GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 976
0 members and 976 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

There are some Greek Wiccans out there, even at good ol' Auburn because recently, a mom whose daughter went bidless said that her daughter was saying in tears, "Even the Wiccans got bids!"
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
But was she a good witch....or a bad witch?
Oz flashback, HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4Me View Post
Rosebud, I suggest that you delete your posts and start over with this forum. Without intending to offend, you have indeed offended. Your last post was more offensive to me than your first. It is unacceptable to post a picture of a person to explain why you thought a PNM's eyewear was inappropriate for your party. For the record, I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted. They would not be the type I would choose for myself, but if someone else likes them, that's her (or his) choice.

For your sake, I hope that you are never diagnosed with an eye condition not correctable by contacts or surgery. I don't know how you would manage.

If you are new to greekchat, you might find it helpful to lurk a bit before posti more.
Deleted the glasses part. Don't want to start off on the wrong foot.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And archetypes are archetypes.
Truth. I've noticed fantasy/paranormal literature often quotes the Bible because the imagery works for their purposes just as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Well, rather than allowing a girl who had gotten lost to make her way safely home, the witch hid information from her forcing her to travel a long way almost getting herself and her dog killed several times. I dunno, good witch or bad witch?
How else were they supposed to beat the morality into us if she would have just told ol' Dot in the first place?

There's no place like home.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Well, rather than allowing a girl who had gotten lost to make her way safely home, the witch hid information from her forcing her to travel a long way almost getting herself and her dog killed several times. I dunno, good witch or bad witch?
There you go relying on the movie. Much as I like the movie, it really messed up the story.

In the (superior) book, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South, and Dororthy doesn't encounter her until the end of the book. The Good Witch of the North doesn't know the power of the silver shoes (not ruby slippers); she tells Dorothy that "there is some charm connected with them, but what it is we never knew." She does, however, kiss Dorothy on the forehead, leaving a mark that protects her on her travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
How else were they supposed to beat the morality into us if she would have just told ol' Dot in the first place?

There's no place like home.
Well, remember the conceit of the movie -- that the whole thing is a dream (which really bugs me) -- and notice that Glinda is the only major character in Oz who doesn't have a counterpart in Kansas. Glinda, who says "you've had the power all along" pretty much is Dorothy, or at least something of a psychological archetype for her.

And yeah, I know I'm preaching to the daughter of the choir on this one.

So, he asked, trying to get the thread back on topic . . . Oz-themed rush parties with weird stories?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
There are some Greek Wiccans out there, even at good ol' Auburn because recently, a mom whose daughter went bidless said that her daughter was saying in tears, "Even the Wiccans got bids!"
Are there any of the NIC, NPC or NPHC F&S where a Wiccan could *not* get a bid according to their National bylaws? I don't know whether a GLO that requires a "belief in God" would have to accept someone who is Wicca by that standard.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
So, he asked, trying to get the thread back on topic . . . Oz-themed rush parties with weird stories?
Well when you go with "Oz-themed", the original book, the movie or maybe Wicked? There are a couple of songs from Wicked that might actually work well during rush, including "What is this Feeling" and "For Good".

"..whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend."
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Are there any of the NIC, NPC or NPHC F&S where a Wiccan could *not* get a bid according to their National bylaws? I don't know whether a GLO that requires a "belief in God" would have to accept someone who is Wicca by that standard.
Wicca is duotheistic; its practitioners do believe in gods. We had a practicing Wiccan in our chapter in the mid-70s. She rushed at the same time I did, so I don't know if she was the "weird rushee" or not, but she's my sister.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NPC does not require any profession of faith or exclusion of a faith. Theists, agnostics, athiests and everyone else is welcome. Although nearly all of the organizations initially discriminated on the basis of religion; this is no longer the case. There are non-NPC sororities, namely ones that classify themselves as Christian sororities, that require profession of faith in Christ. But not NPC.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well when you go with "Oz-themed", the original book, the movie or maybe Wicked? There are a couple of songs from Wicked that might actually work well during rush, including "What is this Feeling" and "For Good".

"..whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend."
"Home" from "The Wiz" could work for rush.

Home
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOcarnation View Post
I refuse to take the glasses comment seriously. Hipster glasses are all the rage here on the West Coast.
Although as someone who hated wearing glasses when she was younger, I think I have to agree with George Costanza that someone wearing them when they don't need them is like someone who uses a wheelchair for fun. (He was talking about guys with full heads of hair shaving their heads, but same principle.)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Slippery

I had a funny situation when I was a Junior. I met my rushee at the front door of our house tour round, and I noticed as I led her inside that she was holding onto furniture, walls etc. as we were walking. I was worried that she was injured, dizzy or even drunk! We headed for the stairs, and at the foot of the stairs she finally admitted that she had put deoderant on the soles of her feet and she was slipping around too much in her slick flip flops to safely make it up the stairs! I told her to slip them off and just carry them....no big deal! She looked so relieved, and was actually adorable! She wound up pledging our house and was good-naturedly teased for the rest of her college career
Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCalum View Post
I had a funny situation when I was a Junior. I met my rushee at the front door of our house tour round, and I noticed as I led her inside that she was holding onto furniture, walls etc. as we were walking. I was worried that she was injured, dizzy or even drunk! We headed for the stairs, and at the foot of the stairs she finally admitted that she had put deoderant on the soles of her feet and she was slipping around too much in her slick flip flops to safely make it up the stairs! I told her to slip them off and just carry them....no big deal! She looked so relieved, and was actually adorable! She wound up pledging our house and was good-naturedly teased for the rest of her college career
Given the walking done as part of some of the rush nights and the dress shoes that might be worn, I'm surprised removing shoes don't happen more often!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Bumping this--maybe we'll get some more stories this year!