Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,115
1 members and 1,114 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a sigma nu at the university of wyoming but i've been hearing rumors about the nationals of kappa sig being very interested in starting back up here. (They had the charter taken a few years back) They had the most elegant house next to use, a huge stone mansion, but the damn honors kids are taking it over, so i'm not sure how well that is gonna work out for the kappa sig peoples...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hayden 83:

You listed 19 interest groups in your February 21st posting on this thread. HQ may well "expect" 14 of them to petition for colony status "by the end of the year" [does "year" mean the end of the academic year, i.e, say the end of April, or the end of the calendar year, i.e. by December 31, 2008].

However,

1. I seriously doubt that 14 WILL actually end up petitioning. Although I'd love to be wrong, I'd bet the number will be closer to seven or eight. At least one out of every two interest groups folds for some reason or other. For instance, I was advised a couple of days ago that interest groups which we had as recently as less than a month ago Drexel, Seton Hall, and Towson have all since collapsed.

2. Just because an interest group petitions, does not mean that HQ (whoever that includes) accepts the petition. HQ may feel, correctly or incorrectly, that the group is not yet strong enough to succeed as a colony ... although that has not stopped HQ from granting colony status to at least 10 colonies in the past two years or so that any outside observer would say had NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER of succeeding, and all of which did subsequently fold.

The Fraternity website had a big announcement a few months ago, complete with a picture of the campus, that an interest group at Florida Atlantic University was preparing its petition for colony status. That was the last mention of that group; not a word about it since on the Website, in The Caduceus, or anywhere else that I have seen. Do you know if that group did submit a petition, which was not accepted? Or did it not get that far, and folded?

I would be very pleased indeed if 14 of the aforesaid 19 interest groups you have identified DO petition, and even more pleased if all of those petitions are accepted. But I'll never know, because the Fraternity is absolutely terrible about reporting to its membership about expansionary matters (or much else, for that matter). Colonies suddenly appear on the list of active chapters and colonies (like Dickinson did in the list few days) without any prior mention of our having an interest group there. Likewise, colonies and chapters simply
disappear from the same list, without any announcements or explanations ... most recently, in terms of colonies, Academy of Art University, University of Texas/Brownsville, and Troy University, the first two of which are among the aforementioned 10 or more colonies that had no chance whatsoever of succeeding and should not have been colonized in the first place. But unless one is paying close attention to the list, one would not even notice such disappearances ... which I suspect is the way HQ wants it ... trumpet the big rush numbers, don’t mention the failures.

Furthermore, we presently also have the opposite and completely ridiculous situation of a colony that is to be receiving its charter on March 8th that is NOT EVEN INCLUDED IN THE LIST OF CHAPTERS AND COLONIES. Until two days ago, the only reason one would even know the colony exists is because a notice of its chartering has been posted on the home page of the Website!! And that announcement does not name the colony or the school at which is located, just that it is in Charlotte, NC. Really now, how goofy is that!! Does HQ seriously think that the administration of the school at which the colony is located (the Charlotte campus of Johnson & Wales University) does not know the colony exists, and will not know if it is not mentioned on the Website??? In the last two days, the situation has been made even more ridiculous in that the colony is included in the list of top 25 rushing groups for 2007-2008, but again does not name the school in the list ... just an empty space where the Johnson & Wales, Charlotte should be! Will the school be added to the chapters and colonies list AFTER it has been chartered, or will it continue to exist in anonymity??? The whole thing is a complete farce.

In any case, my point is that neither I nor anyone else "outside of HQ" will ever know how many of those 19 interest groups eventually petitioned for colony status, because the Fraternity does not announce when such a petition has been received or from what interest group. We can only see which interest groups eventually become colonies when they are added to the chapters and colonies list. The others just disappear without a mention.

If it were not for people like you who clearly do have some knowledge of the Fraternity's affairs, posting on sites like this, those of us who are interested in such matters as expansion would know nothing other than the bare minimum that is posted on the Website. So please do keep posting!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Myself and two others from the Akron Colony were down at headquarters this week, and we are going to help start interest groups at Kent State (Epsilon-Rho) and Walsh University. We are also looking at several other schools around Ohio such as Ohio University, Dayton, Youngstown State, and etc.

-Jon
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

So we got 52 Guys and everything is done but apparently some of the brothers didn't deem it necessary to pay dues so we have to wait another semester to get initiated so Chico State will be a chapter by Fall 2008 for sure now that we got the money.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

It's great that you now have over 50 members in your colony and appear to have met all the requirements for chartering.

Has your colony submitted its petition for chartering to the SEC?

I was hoping that your colony would be receiving its charter before the start of the 2008-2009 academic year, so that you could participate in Fall Rush as a chapter rather than as still just a colony. But a Fall chartering is something to look forward to. Another Northern California chapter will be a terrific addition to the Fraternity's active chapter roll.

How does your 52-man membership compare with the other fraternities presently on the Cals State Chico campus?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkehippy06 View Post
As you guys can probably tell, I'm not a Kappa Sig. But theres one of your guys' interest groups trying to get started at my school (University of Southern Indiana).

Now, normally, I would be fine with this, but unfortunately the tactics they are using are not quite what they should be, including taking a guy who has been affiliated with, and subsequently kicked out of, all six other fraternities on campus (Lambda Chi Alpha, TKE, Phi Delta Theta, Sigma Pi, Kappa Alpha, Alpha Sigma Phi) and they aren't abiding by the University's rules(or the NIC's, which here everyone, even the Phi Delts, follow) about colonization.

In addition, we are already straining for numbers. At a 10,000 student school, all of Greek Life makes up only about 3% of the students. us guys are lucky if we can get half a dozen pledges per fall semester, and maybe half that for the spring. At this time our University cannot support another fraternity. Maybe in a few years, but definitely not now.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about this. Good luck in your expansions elsewhere.

tkehippy06 will no doubt be pleased. I see that our University of Southern Indiana colony has closed.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden83 View Post
Was this individual initiated by any of these groups, or just pledged? Or by affiliated do you mean he was simply rushed by them?

As for your other complaint, I would honestly say step up your game. If a football team is losing a game they don't expect the other team to stop playing.

It would seem that Kappa Sigma did not "step up [its] game". I see that the University of Southern Indiana colony has closed. Another hole in the "most preferred fraternity" myth that the SEC keeps promulgating. We clearly weren't the most preferred fraternity at USI (or any of the 26 other colonies the fraternity has closed in the last three to four years).
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

We are doing pretty good i believe we are 3rd largest in campus and next year 45 people are all going to come back so we are going to be pretty stable for at least the next 2 years. Rush went bad for everyone no one really wants to join fraternities here as much as they used to. That alot of the Fraternities are going to get suspended for poor academic integrity, so that will be another blow to the system as a whole. We have the Highest GPA so we are good and we already sent the binder to the SEC so we are just waiting for their approval. Which i hope we get the charter, we are expected to get initiated by members of the Theta Zeta Chapter in New Mexico idk how accurate that is but it sounds good, idk why anyone would make this up.
WE lost in the fraternity league softball semi finals to the Champs by 1 run so that kind of blew but its our first year we can take them next year.
but we are doing good we need to fix minor things and people need to start paying dues because they are holding us back.

I really dont like how you have to have 50 men. Honestly its not fair that some are dedicated and some arent just to keep the "number one second to none" thing going. Our Docets are not even that elaborate on certain things unlike for example Sigma Chi's Norman Shield. I love Kappa Sigma but i dont like the way nationals handles some aspects of the Order. I also hate how they dont keep you updated on anything. For example i have a friend who is in KS in Mu-Delta UC Irvine and i told him i was about to be a founder in Chico and he was like i have no idea they were starting a colony there. Someone else told me that 70 guys were signed up to restart UCLA's chapter and that was 3 months ago wtf happend???

oh well i really want to go through the ritual so i can finally understand the meaning behind all of this.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostateksig View Post
We are doing pretty good i believe we are 3rd largest in campus and next year 45 people are all going to come back so we are going to be pretty stable for at least the next 2 years. Rush went bad for everyone no one really wants to join fraternities here as much as they used to. That alot of the Fraternities are going to get suspended for poor academic integrity, so that will be another blow to the system as a whole. We have the Highest GPA so we are good and we already sent the binder to the SEC so we are just waiting for their approval. Which i hope we get the charter, we are expected to get initiated by members of the Theta Zeta Chapter in New Mexico idk how accurate that is but it sounds good, idk why anyone would make this up.
WE lost in the fraternity league softball semi finals to the Champs by 1 run so that kind of blew but its our first year we can take them next year.
but we are doing good we need to fix minor things and people need to start paying dues because they are holding us back.

I really dont like how you have to have 50 men. Honestly its not fair that some are dedicated and some arent just to keep the "number one second to none" thing going. Our Docets are not even that elaborate on certain things unlike for example Sigma Chi's Norman Shield. I love Kappa Sigma but i dont like the way nationals handles some aspects of the Order. I also hate how they dont keep you updated on anything. For example i have a friend who is in KS in Mu-Delta UC Irvine and i told him i was about to be a founder in Chico and he was like i have no idea they were starting a colony there. Someone else told me that 70 guys were signed up to restart UCLA's chapter and that was 3 months ago wtf happend???

oh well i really want to go through the ritual so i can finally understand the meaning behind all of this.
When I was Grand Scribe we would get all kinds of letters congratulating colonies on their acceptance as chapters, so it's not that IMH that isn't putting the information out there. Also, each member of the executive gets all kinds of e-mails with such information in it, so it gets passed along. I believe there is an email group thats open to everyone -- I can't remember though, when I was on EC the two groups I was required to be in were Kappa Sigma One and 46 East Lawn.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbethea View Post
It was pretty contentious among our brothers about the change to the new BD. Our last Bononia Docet, the one from the '90s, was a really great exhibition of our history and traditions. The new one has good ideas but it seems so scant - maybe the SEC is scared of chapters making pledges "learn" all that material in 60 days (i.e. hazing). It's also differently designed to guide pledges along the four pillars as opposed to a much more "historical account" like the old one was. The expansion of the fraternity is hardly touched in the new one which is a travesty if you ask me. If you want more info on this send me an e-mail, I can probably help you out if, say, you want a copy of it to peruse.

I also heard of two other colonies they closed down this winter - Troy Univ. and one other I can't recall. BUT there's good expansion prospectively going on at (I also heard) UCLA (maybe in the fall?), Ohio (Univ.), and Denison.

The "Number One, Second to None" thing was really played up at Conclave. It's too bad that it's already becoming so cliche. We spout that off but we're shutting down chapters left and right like Nu-Omega, Kappa-Upsilon, Epsilon-Pi, Nu-Zeta, Lambda-Psi, and Gamma-Nu. All of these last winter. The one at Clemson (Kappa-Upsilon) was particularly nasty with the SEC mandating that a letter be put in the school newspaper informing the community of the chapter's closing (I was a bit taken aback by this extremity). See the Star & Crescent for more info on Brothers Services.
Thanks for the info... BTW today i received an old Docet circa 1979 by my friend in Kappa Sigma in an other chapter. i am reading it and its so much better than today's version but thanks for willing to help. I really cant wait to get initiated
Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

oh yeah Kappa Sigma has got 2 other colonies aside from us. Academy of the Art which i have no clue how they are doing or how thats going to work as there is no Greek System present, and they closed but suddenly came back. CSU Northridge also has a colony but this colony is special for the mute and def etc. this colony is bound to fail because one this school is a commuter school with more fraternities present. 2nd Sigma Nu has had a colony since 2004 and hasn't chartered to this date, SAE currently re-colonized a dormant chapter and the fact that half the members or the majority are mute/ or def means that its going to be different to get 50 men and other things. I talked to their grandmaster and he told me the same thing. A couple of friends go to that school and they haven't heard anything or rarely hear any Kappa Sigma Activity.

I hope i am wrong and they get established soon...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
I'm about a month late on this, but Kappa Sigma has begun the recolonization process at Vanderbilt.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
I'm about a month late on this, but Kappa Sigma has begun the recolonization process at Vanderbilt.
That's great. It's good to hear we're coming back to a lot of these schools, hopefully things go well.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

So gentlemen i got news from our GP that today Nationals has approved us to be the newest chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity and its going to be at Chico State. I am proud of the hard work we have done and cant wait to get initiated. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Terrific news. Congratulations to the entire colony. Has your chartering date been set?