GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,497
1 members and 1,496 guests
3DGator

Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When you compared KBG's website to some of the NPC groups - did you not see a difference? Did you not compare their resources offered - and the dues you would have to pay - with some of your other friends that were in sororities?
But isn't there like only 1 other sorority on campus? So if someone was going through rush with the best of intentions to join greek life and accepted KBG's bid because they liked the girls (which they obviously did), it doesn't necessarily mean that 2 years later, when she's now a junior and trying to build the chapter and request support from a non-functioning national office, that she doesn't still appreciate the sisterhood, she's just fully aware that the operations of the org are not what they need to sustain their chapter. The fact that KBG released them speaks to the fact that they recognized their inability to support and retain these women/that chapter.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
But these undergrads weren't even getting the full college experience, it sounds like. No materials, training, support, marketing through a website that would help them in rush, etc. So they would graduate into alum status and, what? They would still know very little and probably not be successful building an alum chapter if they had difficulty even running their undergrad chapter.
Oh come now.

We both know that there are chapters out there who are definitely having the "full college experience" even if their nationals may not be up to par with the other groups on campus.

I didn't see anything that said the KBG chapter had trouble with numbers or campus involvement or being successful as a collegiate chapter. If they sucked at all that, I honestly don't think anyone would have picked them up.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh come now.

We both know that there are chapters out there who are definitely having the "full college experience" even if their nationals may not be up to par with the other groups on campus.

I didn't see anything that said the KBG chapter had trouble with numbers or campus involvement or being successful as a collegiate chapter. If they sucked at all that, I honestly don't think anyone would have picked them up.
I'm not saying they were having numbers trouble or weren't a strong chapter on the campus, I'm reading that the women were given very little guidance and know-how in terms of how to actually be KBGs. And I can imagine that once they were in the org (and trying to run it), not having information and resources would be very frustrating. And if they didn't feel they were informed and empowered enough to really run a "KBG chapter", to me, that's not getting the full experience. And I'm sure it also was easy to see the differences in how they were trying to operate vs. how the NPC chapter on campus was able to operate.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh come now.

I do just want to say that before Alpha Phi colonized, KBG had approx 50-60 members and Chi Omega had 100+. These women are tops on campus in terms of leadership and academics, but to try to compete with the only other sorority on campus is difficult when they are twice your size.

Also, knowing this campus and knowing the personality of these groups, Chi Omega and KBG are very different and seek very different women. With recruitment being deferred, PNMs knew which group they wanted even before going to events. Trust me, these women are not visiting websites or comparing dues and support to find the best sorority for them.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe no one had even commented that a member of KGB's national leadership came on here and put a former chapter of theirs on blast like she did... IMO, it says a lot about the leadership of the group.

The ladies that have posted on here that are members of the chapter in question have handled themselves with absolute class, considering the attacks they are undergoing.

It sounds like they did everything they could... a year and a half of disaffiliating? Why on earth would it even take that long (especially considering how young the chapter was)?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
The ladies that have posted on here that are members of the chapter in question have handled themselves with absolute class...
Amen!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta kala View Post
Also, knowing this campus and knowing the personality of these groups, Chi Omega and KBG are very different and seek very different women. With recruitment being deferred, PNMs knew which group they wanted even before going to events. Trust me, these women are not visiting websites or comparing dues and support to find the best sorority for them.
Then if the women in the sorority are the most important thing, what does it matter if they're KD, KBG, or a local?

You can't have it both ways.

And this is FAR from the first time a national sorority officer has put a chapter or an individual on blast on GC. They just didn't do it with their name attached.

Last edited by 33girl; 05-15-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
I can't believe no one had even commented that a member of KGB's national leadership came on here and put a former chapter of theirs on blast like she did... IMO, it says a lot about the leadership of the group.

The ladies that have posted on here that are members of the chapter in question have handled themselves with absolute class, considering the attacks they are undergoing.

It sounds like they did everything they could... a year and a half of disaffiliating? Why on earth would it even take that long (especially considering how young the chapter was)?
Ditto! I also think it's funny how people are chastising these women for making a choice in a situation only really known to them. Sure, in a perfect world with all options being equal, a chapter should be loyal to its national group. Clearly, however, options were not all equal. The situation is what it is...I choose to believe that these decisions were not made lightly!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

By the way, I looked at the "What's New?" section of the KGB website and found something really funny.
http://www.kappabetagamma.org/News.htm

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
By the way, I looked at the "What's New?" section of the KGB website and found something really funny.
When was the last time anyone updated the website? 2004? Is it that hard to update a website? I think not.

A few months ago, I don't know if it was BootyKBG or another member, but a member said that they are committed to their plans to expand to more and more campuses. If that's true, then why no updated website? That's the first thing people look at when they want to know more about you.

Instead of national officers putting former chapters and members on blast, perhaps they might find better use of their time improving their leadership and internal affairs of their organization.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Even better: http://www.kappabetagamma.org/Photo%...u%20Photos.htm

Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
When was the last time anyone updated the website? 2004? Is it that hard to update a website? I think not.

A few months ago, I don't know if it was BootyKBG or another member, but a member said that they are committed to their plans to expand to more and more campuses. If that's true, then why no updated website? That's the first thing people look at when they want to know more about you.

Instead of national officers putting former chapters and members on blast, perhaps they might find better use of their time improving their leadership and internal affairs of their organization.
Actually, the website is a bit updated (just still looks old). I clicked the link in one of the earlier posts prior to today and their website was about 2 pages. Now there's links for alumni, "members only", how to start a chapter, national officer contact info, pictures of chapters and alumni (the photo properties are dated today). I believe this thread has brought inspiration and a sense of urgency to some folks!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM

I can think of NPC groups (yeah, one of them was mine) who went a similarly long time without updating their websites. Who had few, if any, traveling consultants.

No one came on here and cracked on them or said "wow, isn't that funny."

It wasn't someone from KBG who brought up the question of whether this chapter was disloyal or whether they had conducted things as they should, it was someone who had no dog in the fight (so to speak). KD members defended their new sisters, and a KBG member responded with their side of the story.

And like I said, if I seem leaning a little more to one side than the other, it's because my sorority has had issues with promises made by NPC and not followed through.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
And like I said, if I seem leaning a little more to one side than the other, it's because my sorority has had issues with promises made by NPC and not followed through.
From 1951??
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can think of NPC groups (yeah, one of them was mine) who went a similarly long time without updating their websites. Who had few, if any, traveling consultants.
While we always (since I've been a member) have had traveling consultants, there was a time when our website was very out-of-date, and I'm pretty sure Chi Omega has more resources available than Kappa Beta Gamma. At any rate, KBG is in the process of updating their website; it should go live in a month or so.