GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 966
0 members and 966 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Generally speaking UQ is set just like regular quota - the number of upperclass women signing bid cards divided by the number of chapters.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

awwwww, lilybeth....she must be worn out.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope that the girls get some rest. They all looked very pretty in their black dresses today in the pics shown online.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi all....feeling a little crappy today as my daughter was released from rush at 1:30 this a.m. This was her 2nd year going through and while she thought the friendships she had made in several of the houses would be an asset, I guess that it wasn't meant to be. Despite returning to 11 houses rd 2, she was invited back to 2 for rd 3. One of those two more than likely would not have been an option....on either side, so that really left her with 1 possibility. She is more devastated this time around as she felt she had a really good chance and did not go into the process with clear cut opinions on what house she "had" to be in. While friends and family have been supportive, and I certainly believe all things happen for a reason, it's difficult now knowing how upset she is. Fortunately at UGA there are many things to do....it's just that despite only 25% of the student being in greek life, they are just in your face with the things they are doing (which are all good and positive) and when you really want to belong to that group it's like salt in the wound. They play up all the great things about sisterhood, etc. so why wouldn't one want to be a part? Good luck to all out there.....daughter #2 graduates HS this year and should she be at an SEC school and decide to do rush, I think I will leave the country.

Nice chatting with you!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMom View Post
Good luck to all out there.....daughter #2 graduates HS this year and should she be at an SEC school and decide to do rush, I think I will leave the country.
My mom wouldn't have wanted to go through another SEC rush after my UGA experience and my sister's Bama experience. It's just so stressful.

I'm so sorry for your daughter, BeachMom. Is she considering spring recruitment or do you think she's done with the whole process? It's much less high-pressure in the spring.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry for your daughter beachmom. Would a snap bid be a possibility?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

beachmom, i too am sorry. (((((hugs))))) to you both.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks again....UGA does not have spring recruitment. She told her Gamma Chi that she was interested in COB. There were 194 upperclassmen participating this year, so I'm sure that quota was a little more tight than in the past 2 years. I do, and then I don't, want to know the quota numbers. It is just so DAMN frustrating! If needed, I can post her info and picture and you can see for yourself that she isn't a cyclops or boring person. Just a great all around girl. I've heard from the moms of 3 of her friends (in 3 different houses...this was there first year on the "other side") and they were sorry that it didn't turn out for her....just a typical rush year at an SEC school. You start to wonder when 1492 girls sign up for rush that the discussion about the economy, etc. is just a bunch of hog wash and the fact that the HOPE scholarship reduced the amount of reimbursement and eliminated covering fees and books hasn't affected anyone's pocketbook. I'm more than inclined than ever to encourage her to participated in the LEAD South Africa trip for next year! Thanks again everyone for the well wishes!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin has had a great day today. Hopefully she does not receive a dreaded text message/phone call letting her know she's been released. Chocolate is still her favorite, although she likes the other two as well. As expected, her best friend is still having a hard time deciding which house she likes the best. Hopefully both of them will receive a bid.

Any updates from anyone else?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to wareagle93cousin and friend!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMom View Post
Thanks again....UGA does not have spring recruitment. She told her Gamma Chi that she was interested in COB. There were 194 upperclassmen participating this year, so I'm sure that quota was a little more tight than in the past 2 years. I do, and then I don't, want to know the quota numbers. It is just so DAMN frustrating! If needed, I can post her info and picture and you can see for yourself that she isn't a cyclops or boring person. Just a great all around girl. I've heard from the moms of 3 of her friends (in 3 different houses...this was there first year on the "other side") and they were sorry that it didn't turn out for her....just a typical rush year at an SEC school. You start to wonder when 1492 girls sign up for rush that the discussion about the economy, etc. is just a bunch of hog wash and the fact that the HOPE scholarship reduced the amount of reimbursement and eliminated covering fees and books hasn't affected anyone's pocketbook. I'm more than inclined than ever to encourage her to participated in the LEAD South Africa trip for next year! Thanks again everyone for the well wishes!
I feel just awful for your daughter, Beachmom. She seems like a wonderful girl-a big loss on behalf of the sororities at UGA. The great thing about UGA is that there are plenty of activities to get involved in. Plus, it's in arguably the greatest college town in the country. Whatever she decides to do, she'll have a very bright future. UGA is one of the better schools in the country, and no doubt she'll be able to get a terrific job upon graduation. Please keep us posted if she decides to rush again next year. Also, we hope to have you back next year if your other daughter decides to rush, whether it be at UGA or any other school.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
good luck to wareagle93cousin and friend!
Thank you so much. I can tell you this, she is completely emotionally and mentally drained-as are most of the girls in her group. Don't get me wrong, she's had a blast, but she said that it is, without question, the hardest thing she's ever gone through-if that makes any sense.

The poor girl still has hardly any voice, but she said she was able to communicate with the other girls today.

I will keep all of you updated on what happens tomorrow. I might stay up until the deadline where she will be informed if she has been released. Although does anyone know what time that will be? 1:00 or 1:30AM? If she is blessed enough to get a bid, I will also updated you all on where she and her best friend pledge (I hope!!!).
Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Just joining in....

My daughter is at UGA and has had some ups and downs during the week as well. We talked about keeping an open mind and getting to know all the houses before she started, which I believe she has tried to do, but she clearly had a few favorites out of the gate. She received 12 invites after round one, but two were from her bottom 5. She was blessed to receive 6 invites to skit day, where she lost 2 of her top six. She also had two houses that she couldn't seem to find a connection with that appeared in her list of 6. She was grateful to end up with three invites to Pref, all from her top 3. She is back and forth between her top two picks on which one she likes better as they have been neck and neck for days now. One of the houses she already loved prior to this week and the other one became a front runner after the very first day. She would be happy with a bid from all three, but has a stronger connection with her 1st and 2nd choices.

She is on pins and needles tonight. To add to this stress, one of her best friends at Auburn has not had a good outcome at the final stage of the process there. Not sure of the details but I just can't imagine her friend not being in a sorority at Auburn.

I will keep positive thoughts for all those still waiting and have found great respect and strength in those that have had the process end too soon.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

so sorry for your daughter, Beach Mom, and all the other moms out there w this stress. I think the process has lost a lot of it's appeal. I am concerned for my daughter too, as I fear they all tell the PNMs that they will be back for Bid day, but you cannot possibly bring but around 1/3 back. I do not understand what it takes.