Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,511
1 members and 1,510 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
I just noticed that one thing that has been overlooked in this thread is that we all automatically think Greek = Social GLO. I know it is a pretty common subconscious mistake to make but we can't accuse the OP of being non-Greek.

However the criticism that she does not know what goes on within NPC (and NIC) orgs still stands.
It's a matter of lanes. She's in one lane commenting on another.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That's a well known way of saying, "I'm too good for them."
ok I'm going to go on the defense here. I didn't accept a bid to that same house because I didn't connect with the girls. I don't think I'm too good for them. There are some other houses where I probably wouldn't have accepted a bid because I didn't click with the girls in the "middle tier" and "top tier." I'm not a fan of the ranking/tiering system at all, but objectively speaking, it does exist. The fact that I didn't click with girls in some houses doesn't mean I think I'm too good for any of them, though.

And I'm sorry for equating Greek and PHC/IFC sororities & fraternities. That's definitely a misconception that exists here, and I feel bad about perpetuating it. It just seemed easier to say "Greek" rather than "PHC/IFC organizations."
Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeb View Post
And I'm sorry for equating Greek and PHC/IFC sororities & fraternities. That's definitely a misconception that exists here, and I feel bad about perpetuating it. It just seemed easier to say "Greek" rather than "PHC/IFC organizations."
It wasn't a specific criticism of you. I am just as guilty of it. I was merely pointing out that she was actually Greek.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM

The point is if she was THAT heinously uncomfy, she shouldn't have put them on the freakin' bid card. Once you sign that, in for a buck, in for a quarter. You might as well go to bid day and see if maybe the women are different once they exhale.

And again: not clueless freshman. Re-rushing sophomore.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

As I said, Panhellenic didn't do a good job of informing girls about what to do with their bid cards. I think she probably should have suicided, an opinion that I know is pretty unpopular on here, but whatever. I think she should have. And I don't think she was re-rushing, I think she was rushing for the first time.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
As I said, Panhellenic didn't do a good job of informing girls about what to do with their bid cards. I think she probably should have suicided, an opinion that I know is pretty unpopular on here, but whatever. I think she should have. And I don't think she was re-rushing, I think she was rushing for the first time.
A Mad Men re-rushing story
Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm confused. Did the OP make a sock to help stick up for her? It appears that way because I don't quite know why a member of the Greek system at USC would sit here, along with the OP, and agree that the Greeks are horrendous at USC. What? Are Kaeb and the OP besties, roomies, something?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

As an alum of SC with a daughter who is in a house I would like to make a few comments. As I noted upfront (save for the new info that there may, in fact be a colony in a few years) it seemed very unlikely that a new house would come on the row with one girl's say so. I also said that the OP was wanted in the house where she received a bid, despite her misgivings about being wanted for her, not as a number.

What many people outside SC do not realize is that our recruitment is a very different animal. We are as competitive as the SEC (well, almost) but our girls are not generally rooted in Greek traditions. It is HIGHLY likely that 50 % of our pnms are non Greek. As I have stated, we do not have a network that gives pnms the 411 on recruitment. Many girls are really out of the loop. My older daughter LISTENED to her rho chi (and the official panhellenic line) about going to class. It was ok...provided you gave a copy of your schedule blah blah.....No, it wasn't ok. She was summarily dropped from all the houses that she would have seen on night one. It was no a coincidence. Had she known that I know now, she would have had a far better outcome. The whole Row knew my daughter as the girl who went to class rather than recruitment.

My second benefitted greatly from the information that I garnered from GC. Yet, she wasn't clear about ranking houses and what it meant. I told her, her rho chi gave her different information. I, thanks to you, was correct.

I do not know Kaeb or SC2013. They may or may not know each other, although Kaeb said she "knows" SC2013 and says she is nice. But I have no doubt, based on what my daughter mentioned to me, that she might have been given incorrect information.

.........the stuff about not living up to their mottos whatever.....you know the term deflection? The real issue has become what was she told/when and how and the disappointment, and to that I can address the issue. She probably didn't know.

Last edited by ellebud; 04-14-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

wow.

I'm not SC2013's sock puppet account. I met her while rushing her professional fraternity. We have a few mutual friends, but I don't know her very well. Also, we had different recruitments, and both posted pretty detailed recruitment stories, so I don't know why you think I'm her sock puppet account. I'm my own person with my own brain and my own life and I'm also in a PHC sorority, as I've established many, many times.

Here's my recruitment story if you still don't believe me for some reason: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115609
Also, I joined in July 2010, she joined in December 2010... kind of weird timing for me to be her sock puppet, huh?

I'm not agreeing that the Greeks are horrendous at USC. I'm a Greek myself. I am saying that we have image problems, and that people, particularly non-PHC/IFC people, don't have a great image of us. It's easy to automatically associate PHC/IFC with all of the scandals that have happened recently, since they've gotten a lot of attention, not just on campus, but even nationally. I'm saying that I get where she's coming from, unlike most people (or so it seems). I also think that if she were in a PHC house, she would have a different perspective, but I get why she has the perspective she does.

I feel like a broken record here.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that she re-rushed. My apologies.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm saying that I get where she's coming from, unlike most people (or so it seems). I also think that if she were in a PHC house, she would have a different perspective, but I get why she has the perspective she does.

I feel like a broken record here.
We do get it. Your school really isn't that unique. I don't know of a single big Greek competitive school where the non-Greeks don't loathe the Greeks and take every opportunity to kick them.

The OP had a friend in the chapter who gave her a bid, someone she felt close enough to confide in that she wanted them to drop her. That tells me she had something in common with sisters in that chapter because her friend does. Among other things, they probably aren't great rushers. (Who would be if you're the chapter where people would rather gouge their eyes out instead of joining?)

The OP may have only considered herself a number on Alpha Chi's bid list, but you know what? If that chapter had dropped her before pref, she would have just been a number on the chapter she wanted's bid list. Because she wasn't high enough on their first bid list to receive a bid without guaranteed placement. There were more pnms they wanted more than they wanted her. Harsh but true.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Your school really isn't that unique. I don't know of a single big Greek competitive school where the non-Greeks don't loathe the Greeks and take every opportunity to kick them.
I know it is pretty common for non-Greeks and some administrations, to take a stab at the Greek community whenever there is an opportunity to.

The big problem with the current situation at USC, which I think makes it unique, is that this time, outsiders of our community can cite two incidents that made international news, within a month.

And as a result the administration has put the whole Row on social probation for bringing the school into disrepute.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
I know it is pretty common for non-Greeks and some administrations, to take a stab at the Greek community whenever there is an opportunity to.

The big problem with the current situation at USC, which I think makes it unique, is that this time, outsiders of our community can cite two incidents that made international news, within a month.

And as a result the administration has put the whole Row on social probation for bringing the school into disrepute.
Apparently you've never experienced things like pledges dying.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Really really that was an uncalled for snide remark. Thank God the reason for the social probation had NOTHING to do with a child dying. A death in any family, much less the death of a child is horrendous.

While I am not "sure" what the first issue was (but it did not, to my knowledge include death or nearly dying), I know that the second had to do with a lapse of judgement, morals and invasions of privacy. The incident did not prove fatal to anyone other than their reputations.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No I haven't. But I have had to deal with a friend who was run over by a drunk driver in an incident that is almost too horrific to remember.

And that time it showed how close our community was. We stood together, went to city hall, and got the reward money raised for information that lead to the arrest of the driver and the passenger (who stopped to pull off the body of another victim, who thankfully didn't die, and just left him on the side of the road as they drove off).

But I didn't bring it up because it was an awful experience, and it would not have been classy.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
Really really that was an uncalled for snide remark. Thank God the reason for the social probation had NOTHING to do with a child dying. A death in any family, much less the death of a child is horrendous.

While I am not "sure" what the first issue was (but it did not, to my knowledge include death or nearly dying), I know that the second had to do with a lapse of judgement, morals and invasions of privacy. The incident did not prove fatal to anyone other than their reputations.
That was my point. Having experienced that horrible and avoidable situation on a campus and the aftermath, I find these 'but you don't understand' posts ridiculous.