GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,368
3 members and 1,365 guests
KatieKate1244, Xidelt

Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I wont post who I preffed, but I suicided my bid card for Theta. Luckily it didnt backfire on me and I got a bid from them. It's been one of the best decisions and experiences of my life. I dont regret it at all
Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessPhiSig
I definitely got my first choice! I was torn between two of the three sororities on campus. It wasn't until pref night that I realized I didn't want to be anywhere else. I was so thrilled to open up the envelope and see Phi Sigma Sigma's crest on the bid card. I made the call IMMEDIATELY to accept!
Old 04-03-2004, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Yes I did.

I was completely cluess when I went through rush. I basically decided to give it a shot because my sister's college boyfriend (at a different school) had been Greek, and he'd always spoken well of it, I thought it might be worth a try. I had no idea about anything.
During summer orientation, it seemed every where I went, another girl (who was also going thru orientation) was there. We randomly ended up sitting next to each other during a general orientation session, then went we broke into majors, we had the same one. I went to the meeting about recruitment and to tour a house, and there she was again. (I realize this doesn't tie in right now but it'll make sense)
A lot of the first day (fifteen parties) was such a blur, I remember starting out a Chi O's but that's about it, but I still remember going to Theta, I can even remember the songs that they sang on the way in and out. The first girl I meant I immediately clicked with, she actually became one of my twinstars on bid day.
The second day I remember getting back to the house and just feeling a complete sense of relief and just a genuine sense of happness, and it pretty much reinforced my feeling of wanting to be there.
The third day, I meant a sister who later on became my pledge mom, she was awesome and I just hoped that they'd invite me back for pref.
Pref night came and I went to Theta and XYZ. I went to XYZ first, the girls there were nice, but it just didn't feel right. Then I went to Theta and everything just seemed to click into place and I knew it's where I wanted to be.
Bid day came and I got my first choice, and when we got back to the chapter house and I was meeting all the other new members, there was the girl from orientation. She was a double Theta legacy, and she became one of my best friends. We always thought it was funny that we met at Orientation.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my first choice as well. I filled in both chapters, but I new I was going to end up at Chi Omega :-)
Old 04-07-2004, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Just some clarification

Just lil' ole me with a question. If you didn't get your first choice would you admit it?? Although it seems from the majority of the posts I've read that every got their first choice.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
I'd probably admit if I didn't get my first choice... I'd have felt that if I wasn't accepted in my first choice, then it was probably not the right choice in the first place... It is a mutual decision.

I went through informal fraternity rush at Univ of Missouri-Columbia... I know the girls informal rush is very competitive and I'm thankful I didn't have to go through that...

Basically since I live in Columbia and went to high school here, I was able to check out fraternities (theres 27ish) at the beginning of my senior year... I was able to hang out with about 8 of them, some big some smaller, by contacting rush chairs... I knew I couldn't do all 27, so I went by word of mouth by opinion, reputation and achievements.. Finally I came along one which I fit in almost perfectly... Everything semed right, plus I knew a couple of the guys... It is a very strong house on MU's campus and was definately my first choice...

Sooo, I focused on hanging out with them more than any others more and more until finally I was offered a bid...

Got my first choice, and I'll see how it goes when I start school Fall of 2004... No doubts or worries though. Just pure excitement!

-Matt

Last edited by SiKeS; 04-07-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 PM

Re: Just some clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Just lil' ole me with a question. If you didn't get your first choice would you admit it?? Although it seems from the majority of the posts I've read that every got their first choice.
Yes....there are quite a few people on here who've readily admitted they didn't get their first choice.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Just some clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
I didn't get mine, and I'm probably better off because of it. Not that my first choice was bad, but it just isn't the place for me. And if we're going off of first impressions, well then I did get my first choice. =)
Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to scuthetagirl
When I was a freshman and sophomore, I really didn't think about rushing at all. Best Friend #1 goes to USC, and she got a pamphlet about rushing before she started school, and Best Friend #2 gave her a hard time for thinking about rushing (even though she wasn't really thinking about it much). Then Best Friend #2 rushed at Chapman University and became a Phi Sig and absolutely loved it (we tease her about being hypocritical, but she's so happy there, and we still love her). All summer after my sophomore year I was getting farther and farther away from my school friends and was really looking for a sisterhood that would mirror what I had with my best friends from home. My Phi Sig best friend was so in love with her sisterhood, and I was thinking about rushing here, but we only had 2 sororities (Alpha Phi and DG) and they were incapable of housing all the girls that wanted to go Greek, so I didn't think I had a chance with them as a junior if even the freshmen and sophomores were being turned away because of capacity issues. Then a DG friend of mine told me about Theta colonizing here, but I didn't really think about it too much. Best Friend #1 at USC joined a Christian sorority (Phi Beta Chi) last semester and it got me thinking again about what I would get out of a sisterhood that I wasn't getting elsewhere on campus. When a few of my friends became charter members of Theta, I decided that it might be a good fit for me, so I went to one of their pre-rush events (our formal rush is in January). I stayed the whole time and just loved the girls, they were so friendly. I thought I would have to go through formal recruitment, because I was overwhelmed and was afraid they would all cut me b/c I was too old, but then my friend Mel told me about some COB for upperclassmen before formal rush and I went to that. I got a bid and the rest is history! I'm so lucky to be a Theta---it really is where I belong!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
When I went through rush I didnt know anything about the sororities or anyone in them. I narrowed it down to two though, DG and AB and AB dirty rushed me real bad, they told me they wanted me and to see me in their letters and so on. So i put them first and really wanted them, cause I thought they wanted me. But I got DG and now I know that if i wouldve gotten my first choice I wouldve most likely dropped out. I learned so much about them later that I didnt know. So I guess in a way I did get my first choice, cause I am SOOOO happy being a DG and wouldnt want anything else!!!!!
Kayla
Old 04-08-2004, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Well it was a choice between SAI and the other music GLO on campus, and I didn't click with the other group. SAI was the most fun, sweet, awesome group to me so I knew I had found my home.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I did. out of three sororities at my school, i dropped one, one dropped me and i 'suicided' sort of, Delta Zeta. I had no doubts it was the place for me and i still don't!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up To answer the question

While I was very close with members of sororities on my campus, I came to college knowing that I would be a Zeta. And YES I had the attitude of "I bleed blue and cry white"!

I went to my first informational in a Blue shirt with a white collar and cuff!!! I know that is a major faux pas but I think I was just delirious and didn't care, LOL.

"It's Every Woman's Delight to Wear Royal Blue and Pure White!"
Old 04-09-2004, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Like some other people have said: Yes and No.

I went into rush (16 sororities) thinking I'd like to be in ChiO, where my best friend's older sister was pledging. Had never heard of ASA, but I could tell from the 1st round that I belonged there - it was a perfect fit.

So when ChiO cut me 3rd rounds, I was fine with it, because I knew ASA was a better fit. I suicided there - I'm sure I could have been happy elsewhere eventually, but ASA was too perfect match to my personality.

My best friends from freshman year went to Kappa, ChiO, TriDelt and 2 others went to ASA with me. The nice thing about sorority housing in the dorms is that I ended up eating meals with Kappas, ChiOs, and TriDelts as often as I did with the ASAs, and was able to stay close with my friends in these other groups.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess you could say I got my first choice. I was unable to go through formal rush b/c of work and a heavy class schedule.
I finally was able to free up some time but by then only two sororities were offering COB. Sigma Kappa and Alpha Omicron Pi. My original choices were actually SK, Tri-Delt, and DZ.
The girls of Sigma Kappa contacted me right away and invited me to spend an evening with them watching Friends and eating pizza. I felt right at home b/c the girls kept coming up to me and were so friendly and wonderful, I knew then that nowhere else would I have found this kind of welcome.
Everything worked out for the best for me. As it turns out, while we did have a smaller pledge class than most other NPC sororities on my campus, (we have 7 NPC sororities) all of our girls are still there. The other sororities ended up with MANY of their new members dropping.

I'm not saying anything bad about the other sororities b/c they are all great and unique, but I found a place I can actually call home.

At Sigma Kappa, quality counts!!!