GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,167
0 members and 1,167 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2006, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
I believe it's ladygreek's fault.
Sorry, I was editing my thoughts when you replied!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
You mean 1912, right?

Nope. 1908. I know what I meant!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Attention whoredom at its finest.

Just.Dayum.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
This thread is just UNBELIEVABLE! How did it come to this?!?!?!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
Money lost will never be on the same scale as lives lost no matter who has or did not have a part in it. Money can be replaced. Lives can't.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
No love lost.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
But sometimes you DO know--or at least sometimes I know--I won't speak for you. Sometimes you know because people tell you--or tell someone else and you over hear them.

And I'm sorry, but I don't know of any charitable organizations that are giving out hair weave and matching T-shirts to go on a TV show and even if they are, it is about PRIORITIES. Speaking of homegirl on American Idol, the first thought in my mind when I saw her was "why didn't y'all use all the money it took you to get there/buy them tshirts to pay the rent??"

To the orginal poster, there was another thread about being embarassed by folks. Sounds like your post was in line with that. The link is http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ight=embarrass
ok Eclipse DON'T play, because when we were collecting items for Hurricane Katrina victims, one chick DID bring in hair weave. Her reasoning was, when she saw them on tv she said they look awful, and should be mindful of their appearance, so she bought some hair weave to help some sistas out!! and it wasn't like black or brown, it was platinum blonde and red etc. smh
Old 02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
You don't?

AKA= Historically Black Sorority
ZPB= Historically Black Sorority
(That should be enough, but I'll continue)

Events: Yes, they were different, but both groups experienced/are experiencing events where no group is exempt.

Crisis that affected the organization's existence: AKA-lawsuit due to hazing (National officers were not aware of the issue); Zeta: International President allegedly mismanaging funds and the Executive Committee being complicit- FBI involved;

Both events/crisis SHOULD (have) garner(ed) support from the greek community.

Again, it is okay if Greek unity, support, sympathy, or empathy is conditional.... where unity is based on the nature of the events. I applaud you DSTChaos for feeling that way. At least, you were honest.

Not only here on GC, but all over the net AKA was in the spotlight, discussed, criticized, there was an opinion etc. Now, everyone wants to sweep the latest incident under the rug, so to speak. Suddenly, no one has an opinion.

I don't expect anyone who was not a member of AKA or any GLO during the time of the lawsuit to understand the concern, nor do I expect other members of the D9 to understand. I don't know what it's like to have my International President being investigated for misamangement of funds. However, I can empathize and still wish the members of Zeta well as they deal with this unprecedented (public) dilemma. Again, AKA got through it without support, and the members of Zeta will get through it with support.

As a reminder, here is the thread that was started in this forum (it was eventually moved to the AKA forum in 2005 and I closed it in 2005... )
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...light=drowning

You can see that greeks and non-greeks came out in droves to say NOTHING about the unprecedented incident and rallied support around the members as we dealt with the situation. I can count the number of PMs I received telling me that "AKA was stellar" and we would "handle this with grace and dignity"...yeah right!

I just thought about something...AKA hasn't been supported since 1908, so I should know better than to expect any support nearly 100 years later. (slapping myself on the wrist)

Greek unity... gotta LOVE it!
ok, since you like to compare, let's do another comparison

aka event/crisis outcome = DEATH
Zeta event/crisis outcome= Financial issues

Death = irreversible [and orphaned children]
Financial issues= a pain and upsetting, but we'll get over it

Crisis that threatened existence:
aka = DEATH during a hazing incident
Zeta= credit card holder run amuck

What the events SHOULD have garnered:
contingent on the individual. Why should anyone be coerced to stand behind another organization when there is a mess up. I don't suggest speaking out against them, but heck, even if a family member of mine KILLED someone, or STOLE some money, I'm not going to stand behind them blindly. BUT I wouldn't snitch them out to the police either! But there can NOT be an expectation of an outpour of support. I personally feel as though in the grand scheme of thing, these major issues make ALL Blacks look bad, greek or non greek! No it's not right that when one or only a few members of organizations do these things people generalize it to the entire organization, but get over it, such is life! As Blacks we're stereotyped all the time, and women, and college students etc. We just choose to embrace some of these stereotypes regardless of the merit they may [not] hold. For instance, since we're speaking on aka's anyway, the stereotype about aka's being prissy, pretty, snobbish and all that other stuff is self-perpetuated. I don't hear anyone complaining about those!

Discussion all over the internet:

ALL Greeks are discussed ALL over the internet. I can recall having visited some threads where it's like a Delta bash, some where it's a Zeta Bash, some where it's an aka bash etc. by many other greeks. And guess what... WHO CARES?! If people feel the need to discuss DST in a negative light, I'll say what I'd like, if I choose to speak on the issue at all, and be done with it. I'm not losing any sleep over other greeks not supporting DST, and you shouldn't over greeks not supporting aka.

aka support:

please see above! Also, since people haven't been supporting since 1908, and you shouldn't have expected support, then why the long response questioning why there's no support for aka?....especially if there was no expectation for it anyway!?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DST_philoso4
ok Eclipse DON'T play, because when we were collecting items for Hurricane Katrina victims, one chick DID bring in hair weave. Her reasoning was, when she saw them on tv she said they look awful, and should be mindful of their appearance, so she bought some hair weave to help some sistas out!! and it wasn't like black or brown, it was platinum blonde and red etc. smh
You know what, you are right. From now on I will assume that people on welfare, asking for handouts, etc. get their weave donated. Thank you so much for enlightening me! Please tell me where this wonderful donated weave is given out so that when I see someone looked busted about the head I can refer them to you.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You know what, you are right. From now on I will assume that people on welfare, asking for handouts, etc. get their weave donated. Thank you so much for enlightening me! Please tell me where this wonderful donated weave is given out so that when I see someone looked busted about the head I can refer them to you.
ROFL
Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Damn@folks wanting people to look any kind of way, just because they are experiencing hard times.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you all still debating about poor people with wigs?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
I believe it's ladygreek's fault.
Dang, I just got back into town and I am being blamed.

On another note, the Zetas for the most part have stayed out of the internet discussions, thus garnering respect for doing so.

After the AKA incident, many AKAs joined the discussion and blamed the victims. I think that is what turned some people off and diminished the nature of the support.

In any case the main similarity I see in both is that individuals were involved, thus the situations such not reflect the whole organization. That was my stance then and it is my stance now. But clearly one situation was much more serious than the other.

BTW, the not being supported since 1908 comment--
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!