GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,196
0 members and 1,196 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
That is an awesome story.

A lot of people don't understand that it IS possible for a woman to do both, to have a successful career AND a husband and children. The Life Script of "go to college, join the right sorority, meet your future husband, get married, have children, and be a SAHM" got jammed down many women's throats in my parents' generation. It's a perfectly valid life path, but it's not the ONLY path. My MIL followed the Life Script, minus the joining a sorority and marrying a doctor parts. My mother, like Low C Sharp's mother, got married and had children (just the one in my mom's case) and also pursued a difficult and challenging career as a doctor. Some women decide not to get married at all, or to get married and not have children. All valid choices.
I'm so glad I had my grandmother as an example and can look to her for justification and support of going to college, working, and postponing marriage. Not that my immediate family has ever harassed me about education, marriage, or kids, but some of my extended family has made comments I don't think were intended as hurtful, but came off that way.

My grandmother went to college, joined Alpha Gam, and yes she received a degree in home economics and english, and became a teacher. She met my grandfather in college, and they didn't marry for almost 10 years and she worked that whole time. My father came along when she was 36, and after WWII she stopped working and took care of him with the help of extended family. Once my grandfather died when my dad was a teenager my grandmother went back to work as a teacher and did that well into her 60s, and chose to never remarry. Even in retirement she had crazy volunteer positions, just like she did when she wasn't employed outside the home. My mother is somewhat similar in that she worked and volunteered while married to my father, and now again married to my stepfather.

My other grandmother stayed at home and raised seven kids and took care of my grandfather, and in her later years took college courses for fun, not for a degree. I like that I was presented with all options and as long as I'm happy, healthy, and productive (doing something like raising kids, volunteering, working, going to school) no one has an issue with my life. I also think I'm off the hook since one sister has been married three times, another twice, and they all have kids so my parents joke I have to wait to get married so they can afford to pay for it

My nephew asked me why I didn't have any boys (all my sisters had boys) and thinks I should have some, thanks preschooler for telling me to have kids! He forgave me when he met my cats though, as there are no pets at his home, nor will there be any time soon. He wants me to bring them to visit and have them stay for vacation, he's a hoot.