GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,364
0 members and 1,364 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2004, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Tri-Sigma was the only informal I went to so.......YEAH

If I hadn't gotten a bid, I probably would've remained non-Greek.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally posted by SDTSarah
I LOVED SDT's pref ceremony,

I love our Pref ceremony...one of my favorite times in the fall!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 04-01-2004, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Yes! I went into Rush with a pretty open mind and I really loved ALL of the sororities. I didn't know any sorority girls before rush anyway, so I didn't have a hard time keeping an open mind. I just LOVED the girls in Phi Mu!! Also, it was strange, there were several girls on my floor that wanted to be Phi Mus soooo bad...by the time Pref came these girls were rushing me for PHI MU!!! I thought it was so funny that they hadn't even gotten a bid yet and they were telling me I had to go Phi Mu. It didn't take much to convince me....I knew what I was going to do before I even went to the pref party. And I couldn't be happier with my decision!

I kinda felt bad though because there was another house that had been soo good to me during rush and I felt bad when I put them second. I loved them too, but it's just now where I wanted to be. I am friends with several girls in this house still.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

YES! Most definitely! There are 4 NPC chapters on campus and going into recruitment I was completely open minded. I went to AB first and liked them, but thought they were a bunch of prissy girls I could never be myself with. Then I went to DEF second and really liked them and started to get excited. After I went to GHI and HATED it, horribly! Then I went to AOII and knew I was home. The whole week was just me waiting to get to AOII and praying that they loved me just as much as I loved them and it turns out they did! To this day, they talk about how they knew I was going AOII because you could definitely tell and couldn't believe how obvious it was!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:49 AM

I got my first choice! My second choice was also great and I'm sure I would have been happy there but I'm glad to be a ZTA!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I suicided Sigma K so I knew from the moment I woke up on bid day & didn't receive a call from my Rho Chi that I was going to get a bid!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Yes, I got my frist choice, but it took my a while to get there!

When I was a senior in high school, I was at a Hillsdale prospective student reception with my parents. We were talking to a current Hillsdale student who was wearing a little golden key on her sweater and we asked her what it meant. She told us that it was her sorority, Kappa, and if I was on campus soon she'd love to give me a tour of the house. So, when I went to Hillsdale in March, my admissions counselor took me over to the Kappa house (which is beautiful, by the way) and she and the girl I'd met at the reception gave me a tour. Thus, when I started school at Hillsdale in the Fall, I knew that I was going to rush, and I though that maybe Kappa would be a good place for me since they all seemed so nice when I was a prospective.

However, one of the girls on our cheerleading team went through Fall informal and went Pi Phi, and always told us freshman WONDERFUL things about Pi Phi. Plus, I had a good friend who was also a freshman (now my roommate at the Pi Phi house!) whose sister was a Pi Phi and would always invite us to her apartment to hang out with her and her Pi Phi roommates, despite all the rules!

Well, when formal recruitment rolled around, it was me, three other freshman cheerleaders, and this friend of mine with the Pi Phi sister all going through together.... Like all good PNMs do, we got together and talked about everything when we were on silence, of course! First day we all went to all four houses (Pi Phi, Kappa, Chi-O, and AXD) and the same on the second day. Third day was formal desserts - I got invited back to all four, but only went to Pi Phi, Kappa, and AXD. I knew I wouldn't fit in well at the Chi-O or AXD houses, but our dean insists that we attend all three desserts if possible, so I just went to AXD for good measure. I was the most laid-back PNM in the history of recruitment, I think - I was totally oblivious, and wasn't really thinking about the outcome at this point.

However, I got invited back to all three pref parties, and then I started to think. By this time my friends and I had decided that although we liked the Kappa house, we probably wouldn't be very happy there, and thus I preffed Pi Phi and AXD. I went to the Pi Phi pref party first, and when we left, we were all basically in tears - the pref party really made me realize how comfortable I was with the Pi Phis. I went to the AXD pref party and, although it was a really nice ceremony, I left knowing that Pi Phi was my true home. I walked out arm in arm with three other PNMs who are now my Pi Phi sisters. As we walked up the hill to rank our choices, we all looked at eachother and silently mouthed "Pi Phi", which we definitely were NOT supposed to be doing.

Back at the dorm, my friend with the Pi Phi sister was totally torn between Pi Phi and Chi-O, while I, totally disobeying all the niceties of rectuitment, had suicided Pi Phi. We got a knock on our door, ran up the hill, and gathered in the dean's office to receive our bid cards. When our envelopes had the same handwriting on them, I knew it was Pi Phi...... And the rest, as they say, is history!

I remember being so confident in my choice, because I knew I wanted to be a Pi Phi, but being soooo worried for my friend because I wanted her to be a Pi Phi with me and she was totally torn! But, it all worked out in the end.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such a fun thread!

I got my first choice! Of course, I have to tell my story...be forewarned, it's very long!

Freshman year I didn't join a sorority - I didn't want to be a part of that scene. Over the summer b/w fresh. & soph. year I lived on a floor with one of the girls in group A. She was awesome! Through her I met several other girls of A who were all wonderful. I knew right then and there that I was meant to be an A. I saw rush only as a formality; I knew this was the group I wanted and didn't care about any of the others.

Rush starts - boy does Rush mess with your head! After the first night I realized that A wasn't as great as I thought they were. The girls I knew from A were probably their best girls (and they were, really) as none of the other A girls were like them, so I started rethinking what I really wanted. I also knew that of the 6 groups, I didn't want B because the 3 or 4 girls I knew I hated (so I dropped them after the first night), and I didn't want C because the girls I knew from my classes were just plain mean (dropped them after the second night). I was very impressed with D and E and VERY IMPRESSED with Alpha Xi. I was confused because I really wanted to explore my options with D, E and Alpha Xi, but I felt obligated to A, so after Day 3 when I had to drop two (you can only have 2 choices going into Preference), I didn't know which ones I was going to drop. I agonized all night over the decision. The next day I preffed group A and Alpha Xi.

Went to Alpha Xi's preference first, and I was sold. I knew that this was where I belonged. I went to A's pref. next, and the whole time it was like I was sitting in someone else's body just going through the motions. I was miserable. When bid card signing came, I KNEW I was guaranteed a bid from A. I knew I would be miserable with A and it wasn't where I belonged and I wanted to be in Alpha Xi sooooo badly (at that point it was more a question of did they want me - they were the top group on campus and I was so afraid I wasn't good enough to be picked by them)! So, I listed Alpha Xi first, A second, then E and D and left off the other two. If I got a bid from B or C I wasn't joining a sorority. Period.

Anyways, bid day came....I was nervous. One of my rho chis was one of the girls from group A whom I had met over the summer...of course I couldn't tell her I was no longer interested in her group so I was so nervous she would say something mean if I got a bid from Alpha Xi and not her sorority. The Panhel. rush secretary had already said something mean earlier in the week (she was another member of A with whom I had hung out over the summer) when I told her that I had gotten really confused. She was like, "I thought you knew what you wanted." Anyways, my rho chis came with my bid and I opened that envelope so slowly....

Well we all know I got a bid from Alpha Xi! I was ecstatic. Turns out...most of the girls that I knew in A desistered that semester, and the chapter eventually folded. Isn't it funny how the rush process really does put you with the group you're supposed to be with?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
PiPhiGirl2005--One of my chapter sisters has 3 sisters who went to Hillsdale. 2 were Pi Phis and one was a Kappa!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

When I first knew I was going to Akron, I knew that I would be going through recruitment eventually. At the time, I had been dating a guy that was a TKE there and he had told me that I would fit well into DG or AGD. I took that to heart but also knew that I had to make my own decisions. I ended up not even registering for recruitment until the night of orientation or what we call Sorority Forum (which I don't even remember now if it was called that at that time). I think I finally made up my mind about it because of DGs that I knew and that had gotten to know me during welcome week activities.

Anyways....after the second round of recruitment, we had to drop two houses (which ended up being AGD and KKG since I was invited back to every house).

I got my pref invites and was invited back to my top three (DG, ADPi, and APhi) but had to choose two. It was a tough decision because I loved DG, and liked ADPi and APhi, but I chose to drop APhi.

On the day of Preference, I dropped out before the parties began because of an arguement I had with my mom that morning. (She wasn't too thrilled that I wanted to join a sorority). So I called my Rho Chi and told her that I wasn't coming. Well, instead of my mom letting me be the stubborn person that I am and staying home, she pushed me out the door and told me to go. So, 45 minutes after I called my Rho Chi and 15 minutes before the parties began, I arrived on campus and jumped back into recruitment (the Rho Chi's had to go to DG and ADPi and tell them that I would be there cause they already told them that I wouldn't be).

So anyways....to finally get to the point of my story. I liked ADPi, but I didn't feel comfortable enough to put them as a second choice. I ended up suiciding DG and getting a bid from them later that day. I have never regretted it and am so proud that I am a DG.

*I guess my ex from way back then was right, huh?*
Old 04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes.

I had kind of a bad rush. I was very naïve entering rush and did, said and wore just about all the wrong things. Even though I was a legacy, I went in with an open mind and thought I had clicked with a few houses. I was surprised to see I had been cut from all but 4 on 5-party day. That day was horrible. I was nervous, I was homesick, I didn't really like all the houses I was invited to and I couldn't make decent small talk for the life of me. The moment I walked into the Kappa house, I breathed a sigh of relief. I knew I could just be me and that would be fine. And considering I started crying while I was talking to one of the girls and she didn't freak out and made me feel 100% better I knew that was my home. (I then called my sister crying because I was sure I had blown my chances because I had cried at the house!)

Pref night I attended Kappa and ABC. I went to ABC first, and really don't remember much about their Pref. It was nice, but didn't strike a chord with me. Then I went to Kappa's and just loved it. I put Kappas first and ABC second and then walked home with the two other girls I had really bonded with in my Rush group.

I wasn't able to participate in Bid Day activities because I was in Marching Band, so I didn't even know I had been offered a bid until late that afternoon. I was ecstatic when I saw those words "The women of Kappa Kappa Gamma cordially invite you to become a member."

Even though times weren't always sunshine and roses at the house, I met some of the most important people of my life and still am very active in the Fraternity. I think I would have been okay at ABC, but I'm so happy that I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma!

* and Kappa was where I was a legacy
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 04-01-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
breathesgelatin, that's awesome. Not only is Hillsdale an amazing school, but Pi Phi and Kappa both have incredibly strong chapters here. Were these girls here recently that I might have known them?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by PiPhiGirl2005
breathesgelatin, that's awesome. Not only is Hillsdale an amazing school, but Pi Phi and Kappa both have incredibly strong chapters here. Were these girls here recently that I might have known them?
I'm not sure how much older her sisters were--she graduated from W&L last year, class of 2003. I know her oldest sister was quite a bit older than her, but I think the others may have been closer in age. They would be the Kreiders from Cincinatti.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Adelphean1851 Send a message via Yahoo to Adelphean1851
I knew before rush that ADPi was the only place for me. But I did try to have an open mind during recrutiment. In the end I was torn between Adpi and AlphaXi, But I went with my gut and am glad i didn't change my mind at the last minute.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

when I went through I knew girls in a particular house (XYZ) and I knew that they really wanted me to go XYZ. Going through I realized that I really felt like I fit in at Chi-O so they were the only house I wanted. I preffed XYZ, ABC and Chi-O and I placed Chi-O as number one on my card. The next day I was elated to see a bid from my #1 choice! I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!