GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 953
4 members and 949 guests
JayhawkAOII, PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not seen an AfAm specific internet site for mental healthcare. I have seen a general website for mental healthcare at allexperts.com. They make you sign a waiver before you can ask a question to any expert you want to deal with and the expert chooses to answer your question or not. They will refuse to answer perverted questions or questions that have liabilities to it...

I would be VERY interested in being a part of place that serves that need being a consumer for nearly 15 years. I think if there is a staff with credentials of at least 3-5 people, I think both a group format and a 1-1 PM can work. I also would like to see a powerpoint or macromedia presentation of pertinent issues required at sign up so everyone on board comes in on the same page. Many of us don't know what "depression" is as defined by AMA, APA, DSM-VI guidelines state--for example... There are issues as to what it is not, too... Professionals know that, but the lay may not.

We could have religious circles or spiritual areas; and we can have pure by the book secular understandings, mindfulness. Whatever works.

Last, I would want to see whitepaper. What's the point in doing this if you all who need cannot get accolades and training that you need anyway? I would want to see this presented a major international meetings and know I was a part of something bigger than myself...

That's my take. I know I can probably get a few psychiatrists on board...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
You know, I would LOVE to use whatever venue we come up with as a research topic.

I need ya'll to help get me motivated to get my butt in gear and get back to school. I've found a program that matches what I want to do, but that first step is always the hardest.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
You know, I would LOVE to use whatever venue we come up with as a research topic.

I need ya'll to help get me motivated to get my butt in gear and get back to school. I've found a program that matches what I want to do, but that first step is always the hardest.
Please do it. I am in school now and it is very rewarding. Start with a small step....like take the GRE (or whatever). Continue to move in small steps. You will gain momentum. Then before you know it, you will be on GC farting around because you dont want to do any studying.

Its possible. If I am doing it, its possible.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Disclaimer

Since this forum is in the AKA Ave. and the Moderators support the comments made here:

I want to make this place a "safe zone" for anyone who feels so empowered to talk freely. Many of us have made ourselves vulnerable here, but that fact is outweighed by COMMUNICATION...

Ground rules are: there is no judgment. If one has to judge, send a PM and do it. Blasting is uncool in this thread.

People can provide what worked for them and support for one another. That is what this thread is all about.

If you have some real issues you need to discuss with professionals, and their advice is for only for the purposes of entertainment, PM them. In no way should it be used as a substitution for real treatment options.

Now, there is at least one professional on this thread willing to accept PMs. Please read the thread because it is not my place to single them out.

Rules are subject to change without notice.

Please list to say you agree to these rules. If you don't agree to these rules, we just won't expect your participation and we can remove your posts. I am just protecting folks here...

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 02-22-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added thought.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

National Institutes of Mental Health

Pretty good site...

It is just a starting point for those who want to pursue their own research...

Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile ((((Soror Ideal08))))) ... is my favorite!!

agree.

Soror Ideal08, I was going to write point-by-point how it seems like we are living parallel existences, but, suffice it to say that our experiences are almost identical even in the smallest ways .... Thank you for sharing your experience .... it helps soooooooo much to know that I am not alone. Reading your post was healing to me ... I'm not the only one out there dealing with this isolation thing and the myriad challenges it brings. It helps to know that others feel the way I feel and have to cope with the same difficulties. Much love .... what a huge unexpected blessing this dialogue is! ...... and to the sorors and sisterfriends that are sharing ... God Bless y'all too...(((((nikki1920)))) ((((darling1)))) and all the rest!

This thread has just about broke a sister down and built her back up again

.... and it's nice to know that I'm not crazy
(I'm not......right??? uhhhhh...Right?? lol)
"this is a Serious matter!"
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been following this thread silently, and I just want to thank my sorors (especially my sorors), sistergreeks, and sisterfriends for courageously sharing their stories. I want to hug you all, because I know to an extent the places that you have been and how hard it is to come out of them.

The last year has been a difficult one for me--some mild depression. Because I am stubborn, I insisted on trying to work through my issues myself. I feel a lot better these days, but I am at the point where I think that I need to talk to a professional, just to help me move through this last bit.

Keep sharing ladies.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Since this forum is in the AKA Ave. and the Moderators support the comments made here:

I want to make this place a "safe zone" for anyone who feels so empowered to talk freely. Many of us have made ourselves vulnerable here, but that fact is outweighed by COMMUNICATION...

Ground rules are: there is no judgment. If one has to judge, send a PM and do it. Blasting is uncool in this thread.

People can provide what worked for them and support for one another. That is what this thread is all about.

If you have some real issues you need to discuss with professionals, and their advice is for only for the purposes of entertainment, PM them. In no way should it be used as a substitution for real treatment options.

Now, there is at least one professional on this thread willing to accept PMs. Please read the thread because it is not my place to single them out.

Rules are subject to change without notice.

Please list to say you agree to these rules. If you don't agree to these rules, we just won't expect your participation and we can remove your posts. I am just protecting folks here...
I agree

Oh, what you said about substitution. PLEASE seek professional help and do not use this thread a substitute for that.

It's a jungle out there.

Last edited by mulattogyrl; 02-23-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
I agree.

While we can share our stories, they, in no way, are meant to be a directive for someone to do take the same path.

You can contacy your local department of mental health for a start or go through your employer's Employee Assistance Program. If you are on Medicaid, mental health IS a covered service.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree
Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattogyrl View Post
PLEASE seek professional help and do not use this thread a substitute for that.
That's why I made the comment about not expecting everyone to share their story earlier.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

CNN did a story called "Black and Blue: Depression Among African Americans."

Terrie Williams, author of "Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting," was on there with some important reminders.

1. Issues of Af Am mental health became overshadowed during slavery where blacks learned how to hide their feelings and ignore their families' and their own needs. They had to. If slaves showed emotion or personal attention to their children, they were often sold to other slave owners. The goal was to divide the slave families so they could be herds of cattle without attachments to people, instead of humans--that makes it economically and morally easier to enslave people.

Thus, began the pattern and it is not easily broken.

2. Af Am community emphasizes prayer (which I mentioned in one of my first posts) and prayer is supposed to be the end-all-and-be-all in theory and practice for many. So people who seek help are perceived as admitting that God can't solve all and doesn't answer prayers. This is a supposed betrayal of God which contributes to silence in the communities and a failure for almost all institutions in the black community to address mental health.

3. General distrust for medicine that especially began with the Tuskegee experiment. Blacks were taken advantage in that experiment and that led to a fear of medicine and lying ass medical experts.

4. The Invincible Sista Syndrome: The mask of the superwoman that black women wear. Pay attention to the signs and symptoms of depression and other mental disorders. Give yourself the necessary attention to address this issue. Seek help before the mask cracks!!!

Terrie Williams asks that on MARCH 1 everyone goes to www.staystrongfoundation.org TO PLEDGE YOUR COMMITMENT TO THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE..

I can't find the link for the CNN story but here's more info on Af Am mental health and Terrie Williams' book and personal story:
http://www.healthyplace.com/Communit...norities_9.asp
http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/200...on-black-pain/

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-23-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

And it begins....
Old 02-23-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that (above Chaos) is a troll; does not look or sound like KSUViolet. I suggest that we delete these posts whenever they appear so that they do not sidetrack and important thread.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

DSTCHAOS, have you read "Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting"? It looked interesting and helpful, but I want to be sure before I buy it.

This is an amazing thread. Recently, I have taken time to summon the courage to start dealing with my own mental health needs. It is so hard to look my issues in the face and begin dealing with them - slowly. Kudos and love to all who have posted. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

AKA
Closed Thread