GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,356
0 members and 1,356 guests
No Members online

Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
LOCAL ATTORNEY APPOINTED TO FLORIDA BOARD OF BAR EXAMINERS

By Antoine Davis
Sentinel Staff Writer

The Florida Board of Bar Examiners has a new member. Carolyn House
Stewart has been a lawyer since 1978. She found out late last month
that she would be one of the 12 lawyers on the board.

Stewart is an attorney and shareholder with Macfarlane Ferguson &
McMullen. She received the highest rating available from
Martindale-Hubbell, a rating system that evaluates lawyers in the U.S.
and Canada based on peer review.

The Florida Board of Bar Examiners handles matters of bar admission,
and
helps make sure that people who pass the Florida Bar are competent in
the field of law.

"I'm pleased to be appointed to a position like this. It really is an
honor, and I understand that it also holds a lot of responsibility,"
said Stewart. "I just want to serve this position well, and make sure
the standards are applied so that everyone is given the same
opportunities."

Stewart will serve a five-year tenure on the Florida Board of Bar
Examiners, and have input on topics that include passing rate for the
Florida Bar Examination, and any grievances that may arise among
lawyers
seeking to pass the bar.

"All applicants should have the same opportunities, minorities
included," Stewart said. "Passing the bar has been a difficult thing
for many people, and we want everyone to have the same benefits when
going through tis process of passing the Bar."

Stewart is a life member with the NAACP, and the National Secretary for
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., and a member of the Board of Trustees
with Allen Temple AME Church.

"This is a position of trust, and I will not take it lightly," said
Stewart. "I have been chosen to serve, and I"m going to do that to the
best of my ability."

This soror knows how to throw a great shin-ding @ the conferences. I can't wait until she....
She is our (mine and LitAKAtor) chapter soror. She is my fav. She recently helped me get an interview at her law firm eventhough their hiring season was long over. I look up to her so much as an attorney, a classy sophisticated black woman and as a soror. I want to be just like her when I get bigger (as my Kelyce says).
Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
She is our (mine and LitAKAtor) chapter soror. She is my fav. She recently helped me get an interview at her law firm eventhough their hiring season was long over. I look up to her so much as an attorney, a classy sophisticated black woman and as a soror. I want to be just like her when I get bigger (as my Kelyce says).

I didn't realize Soror Carolyn got appointed!! THAT IS GREAT!! I must send her a congutulatory note! As an aside - her daughter is now a Soror initiated at Mu Pi at Spelman in February.

I agree - I think her and Soror Barbara are awesome examples of how to maintain every sector of your life - personal, professional and sororital!!
"life is a beautiful journey"
Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by litAKAtor
I didn't realize Soror Carolyn got appointed!! THAT IS GREAT!! I must send her a congutulatory note! As an aside - her daughter is now a Soror initiated at Mu Pi at Spelman in February.

I agree - I think her and Soror Barbara are awesome examples of how to maintain every sector of your life - personal, professional and sororital!!
OH Wow! I didn't know Delsha crossed! That's great. We are trying to get her into the Summer for Undergraduate program here at FSU COL. Yes, Soror Barbara Twine Thomas is awesome too.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Just wanted to pass along

Maya Angelou Presents Scholarships To 10 Students

Maya Angelou Presents Scholarships To 10 Students

By Jill Zeman
The Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK (AP) - Poet and novelist Maya Angelou, who grew up in the small town of Stamps, told 10 young scholarship winners they were "the hope for their families...the world" as she presented their awards to them.

Wearing a Clinton Presidential Center neck scarf emblazoned with the word "Hope," Angelou told the students at a ceremony at the center "you can achieve more than you can imagine because you have rainbows in your clouds."

The college students each won $4,000 in an essay contest, sponsored by Little Rock-based Alltel Corp. The contest asked students at historically black colleges and universities to answer the question: "What words of wisdom will you pass on to those who come after you?"

Angelou said she read each of the winning essays five times.

"I know you very well, and I know you need a good English teacher," she told the winners, drawing laughs from the audience.

In seriousness, she told them they were "the hope for their families, neighborhoods, cities and towns, their states, country and the world."

Student Antoine Marshall, who attends Claflin University in Orangeburg, S.C., wrote in his essay that people must always remember where they come from.

"That severed line to the past is a problem that plagues the youth of many African-American communities," Marshall wrote. "The knowledge that someone gave their life so that I could have things they never had keeps me from taking for granted those experiences, be it a drink from a water fountain or a chance to go to college."

The contest drew 460 entries from students throughout the country, and was judged by educators, Alltel officials and other business representatives.

Ashley Jackson, a student at Tougaloo College in Jackson, Miss., wrote about the death of her mother, who was killed by Jackson's father.

"My purpose in life is to live and be an example for others that no matter how bad things in life may seem, there will always be a brighter side to every situation."

Other winners and their schools were: Karah Bailey, Florida A&M University in Tallahassee; Deirdra Beatty, Fayetteville State University in North Carolina; Britani Childs, Hampton University in Virginia; Shondolyn Galloway, North Carolina Central University in Durham, N.C.; Dionne Gilchrist, Norfolk State University in Virginia; Lawrence Henry, Xavier University in New Orleans; Tiffany Henry, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff; and Candace Moore, Virginia Union University in Richmond.

The students also received an autographed copy of the poet's book, "Amazing Peace." At Clinton's 1993 nationally televised inaugural ceremony, Angelou recited a poem she wrote for the occasion. Clinton also is from Arkansas.

In addition, Alltel sponsored a contest for its employees. Workers participated in a 160-character text-message essay competition. Among the five winners was Angela Watson of Little Rock, who wrote: "Remember to learn something everywhere you go, even if it's just not to go there again."
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to Soror Carolyn!!

I echo those sentiments. I got to speak with her at a sorority event when I lived in Chicago and she is so warm and was very young at heart and down-to-earth. I loved speaking with her. I look up to Soror Carolyn as a fellow attorney as well.

SC

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
Old 04-18-2006, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My former chapter member and her family are featured in Essence (May) magazine. Soror Aguillard and her family relocated to Lafayette, LA (and to transferred to the graduate chapter in Lafayette) after the storm.

Look out for their story in Essence.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I happened upon her doing a general web search. Soror is on the MOVE!! Presenting: Dr Karla FC Holloway!

http://wings.buffalo.edu/uncrownedqu...oway_karla.htm

She is inspiring!

enigma_AKA
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up "AT" Holding it D-O-W-N!

Spring Elections 2006- Grambling State:

Soror Alexier Barbour (Fall 05) was elected SGA President Soror Krystal Franklin elected SGA Secretary
Soror Whitney Moore-White was elected Junior Class President.

*Soror Charisma Sweat is Miss GSU for 2006-2007!!!.

*Her aunt (former Miss GSU) was one of our neos in '93.
<--- (becoming seasoned by the second)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Giving Props

Hello all,

Recently I started a new job. And went thru the usually first day round of intros. Well one of my colleagues really stood out, due to her presence. You just know she has her "ish" together. I should add her position is one that directly impacts our branches profit. Anyways a day or two later sistah came to work sporting an AKA rain jacket. So i hand you props today. Your sorority is well represented where I work.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
Re: "AT" Holding it D-O-W-N!

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

Soror Alexier Barbour (Fall 05) was elected SGA President Soror Krystal Franklin elected SGA Secretary

It just so happens that two Beta Psi Sorors were in the runoff.

PHOTO BY JOSHUA L. HALLEY | DIGEST Junior Shakeila L. Sweazie won the position of Miss Southern University 2006-2007 by 394 votes over junior Tiffany Minor in last week’s SGA Elections. Sweazie’s vision for Southern University is to take the institution and it’s students to higher heights.

Miss Southern wins by more than 350 votes, Armah takes over SGA top spot
BY MYLES MINIX
April 18, 2006

Last Wednesday, Student Government Association Elections Commissioner Kerri Harris announced, outside the Cotillion Ballroom of the Smith-Brown Memorial Union, Niiobli Armah as president elect of the SGA with 843 votes in the runoff election and Shakelia Sweazie as Miss Southern University elect with 934 votes in the runoff.
“I was ecstatic, it was like a sudden rush of glory to the head,” Armah said. “It was my happiest moment and my saddest because I knew what lied ahead of me. Winning was the easy part.”
Armah said while he never doubted himself or his ability to win, running against an incumbent wasn’t an easy task.
“Going into the race I felt that I was starting off in the negative,” Armah said. “Justin and I were running the same race and I felt like Justin started five yards a head of me so I had to keep asking my self what I could do to make it a level playing field.”
Armah said he prefers having the people who doubted his capabilities around because they provide him with inspiration to do better.

PHOTO BY CLARISSA GRANGER | DIGEST NIiobli Armah IV invites several students near the Smith-Brown Memorial Union to join in on his celebration after being elected as SGA President last Wednesday evening.
“I don’t look at the haters, I look past them,” Armah said. “There is nothing anyone can do to take my heart off my goals. I want them to be around. It’s motivation to keep me on my toes. I’m looking forward to making a change because I refuse to leave SGA the way I found it.”
Armah expressed his gratitude to everyone who assisted his campaign as well as everyone who voted to elect him.
“I want to personally thank each and every person that came out and voted for me because I don’t take it lightly that I didn’t put myself in office,” he said. “My campaign team and the students put me in office and I hold that to a higher esteem. The students have spoken and now I have to answer to them.”
For Shakelia Sweazie, winning the title of Miss Southern was all about destiny and faith.
“I was excited and blessed,” Sweazie said. “My faith kept me going.”
Sweazie said though she had really good competition, she was convinced this was her time to shine and with hard work and faith she made her dream a reality.
The newly elected officials will be sworn in on April 25 at 8:00 p.m. in the Cotillion Ballroom.
“The real work starts now,” Armah said.

http://www.southerndigest.com/vnews/.../4445289bb0680

Soror I guess we are holding both campuses down!!! LOL

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

ttt
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEEphistAKAte
(In case you hadn't heard) Carolyn House Stewart has been elected, First Vice President of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority, Inc.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91

Question, do you know Dawn Offutt? She was a Delta at GSU in spring 90. She's a chapter soror of mine here in the alumnae chapter.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember her. She was nearly graduating when I came to GSU Summer 90. At one time, I heard she was in Baton Rouge. This was in the late 90s.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

now she's in Lexington, KY (her family lives there) and works for the state. Small world