GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,193
3 members and 1,190 guests
John, UW_dawg

Old 06-14-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teena View Post
Ok. I see alot of Houston people in this thread. Anyone have a realtor that could assist me in in finding a nice place? I am not sure of the one I'm working with.
Yep. Send me a PM

I Stay Woke!!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I'm glad I found this thread again!

I'm relocating to San Marcos, TX in August as I got a new position at Texas State. It's between Austin and San Antonio. I think a lot of the students live in Austin, anyone have any insight about it?

I'll probably be traveling to Houston regularly as well to join the alumni chapter there (it's the closest one to me). So everything I've read about Houston has been helpful too.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread again!

I'm relocating to San Marcos, TX in August as I got a new position at Texas State. It's between Austin and San Antonio. I think a lot of the students live in Austin, anyone have any insight about it?

I'll probably be traveling to Houston regularly as well to join the alumni chapter there (it's the closest one to me). So everything I've read about Houston has been helpful too.
That will be a very long drive to make for meetings and events.

I've been to Texas State a couple of times for a step show. It's the consumate college town. But, there is a great outlet mall in San Marcos so you'll definitely enjoy that!

I Stay Woke!!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeezDiscreet View Post
That will be a very long drive to make for meetings and events.

I've been to Texas State a couple of times for a step show. It's the consumate college town. But, there is a great outlet mall in San Marcos so you'll definitely enjoy that!
I know...I'm not necessarily looking forward to that drive either! However the meetings are once a month, so it won't be that bad.
I've been warned about the outlet mall already! I'm looking forward to experiencing a new place though.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

n e one got n e thing on phoenix?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone have any advice on my move from New Orleans to Houston???

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I just graduated and have accepted an offer with a very prominent company in Houston. The problem is that I'm getting more scared everyday. I am from a small city (New Orleans) compared to Houston. Everyday my nerves are bothering me more and more. I have been to many cities, but it was only short-term, I even lived in Harlem for 3 months. Please give me some advice on how to deal with this. I am driving myself crazy, even the apartment hunt is killing me. I just want to calm my nerves. I Love New Orleans because everybody knows everybody. LOL. But, I know its not the best place to be Post-Katrina, so I chose to start my career elsewhere. But I think that I am starting to regret it. I leave in approximately 2 months, and I just don't know what to do.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loved&Inspired View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I just graduated and have accepted an offer with a very prominent company in Houston. The problem is that I'm getting more scared everyday. I am from a small city (New Orleans) compared to Houston. Everyday my nerves are bothering me more and more. I have been to many cities, but it was only short-term, I even lived in Harlem for 3 months. Please give me some advice on how to deal with this. I am driving myself crazy, even the apartment hunt is killing me. I just want to calm my nerves. I Love New Orleans because everybody knows everybody. LOL. But, I know its not the best place to be Post-Katrina, so I chose to start my career elsewhere. But I think that I am starting to regret it. I leave in approximately 2 months, and I just don't know what to do.

I'm from Houston - born and raised.

The one thing about Houston is that you need a car.

As far as apartments - it depends on where you want to live. There is decent housing and not so decent housing all around town. If you don't like long commutes, then try to live close to your job. Right now the housing market is so-so, leaning towards the buyers side, so you might be able to get a very decent house / condo starting at around 150,000. Recently a developer was auctioning off his condos starting at 80,000. No matter where you live, go see it first - just don't go by the web site.

There's lots to do and get involved in, so don't worry about a social life.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I'm from Houston - born and raised.

The one thing about Houston is that you need a car.

As far as apartments - it depends on where you want to live. There is decent housing and not so decent housing all around town. If you don't like long commutes, then try to live close to your job. Right now the housing market is so-so, leaning towards the buyers side, so you might be able to get a very decent house / condo starting at around 150,000. Recently a developer was auctioning off his condos starting at 80,000. No matter where you live, go see it first - just don't go by the web site.

There's lots to do and get involved in, so don't worry about a social life.

Thanks for the info. That sounds really cool. It's just that the area where my job is located is not exactly a great area to live in and I hate to commute.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That sounds really cool. It's just that the area where my job is located is not exactly a great area to live in and I hate to commute.
Well, honestly, you'll have to do one or the other. :shrugs:

I love Houston, but there never really was or is any true urban planning and there is no zoning. So, you (the general you) could live in a great apartment / house / condo and be next door to a trashy automotive shop.

There is a web site that you can use to check out property in and around Houston, www.har.com, but like I said, before you commit to anything go see it first.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I love Houston, but there never really was or is any true urban planning and there is no zoning. So, you (the general you) could live in a great apartment / house / condo and be next door to a trashy automotive shop

There is a web site that you can use to check out property in and around Houston, www.har.com, but like I said, before you commit to anything go see it first.
That was the strangest thing I'd ever seen
Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I love Houston, but there never really was or is any true urban planning and there is no zoning. So, you (the general you) could live in a great apartment / house / condo and be next door to a trashy automotive shop.

I checked this site out a while back, maybe I will check it out again. Thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I just moved to Houston about 3 wks ago. You have a job, so that's one thing out of the way. Like everyone else says, calm down. If you really want help with an apartment, you can always try a locator. www.houston.craigslist.com or www.thegreensheet.com. I also found this one http://houston1apartments.com/ helpful, but the natives will know more.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovemyAKA View Post
I just moved to Houston about 3 wks ago. You have a job, so that's one thing out of the way. Like everyone else says, calm down. If you really want help with an apartment, you can always try a locator. www.houston.craigslist.com or www.thegreensheet.com. I also found this one http://houston1apartments.com/ helpful, but the natives will know more.
Thanks I really appreciate all of the help. I have tried 4 different apartment locators. They all gave me good info. but some of the places were either in bad areas, looked totally different from the way they were presented on the website, or was just too expensive. Those are the problems that I have been having.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks I really appreciate all of the help. I have tried 4 different apartment locators. They all gave me good info. but some of the places were either in bad areas, looked totally different from the way they were presented on the website, or was just too expensive. Those are the problems that I have been having.
Go to www.har.com and find a realtor and tell them the area, price you want
Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm curious as to what makes an area bad. Is it the presumed crime? The distance from your job? Because Houston is a very "industrial" looking city but there aren't a lot of areas I would consider to be "bad."

I Stay Woke!!