» Online Users: 1,062
0 members and 1,062 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2002, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by poodleNtraining
And all I can say to PM_Mama and other on her wavelength, is to get a heart and get a clue. If you were in an accident and someone wrecked your car, and their insurance company said they were gonna get you a new car on the same level as yours, and you had a Mercedes and they gave you a Yugo, you'd be at the courthouse filing papers ASAP. This is an even bigger situation, with the promise being even more critical. They said it, they owe it, end of discussion.
Hmmmm, good analogy. How about this one? Imagine a woman that is in college, doing just fine, working towards earning a bachelor's degree. She is at the top of her class, but she falls in love with a very selfish man and he demands that she quit school to come and work for him. She feels she has no choice. Either she concedes or loses him. He has just opened a new business, but it is failing and he is struggling just to keep the doors opened. He married her not because he loved her, but because he thought she would be a great assest to his company and he knew that she would work hard on his behalf to make the company into what he knew it could be. The wife takes on the responsibility and puts all her time and effort into making the company a prosperous one. She receives no pay and because she is working so hard for her husband, she loses contact with all of her friends and family because she is just so busy. She does this for four years (4 really should = 400, but work with me here) and as expected, the company takes off and becomes one of the most powerful and financially successful in the world. He is now a very rich man. In retrospect, the husband realizes that what he's done to his wife (marrying her because of her business savvy and not out of love) is not in the best interest of his livlihood, so he divorces her. (Note that he's not really sorry for what he's done, he just realizes that her services no longer benefit the growth of the company). Now, she's given up everything she's familiar with and she's done nothing but worked hard to help make his business thrive. In return, she gets a swift kick in the butt and is forced to make it on her own. She is left with no education (remember she dropped out for him), no money, no family or friends, and no identity. Is she or is she not entitled to some of the earnings she helped generate???

Last edited by Bamboozled; 08-27-2002 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PotentialPledge
great analogy, and yes she is entitled to some of the wealth she helped generate.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

excellent analogy, except to emphasize everyone responsible, Id make the girl a foreign mail-order bride, as there were a lot of tribal leaders in Africa who profited from the sale of slaves...
Old 08-27-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Very true, but on to a different veiwpoint. I believe in reparations, but not the kind that some african-americans are asking for. I dont remeber where I read this but I heard they(reparationists) want 8 trillion dollars from the US gov. They want this money to be paid to every african american in america. I think that asking for this amount of money to be mailed as a check to people is outragous. I watched a little bit of the reparations rally in D.C. on tv, and I was a little disapointed. It was the part where they had musicians and singers performing songs. The musicians performing were singing/rapping about "show me the money", "let me get my check". To me, it looked like they were more interested in getting that check than true equality. I do believe that money should be funneled into education/health/social services, but not personal paychecks for being black. I am very sorry if I have offended anybody, but this is how I feel.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PotentialPledge
Pika2001 believe me those people at the rally do not represent all blacks. I walked past the rally on the way to the metro and I could not believe the things they were saying. I dont want a check just invest money in education and other services that all people can benefit from.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Very true, but on to a different veiwpoint. I believe in reparations, but not the kind that some african-americans are asking for. I dont remeber where I read this but I heard they(reparationists) want 8 trillion dollars from the US gov. They want this money to be paid to every african american in america. I think that asking for this amount of money to be mailed as a check to people is outragous. I watched a little bit of the reparations rally in D.C. on tv, and I was a little disapointed. It was the part where they had musicians and singers performing songs. The musicians performing were singing/rapping about "show me the money", "let me get my check". To me, it looked like they were more interested in getting that check than true equality. I do believe that money should be funneled into education/health/social services, but not personal paychecks for being black. I am very sorry if I have offended anybody, but this is how I feel.
Please don't apologize for your beliefs. There is absolutely nothing offensive about your post.

I think the general consensus of all those that have posted in favor of reparations is that no one is looking for a big "come up" check in the mail. As you stated, reparations would be much better suited if its purpose was to level the playing field in terms of "education/health/social services". I believe that that is all that is being asked of the U.S. government.

Last edited by Bamboozled; 08-27-2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Lightbulb Nice job

I thought I wasn't going to come back to this thread, but I must say that I'm proud of what I've seen in the last two days. People have been opinionated, yes. But there's been a sense of civility and decorum. Hopefully, the tone of this discussion will stay civil.

As for me: I'd rather see a level playing field in terms of investing in education and meaningful job training. In this time of economic uncertainty and anxiety over job security, et al, I just don't think cutting checks would be practical.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the issue of reparations is more of a principle than just recieving money or a free ride. However, even if reparations were to be handed out, what problems will it solve? How can it repair years of damage? More important, how can it solve racial inequalities today? It won't! A little economically for blacks, that's it.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-28-2002, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by prayerfull

Well, PM_Mama - - you're prejudism ought to really start trippin' out when I tell you this....I'm racially mixed..

Sicilian (25%), Spanish (Malaga) (25%) and BLACK (50%).

Got a problem with that? You think you're blood is hot...mine is straight up boiling over the bull crap that you've posted on this thread.
Yes, I'm back from vacation and I cannot help but laugh at what everyone has been saying about me.

No, prayerfull, I have absolutely no problem with you being Sicilian, Spanish, and Black. That's pretty cool. Afterall, and I am not sure if this is true but I have heard it from numerous people so forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sicilians derive from Africans?

And to everyone else. I'm NOT prejudiced towards every African American on this earth. I have black friends. If I was prejudiced, I wouldn't be friends with them. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word prejudiced before... I should have said I just don't like them. I've said so many times that no matter what ethnicity someone is, if they were to do that (the stuff that I mentioned that pissed me off), I still wouldn't like them.

I don't like feminists. I'm a female. Does that help anyone out here? Do you now understand?

And I can't remember who said it, about me pissing off someone and gettin called a f* white b*.... I accidentally cut them off (which wasn't even my fault cuz I had my blinker on, they didn't), waved that I was sorry, and still got followed into a gas station and had my life threatened. If it were the other way around, and I used the word that I do not like and would never say, it'd be a prejudiced comment. That's the double standard that I hate.

To save anyone the trouble of gettin all pissy with me even more, and goin against the new forum guidelines of using usernames to insult someone, I will not be posting on this subject anymore. And I ask that you stop using my name or indirectly talking about me.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I know you said you wouldn't be POSTING, but I have a feeling you will still be reading. So here goes:

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
No, prayerfull, I have absolutely no problem with you being Sicilian, Spanish, and Black. That's pretty cool. Afterall, and I am not sure if this is true but I have heard it from numerous people so forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sicilians derive from Africans?
Human life as we know it descended from Africa.

Quote:
And to everyone else. I'm NOT prejudiced towards every African American on this earth. I have black friends. If I was prejudiced, I wouldn't be friends with them.
The age old "I have Black friends" crutch? Is so like 1998. lol
You can have black friends and still be prejudiced. Having a few token acquaintances does not negate the stereotypes that you have admitted to time and time again.

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word prejudiced before... I should have said I just don't like them. I've said so many times that no matter what ethnicity someone is, if they were to do that (the stuff that I mentioned that pissed me off), I still wouldn't like them.
The fact is that you are still generalizing. THEM is a generalization. Because you have seen/heard a few people speak out in favor of something that you oppose, you now hate "THEM". Make sense?

Quote:
And I can't remember who said it, about me pissing off someone and gettin called a f* white b*.... I accidentally cut them off (which wasn't even my fault cuz I had my blinker on, they didn't), waved that I was sorry, and still got followed into a gas station and had my life threatened. If it were the other way around, and I used the word that I do not like and would never say, it'd be a prejudiced comment. That's the double standard that I hate.
Double standard?? LOL. You can do the same thing if you want. If someone cuts you off in traffic, follow them and call them the same thing. Don't you think they will have the same reaction you do? There is no double standard, just your assumption that ALL Black people you aren't acquainted feel the way that woman did. Some people have road rage. It is not specific to one race or gender.

Also, if you would like to further discuss a "double standard" in other areas, feel free to start another thread. I am up for some educating.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that they will never be enough money to properly compensate for the loss of potential that was squandered as a result of this genocide(please correctly if I used this word wrong). Moving forward I agree that properly educating all american children to the horrors of our forefathers so they can learn from the mistakes of these elder statesmen. Black history shouldn't be focused on just a month. It should be an education all year with other ethnic groups. too. I took a peace studies course one semester and it was an eye opener There will always be those who use their race,ethnicity, etc... to further substantiate their opinion when it shouldn't be an issue. Let your opinion be yours and let the thoroughness of your answer be what we judge. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it can call itself a dog but you know the truth.