GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,305
2 members and 1,303 guests
PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a girl who pledged a sorority just because she was a groupie of that fraternity who was paired as their homecoming partner that year!
Old 06-03-2003, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
I guess when I went through recruitment I didn't have the choice to cut. But, when I went through I hadn't planned on cutting a sorority because of colors or symbols. I will admit that I liked Alpha Chi because the lyre was the symbol and I was impressed with the musical connection. At any rate...

Reading through these threads reminds me of last year when I was a Rho Chi. I had this one girl who was sooo obsessed over the stupid nit picky things! One time she was discussing how she didn't like this one house because she didn't like their colors and their formal room was ugly. It was hilarious because everyone (including her) thought I was in this particular sorority so she was trying to knock the house and the sorority politely. So funny! The thing that's even funnier is that she actually joined that house! LOL!
Old 06-05-2003, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was going through rush here at Ole Miss, I had my mind on a few sororities but I remember going to this one house, they are no longer on our campus, and HATING their house! I remembered I called my mother that night and told her that if for some reason that was the house I ended up in I was going to drop out and that I would rush again the next fall. Well, I didn't even need to go back to that house because I cut them after second round. I will say this, my best friend from highschool pledged that GLO and I ended up eating there a few times with her and guess what? After that fall, they started renovations on the place! CRAZY! So, I learned my lesson from that. However, they did have to leave campus because of money and low numbers.

I met a girl three years ago during rush who only wanted to be a KD because her name was K.D. Those were the first two letters of her initials, it stood fro like Karen Diane or something! She did end up pledging KD though! Crazy!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so I didn't go through formal rush or anything, but i have a story kinda related to cutting for stupid reasons...

when the local NPC told us they were voting our local group on, our greek advisor told us basically to look at every other NPC sorority that wasn't on campus, with the exception of one that has been kicked off like 3 times for hard core hazing in the 80's. well, that left us with 21 sororities. No offence to Sigma Delta Tau, but I didn't want to go them because I looked at the letters and all I saw was 'EAT'... I'm ashamed to say that....but it happened.

I did like Tri Delta for a few reasons, but the ones that fit here are the fact that the mascot is a dolphin(as a marine bio major, i think its in our requirements to love dolphins) and since delta means change, and it would be the third time our name was changed, I wanted Tri Delta, so we would have a special part in the name. corny, i know
Old 06-06-2003, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
since delta means change, and it would be the third time our name was changed, I wanted Tri Delta, so we would have a special part in the name. corny, i know
I don't think that's corny at all. What an awesome way to tell someone part of your history as a local becoming a national! Anything that makes your letters more special to you is important.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
When I went through Chi Omega's house tour, the girl that took me around talked like a kindergarden teacher. She had a little kid voice and the perfect diction for children. I was super tired and it seemed like I had to talk to her forever until someone came up and took me away. I left horrible because I tried so hard not to be rude to her, but they really should not let her rush PNM because her voice was really annoying.

At Sigma Kappa, I was rushed by a girl from a town near me that has the best BBQ i have evre had. We talked about that the whole time because her friends family owned the restaurant
Old 06-15-2003, 03:11 PM
That1LoudChick

I went through formal, but ended up dropping out. Well, I was going through my rush book trying to figure out which sorority I liked best. I ended up not giving DG much of a chance because of some stupid reasons.

Here Are Some of my Stupid Reasons:
1. I already had a preference for DZ because I loved their website and symbols. (I had been checking out each sorority's website throughout the summer.)
2. I couldn't picture myself being represented by an anchor.
3. I wanted so badly to drop SSS because I thought the letters looked dorky and I didn't like the idea of boats as paddles.

By the way, I have an acquaintance who ended up becoming a DG and I've met many of their girls. I honestly believe they are a wonderfully strong organization. Also, I'm glad I didn't end up being a DZ because I know I wouldn't get along with a lot of their girls. As for SSS, I think they are a great group of girls, but once again, not for me.

Last edited by That1LoudChick; 06-15-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: atlanta....its hot here... cant breath... too humid... helppp
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
I'm deathly afraid of our Hannah dolls. They are EVERYWHERE in our chapter room! When we were first new members, we used to call her "psycho doll" because she was like Chuckie... just kind of appeared at the corner of pictures and stuff... YIKES!!!
LOL!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:47 PM

*bump*

A friend of mine (I'll call her Susie - the names have been changed to protect the innocent ) told me her dumb reason for not going back to a particular sorority.

The way our first round of formal rush worked, you went to each sorority's rush room for 10 minutes ("tours"), then there were 2 open houses totaling around 8 hours, where you could go back to any sorority you wanted for as long as you wanted.

When Susie got to XYZ's room during tours, pretty much the first thing her rusher asked her was "So, do you have any questions about XYZ?" She was caught very off guard, and blurted out the first thing that came to mind: "Tell me about your nationals." Turns out her rusher had gone to convention that summer, and so she talked her ear off about how exciting convention was for the entire ten minutes!

While I'm sure it was exciting for the sister to go to convention, Susie just couldn't get that excited about a convention for a sorority she had literally just been exposed to during rush. She was very put off, didn't go back to XYZ during open houses, and wound up dropping out of rush altogether.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

A former friend of mine from school thought that I was a threat to her relationship with her boyfriend even though I set the two of them up so she made him stop talking to me. Of course he still does, just not in her presence. We were both pledging during the same semester and would talk about that a lot and he started calling me his "Greek buddy" this made her jealous because she didn't want there to be something that he could discuss with me and not her so she told her friends that she wants to rush next year so that he won't have a reason to talk to me. (Isn't she a sweetie?) Of course after hearing that, we are definitely not going to giver her a bid for KLP.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
I remember that thread lol....someone should bump it up.
*bump*
Old 04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a story that (without getting into detail) revolves around the Kappa house being haunted. A PNM cut us (even though she adored Kappa) because she was too scared to live in the house.

I know of girls who attended a house here and came out saying they were not going to go back if invited because they didn't like the way the house smelled.

Finally, one of my friends cut a house because they sang a sisterhood song on skit day. (Skit day is the second day of recruitment, sisterhood is not usually discussed until day four.) It freaked her out so she cut them.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Way back when, I think I *just* wanted to be an ABC because my favourite R.A. was one, so I just started hanging out with her and her ABC friends. They were nice, but I didn't really realize at the time that I probably would have fit in MUCH better with the XYZ's. In the end, I didn't join ABC, and when it was time for winter rush, I rushed XYZ, loved it, and got TOTALLY psyched to join, but they unfortunately cut me, because by then, I had become involved in too many other on-campus activities, and the girls didn't think I could make the commitment. It's okay, I'm still super friends with a lot of the XYZ girls, in fact, when one of my really good friends got a bid to XYZ this year, I hugged her and congratulated her, because that's what friends do, and she made it really clear that, XYZ or not, she'd still be my friend. So far, she's been as good as her word, and it's kind of a good thing, because, like I said, I've always been friends with the lovely ladies of XYZ (and some in ABC too, actually), and I'm just glad that my friend has become so close with them too.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetagammachica
I remember when I went through recruitment, I was pretty much set on where I wanted to go.... so we were at the first round parties and they started chanting... freaked the heck out of me... Then they did it the next night... and at pref. But, I still got over it because I loved the sisters... and I have found the chanting is actually really fun, but you can tell during recruitment we scare half of the girls.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl
Although I was pretty sure after round one that I wasn't meant to be a DG, I knew it for certain during round two: My hostess, who was being very nice even though I was having an attack of the stupids and couldn't think of anything to say, showed me her "love book." I don't know if all DG chapters do this, but the one at my school has big sisters take blank books and fill them with fun memories, poems, pictures, etc. and present them to their littles at initiation. I AM THE WORLD'S WORST ARTIST! I was banned from sign-making during my years as an active!! I took one look at that book, told her it was beautiful, which it was, and knew right then and there I was not going to be a DG. The thought of having to make one for my future little sis was not something I could deal with.
This is kinda off on a tangent, but two of the family lines at my chapter have a tradition of making banners for their lils with pigs and bears representing each member of the family line. I am so glad that I'm not in either of those family lines, cuz my poor lils would've ended up getting the ugliest banners. I would've not been able to stand cutting all those little bears or pigs out of felt. This is an example of what one of those banners looks like:

PSimissU
Closed Thread