Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,607
2 members and 1,605 guests
shadokat

Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Would your reaction have been the same had he been labeled as a little first grade gangbanger
Now that I'd like to see.

I'm still on post 40, it's going to take a while to catch up - but I can already see CRAZY EYES in this thread - Where's that popcorn??
Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post

I'm still on post 40, it's going to take a while to catch up - but I can already see CRAZY EYES in this thread - Where's that popcorn??
Popping some now ...will that be butter or kettle corn?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
why didn't his MOTHER advise him not to take the utensil to school and check to make sure he didn't?
Maybe she packed it in his little Spiderman lunchbox for him, because she would NEVER in a million years think that little fork,knife, spoon contraption could be considered a weapon.

I know Texas tends to lead the crazy train, but at least the legislature here realized that CONTEXT is important and should be considered before shipping 6 year olds off to District Alternative Education Centers!!!

They also decided that site administrators have the intelligence to make sound judgements based on circumstances... Who knew?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
What should happen (in my view):

Teacher sees kid with knife. Teacher asks him about it. He tells her he just joined Cub Scouts and it's his new knife from his mess kit. Teacher says, "I know you're excited and I'm glad for you, but you know it's against the rules to bring a knife to school. I'm going to need to take it for now; it will be in the office. Your parents can pick it up there. Please remember not to bring knives to school again. Thanks." (Can't give it back to him in case he rides a bus or something.) When the parents pick it up, they are reminded, nicely, that son can't be bringing knives to school. Done.
Yes, this is the answer.

In this particular case, the boy had no intention of bringing a "weapon" to school. He had never been told it was a "weapon", it was just a nifty eating gadget.

Intention should be taken into consideration.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Right. That's why I said "typically." though perhaps I could have chosen a better word. In my experience, Bear is when a den will do it -- often as the first step toward Bear ("yay, we're old enough to use knives now"). But you're right, it can be earned at any stage.

I'm pretty sure that since this guy had just joined, though, he hadn't earned it yet.
No, you're good. It is a tradition in our Unit that Bears earn it so that is "typical" for us too. I also agree with you that the Scout in question had probably not earned it yet.

Quote:
Yours too, huh?
Yeah that was a shining moment until our guest speaker, a Master Decoy Carver, cut himself a few minutes later.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh I dunno, maybe because 7 or 8 of us agree and she is the odd one out and we won't let her have the last word...so why don't we all shut up and let her so she has something to feel good about today, hmmm?
I didn't get the memo until too late...

I'll take butter though, THANKS!!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
And I think that's what I was trying to say earlier. We don't know if that didn't happen the first two or three times this kid took the knife to school. We have no way of knowing whether this is a pattern for this kid...
Right, so until we have reason to believe this is a pattern for this kid, we will keep saying they should've given a warning first.

It's interesting when the traditionally understood concept of "well, we don't know the complete story" becomes overstated, even to the point where people (not you) feel all opinions are unjustified and the discussion should cease.

Last edited by DrPhil; 10-15-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I was a little concerned about the kid's own statement "It's a dumb rule" because I'm wondering if he thinks it is dumb to ban knives from school or if he thinks it is dumb to be expelled/suspended for doing so.
He has been led to believe by his mother that he should speak out against the rule because it is wrong based on the punishment. That's probably why he said that.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
What part are you having trouble with?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Woman please...nobody pitched a fit except you.

Because you think everyone on GC has an agenda towards you...

And after reading your last post...well throwing spitballs against a brick wall explaining why your opinions are fails per each post is useless, so let's K.I.M.

Oh I dunno, maybe because 7 or 8 of us agree and she is the odd one out and we won't let her have the last word...so why don't we all shut up and let her so she has something to feel good about today, hmmm?
I don't care about being the odd one out because in the grand scheme of things I have found that most of the opinions of the same few who always disagree with me are not based in reality or actual knowledge. Periodically I talk to different people about the things said here on GC in response to various issues. Overwhelmingly I have found that most people I talk to think the opinions of those 7 or 8 are off base. And the people I talk to have no qualms about telling me if they disagree with me.

So I wear it as a badge of honor that I'm "the odd one out" on this issue because your ideas about how schools should handle this type of situation are beyond absurd. Not only do they show a lack of knowledge, and a willingness to disregard rules, but also they show a lack of concern for the welfare of other students in general.

Oh and you might want to lose the generalizations. I never said EVERYONE on GC has an agenda against me. It is just the same few that try to raise hell in every thread.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
1. Shut up.
2. Do you know how ironic this is? As with every other thread you participate in, things are cool until you get butthurt and annoying. You're much more stupiderererer than any other GC thread hijacker. LOL.
No, the problem is that you and a few others were just determined from the beginning since you decided you didn't like me for whatever stupid reason, that you were going to attack everything I have to say. What is stupid is your level of pettiness and inability to have a discussion with those you may disagree with. Moreover, even if you agree, you still HAVE to find something snarky to say. Get over yourself. You're not nearly as brilliant as you think, not to mention the fact that your S/RH issues are blindingly obvious.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
You're psycho.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
A knife is a knife. Either one can inflict injury. It is a slippery slope indeed to try and have different ways of handling a weapon based whether a person thinks one weapon is not as big as the other or some other such foolishness.
I thought he was making a Crocodile Dundee joke, and not really trying to define what a knife was in this context.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I thought he was making a Crocodile Dundee joke, and not really trying to define what a knife was in this context.
Now, that would make too much sense, wouldn't it?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Now, that would make too much sense, wouldn't it?
Well I try not to judge other people's knowledge of pop culture, but I am a little freaked out that this is the third time since Monday Paul Hogan has shown up in my life.