edited by NYCMS; 03-27-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

No, I mean they've been back to business as usual since last fall.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The father of one of my colleagues is hospitalized with Covid and he and his wife were fully vaccinated. He is not doing well. He is 89 and only leaves the house to go to medical appointments. They didn't even test him until after he was admitted, because they didn't suspect Covid.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Do you know what vaccine he had?
Old 03-28-2021, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Had 2nd Pfizer dose on Friday. Was spending the weekend with friends and was worried about feeling bad. Alternated Advil/Tylenol every 6-8 hours or so for the first 36 hours and still feel completely fine. My arm actually hurts less with this one than it did with the first one. I'm in my late 40's.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Do you know what vaccine he had?
I don't, but I'll find out. It was either Pfizer or Moderna, because I was told he and his wife had "both shots."

Meanwhile, my son was invited today for his first dose tomorrow, and our daughter has her first dose of Pfizer scheduled for April 8. I have my second dose on Wednesday. The pace of vaccination has really ramped up here.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Had my second shot of Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Arm hurts a tiny little bit but I’m wearing magnetic bracelets to help from feeling sore. No other side effects. I’m going to a concert in two weeks! So excited! Will still be wearing a mask though.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I had my first Pfizer on Saturday. My arm began to be sore a few hours after the injection.It was no more sore than any other injection I have had in my arm. I kept moving my arm, hoping that it would limber up the injection site. That did the trick, and by Sunday afternoon, my arm was no longer sore.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Had 2nd Pfizer dose on Friday. Was spending the weekend with friends and was worried about feeling bad.
From what the pharmacists are saying, you need to wait 2 weeks after the 2nd dose before you build the antibodies. My parents (in their 80s) had their 2nd shots in mid February are still are not spending time with friends. I've only had one shot and I still wear a mask around them (and I've tested negative 4 times for antibodies when donating blood)
Old 03-30-2021, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
From what the pharmacists are saying, you need to wait 2 weeks after the 2nd dose before you build the antibodies. My parents (in their 80s) had their 2nd shots in mid February are still are not spending time with friends. I've only had one shot and I still wear a mask around them (and I've tested negative 4 times for antibodies when donating blood)
Actually, you have antibodies starting about two weeks after the first dose. During the clinical trials, they were saying that the vaccines were 50% effective after the first dose and you would receive "peak protection" of 90% about two weeks after the second dose. But that wasn't to say that you had no protection or antibodies at all after the first dose.

As it were, additional studies conducted by the CDC, using real-world people who received the vaccine in the earliest rounds, have revealed that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were 80% effective after the first dose! 80%!! That means that the second dose only adds an additional 10% of protection.

See it here: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-...effective.html

Also, an antibody test (from your blood donations) won't tell you if the COVID vaccine is working or not. Antibody tests are looking for a certain protein in people who have already had the actual COVID virus. If you have tested negative four times, congratulations! That means that you've never had COVID! Though, those tests don't mean that your body still hasn't produced antibodies from the vaccine. The antibody test you took, I presume, was looking for a different "piece" than the ones the vaccines makes. The Atlantic had an article that's a bit wordy, but it explains it well.

The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-tests/617981/

Washington Post, easier read, but less informative: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...antibody-test/

Finally, the CDC says that fully vaccinated people are free to visit other fully vaccinated people indoors without masks. They can also visit with unvaccinated low-risk people from a single household indoors without masks. Of course, you and your parents are welcome to operate at your own comfort level; but, it is not necessary to fully stay inside and not visit anyone.

See the CDC guidelines here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-guidance.html

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 03-30-2021 at 08:03 PM.