GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,483
0 members and 1,483 guests
No Members online

Old 11-12-2001, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Late to the party, but ErikaXO I happen to agree with you 100%.
Too bad some just don't recognize when enough is enough-take it to another level leading to someone getting hurt. There was so much positive from many of the exercises, but the brutal, physical stuff, alcohol and activities interfering with grades spoiled it for everyone- including the pledges.
Old 11-12-2001, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
Erika
I agree.
Hazing is bad.
Fun is Good.

Annoying people saying that fun things that pledges have to do constitute hazing....well these people suck.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 11-12-2001, 10:53 PM

Thanks Mom and Sig.....you know the more I think about this the madder I get. It is another symptom of a greater problem.....the "taking it to the extreme" syndrome. Next thing you know, somebody is going to actually try and claim harrassment or "hazing" of some sort by their professor for MAKING them do a 30 page paper.....as a matter of fact my mother was an English professor at an area university and she had a student who habitually had "car trouble" whenever she had an assignment due and didn't show up with it. After two or three times of this my mom finally told the girl she wasn't going to accept her paper. Well this little b!*@# told my mom she'd be hearing from her daddy, and ran home and raised you-know-what. Next thing you know, daddy calls up and reams out the department head, who calls my mom in and tells her she HAS to accept the paper, and she can't take off at all for it being late. What total BS. It's all about taking personal responsibility. Of course we all know the girl was totally lying about her car trouble, she was just lazy and didn't do her work on time. But even if it had been true, ok fine maybe once or twice. But after that you take responsibility for the fact that you need to find a reliable mode of transportation to class, be it catching a ride with someone else, taking a bus, walking, or maybe even trading in the junk heap for a car that drives!!!! But nooooo, whine and cry about it enough and it'll be taken care of for you. What's she going to do when "car trouble" is keeping her from getting to work? Her boss isn't going to even TALK to Daddy, the boss is just going to fire her!!!!

It's no different in a lot of these greek situations. A lot of these hazing rules came down not so much because all of these things which have been banned are really hazing.....it is a matter of people trying to cover themselves in a litigation-crazed world. Take the case that occurred at Kent a while back. At an event that involved a number of chapters (I believe it may have been Greek Week Greek games) a bunch of guys from a fraternity were jumping into a mud pit for fun. One of the younger guys (he may have been a pledge) decided to join them and dove in headfirst....well he ended up landing wrong and broke his neck.....his parents ended up trying to sue the fraternity, the other fraternities and sororities "involved" (anyone who was at the event) AND the university. I'm pretty sure it got dropped (something about negligence on the part of the son who dove in completely of his own volition)

OK, you want to hear a REALLY bad one? Try the sorority member who was slowly killing herself with a severe eating disorder. Her sorority sisters were growing increasingly concerned for her life after numerous attempts to help her. Finally, in desperation, members of the chapter contacted her parents, who brought their daughter home and got her into treatment that saved her life. So imagine the chapter's astonishment when the parents filed a lawsuit on their daughter's behalf......the crux? The chapter violated their daughter's right to privacy by telling THEM about her eating disorder!!!!!!!! Ok, hello??? These people are saying that the chapter should have kept their mouths shut and let Calista Flockhart starve herself to death....and they'd have been OKAY with that? I can just see them at the funeral, weeping over her coffin. "Yes, our little girl is gone, but darn it she went with her right to privacy intact!!! God bless those Omega Mus for preserving her civil liberties!!!!" Um, NO! They'd have still been calling the firm to file suit, only it would have been gross negligence for not intervening!!!! My chapter has specific policies in place regarding situations like that now, in order to help the sister while covering themselves.

Sorry to ramble, but it just drives me crazy that things like this are allowed to go on. Everyone is always coming down on the evil greeks...(God knows we Chi Omegas have had some of the worst accusations made on us lately!!!) but nobody is expected to take any personal responsibility. If you don't like something, just call your parents and if they can't get you your way they'll call Uncle Ralph down at the firm.....what is this teaching people about real life? How are these kids, greek or otherwise, expected to be able to handle the pressures and inevitable discomforts of life on their own? If a fraternity member can't handle learning some history about his chapter and being expected to attend some pledge class bonding sessions with his brothers, how is he going to handle the stress of a real job? There are always "dues' to be paid in life.....by taking this whole hazing thing too far we are intimating that anything that you HAVE to do is bad, anything that makes you put out any effort is unfair, that everything comes easy. And as I said in my last post, it takes away a lot of the most special and enjoyable parts of the greek experience that set it apart from the GDI life.

(Oops....I tripped getting down off my soapbox.....anyone know a good lawyer???)
Old 11-13-2001, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I just want to let you all know that I posted a very long reply under the TKE board where I addressed this.

I am taking all of these comments in and am doing some soul-searching.

I won't rehash the long essay I wrote on the TKE board, but this has been a learning experience for me. (It's what I get for having a big mouth)

Lets just say that I'm doing some thinking, and I want to thank you for your input.

TEKE IS STRONG
Old 11-13-2001, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
i like your brothers comment

hazing promotes brotherhood, like fucking promotes chastity

haha, that's great!

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 11-16-2001, 04:56 AM
GreekChat Member

1. Hazing is illegal. Period.
2. Who here thinks that the founders of their GLO wrote in hazing as a part of the original ritual? Not me.
3. I'm not going to argure with the people who think hazing is ok. It's like trying to convince someone their religion/faith is wrong. You believe what you want to/are taught.
4. Bottom line. If you haze, your charter will be pulled. Period.

No, I wasn't hazed. If I had been, I would have dropped my GLO. Simple as that. No degredation or wanting to belong is worth that. Eventually, there will be an end to the cylce. And it will be because someone brags a little too much about their "proud tradition" of hazing. And their Nationals will find out. Which will result in #4 above. Your charter will be pulled. Period.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
SirToad--

What do your new members learn from getting yelled at, sleep deprived and paddled about your brotherhood? I'd love to hear that, because I don't see anything constructive in those activities. If making them afraid and tired, thusly having them resent you and making that the bond that ties their new member class together is what you're looking for, I guess you succeed.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Apology

I am listing this post, which BTW will be my last post here.
For a long period of time, I have been abusing the internet, and have been "Acting Out" on it.

Thanks to fraters of TKE, I have now come to the realization that my behaviors are wrong and am now in therapy to overcome my compulsive behavior on the internet.

I am not a chapter advisor for TKE, and have not been a vet in any war. This was made up because as my doctor says, "You did it for the thrill of it." Unhealthy behaviors like this are part of my disorder, which I am now seeking to correct, along with other destructive internet behavior.

I plead with anyone who reads this board to eliminate physical and mental abuse of any kind. I think that if you are asking if it is, that it is.

I also want to aplolgize for the remarks I made here concerning hazing - again it was all made up.

I have taken a big step in my recovery from my destructive behavior, I have admitted that my life is unmanagable because of my behaviors on the internet. It is a great weight off my shoulders.

I apologize to any one I may offended, and again, I plead with you that all GLO's, need to follow the advise of their fraternity and eliminate destructive behavior.

Certainly a social fraternity should be that, and not something to "die for."

Shawn A.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Shawn, this site can be a very posotive place for you to be unless you are in screw you mode! As you have seen on this site, you have not only friends in the TEKES, but in all Fraternitys and Soroitys!

We are Greeks and if push comes to shove, we help our own! We take enuff heat from the outside world for stupid and mnoronic acts by the few, but againg we all take the brunt of it!

It is your decision of course to drop out of this site, but you may be making another mistake! Hang for a while and see what is in the air!

This may help you more than an over price pschyo ologist! We do not take money and we will work with you!

We all have problems at one time or another but give us a shot! I for one, if you get out of line will be happy to tell you along with a lot of other GChaters!

Fraternally Yours,

LX Z # 1
Alumni