GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,341
0 members and 1,341 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs up Sorors in South Korea

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...&article=29446

Sorors teamed up with a military department to put on a Memorial Day weekend festival. Scroll down to see a picture of sorors stepping.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Miss Black Illinois

The new Miss Black Illinois is a dear friend of mine and a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha! YAY Terez!

Bio
Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

My Graduate Advisor (former):

Retired Grambling State University professor and historian Mildred Gallot is the newest member of the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors after being appointed by Gov. Kathleen Blanco.

Gallot, mother of Rep. Rick Gallot Jr (KAY)., D-Grambling, replaces board member David Wright, whose term expired in January.

The University of Louisiana System oversees the operations of eight state universities including GSU, the University of Louisiana at Monroe and Louisiana Tech University.

Gallot said she was honored and surprised by her appointment, especially since she did not know it had happened until informed by The News-Star.

"Wright left in January, so I was beginning to think maybe it wouldn't be filled," she said. "I simply had not heard anything, and these things can be political, so you never know."

She knew she had been nominated for the position and is eager to serve after retiring in 2003 from GSU as head of the history department. She had been at GSU for 44 years.

She believes she has the experience to serve and can help GSU have a stronger presence in the UL System.

Rep. Gallot said he is thrilled for his mother.

"I'm excited she's been appointed, and I certainly think she's qualified," he said.

"But for the record, I did not nominate her," he said with a laugh.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Actress Phylicia Allen Rashad to Honor Married HISD Teachers
July 1, 2005

Broadway and television actress Phylicia Allen Rashad will honor retired HISD educators—husband and wife James and Vivian Harrison—for having a profound impact on her life by recognizing them at a special ceremony in Washington, D. C., on Thursday, July 7.

The event, an evening sponsored by the American Federation of Teachers and the Creative Coalition, will link celebrities with educators whom they feel have contributed greatly to their personal success. The program will begin at 5:30 p.m. and will take place at the Hilton-Washington’s 1919 Grill Restaurant.

Both Vivian and James Harrison are former music teachers. Mrs. Harrison taught Phylicia Allen at HISD’s Turner Elementary School, where Mrs. Ruby L. Thompson served as principal. After completing the sixth grade at Turner, Phylicia enrolled at William E. Miller Junior High School (now HISD’s Contemporary Learning Center) and played the viola in the string orchestra from 1960–1963 under Mr. Harrison.

Phylicia, who excelled in all subjects and graduated from Yates High School in the mid 1960's, exhibited remarkable talent in music. While in the elementary-school choir, she sang harmonic parts beautifully. A versatile student, she was chosen as the narrator for a large HISD musical production at the Sam Houston Coliseum, featuring all elementary-school choirs and orchestras. Along with her exemplary performance in the junior high-school orchestra, she was spotlighted in leading operetta roles produced by the school.

Vivian Harrison, an HISD Teacher of the Year in 1975, later became a classroom teacher, an assistant principal (Walnut Bend Elementary School), and retired as principal of Whidby Elementary School. She traveled in 2003 to the state capitol to receive the prestigious “Heroes for Children” award for her volunteer work in HISD. She now serves as site coordinator for the reading one-to-one program at Thompson Elementary School sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

After Miller Junior High School closed its doors, James Harrison transferred to MacGregor Elementary School, where he served as coordinator and instrumental instructor until his retirement. A jazz aficionado, he professionally plays tromxbone and bass guitar. He performs with La Big Band, a 17-piece orchestra and also serves as leader of the Easy Living Trio, which is composed of semi-retired musicians.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

LOCAL ATTORNEY APPOINTED TO FLORIDA BOARD OF BAR EXAMINERS

By Antoine Davis
Sentinel Staff Writer

The Florida Board of Bar Examiners has a new member. Carolyn House
Stewart has been a lawyer since 1978. She found out late last month
that she would be one of the 12 lawyers on the board.

Stewart is an attorney and shareholder with Macfarlane Ferguson &
McMullen. She received the highest rating available from
Martindale-Hubbell, a rating system that evaluates lawyers in the U.S.
and Canada based on peer review.

The Florida Board of Bar Examiners handles matters of bar admission,
and
helps make sure that people who pass the Florida Bar are competent in
the field of law.

"I'm pleased to be appointed to a position like this. It really is an
honor, and I understand that it also holds a lot of responsibility,"
said Stewart. "I just want to serve this position well, and make sure
the standards are applied so that everyone is given the same
opportunities."

Stewart will serve a five-year tenure on the Florida Board of Bar
Examiners, and have input on topics that include passing rate for the
Florida Bar Examination, and any grievances that may arise among
lawyers
seeking to pass the bar.

"All applicants should have the same opportunities, minorities
included," Stewart said. "Passing the bar has been a difficult thing
for many people, and we want everyone to have the same benefits when
going through tis process of passing the Bar."

Stewart is a life member with the NAACP, and the National Secretary for
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., and a member of the Board of Trustees
with Allen Temple AME Church.

"This is a position of trust, and I will not take it lightly," said
Stewart. "I have been chosen to serve, and I"m going to do that to the
best of my ability."

This soror knows how to throw a great shin-ding @ the conferences. I can't wait until she....
Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
Yates Dedicates Library to 100-Year-Old Former Faculty Member
September 14, 2005

One hundred years is a long time to wait for a birthday present, but for Hazel Hainsworth Young, the honor was definitely worth it.
Young, who turned 100-years-old on September 12, is the last living member of the original faculty at Yates High School, and on Tuesday, September 13, the school named its library in her honor.

I am thrilled, said Young, who attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony with her daughter, Braeburn Elementary School Assistant Principal Marianne Young Walker. I love anything to do with Jack Yates High School, and I know a lot of young people who graduated from here succeeded because they came up reading.

Young encouraged students to take advantage of the library whenever they could. I always told students that reading was the best way to travel, she said. With a book, you can move from one place to another without ever leaving your chair.

A number of HISD administrators and employees were on hand at the celebration to congratulate Young and wish her a happy birthday, including Yates Principal George August and Superintendent of Schools Abelardo Saavedra.

I want to put her long life and her remarkable career in perspective, said Dr. Saavedra at the dedication. Yesterday, Ms. Young celebrated her 100th birthday. That means that when HISD was founded in 1923, she was already in college. A graduate of what is now Booker T. Washington High School, Ms. Young joined the faculty at Jack Yates the moment the paint was dry. She taught here from 1926, when the doors first opened, until 1956, when she became Yates Dean of Girls, and she retired from HISD in 1972.

The superintendent also commended Young for her commitment to HISD schools and specifically, to Yates. She never severed her connection to this school district or to this historic campus, he said, and just this year, Ms. Young led the effort to recruit Yates alumni, Texas Southern University students, and others to volunteer as mentors to current Yates students. By naming this schools library in her honor, we are making sure that her lifetime of dedication and service to this community and its young people will never be forgotten.

Before concluding the ceremony, Regina Carrington, president of the Alpha Kappa Omega Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, along with Gwendolyn Brinkley and Elnora Flewellen of the AKA Education and Charitable Foundation, presented the Principal George August with a check for $12,000 for the purchase of library supplies and equipment. They also presented Young with a copy of Black Texas Women: 150 Years of Trial and Triumph, by Winegarten, Humphrey and Werden, for the school library. The book was published by the University of Texas press in 1995 and makes a reference to her. Young joined Alpha Kappa Alpha in 1922 and cofounded the Houston chapter. Prentice-Hall also donated 500 books written either by or about African Americans to the newly renamed library.

http://www.houstonisd.org/HISD/porta...329432,00.html

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 09-23-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Kudos!

Soror Gwen shoulda been...aw well I'mma leave THAT alone!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

To the sistergreeks of Alpha Kappa Alpha. Your soror and a personal friend of my family has won the Virginia Middle School Principal of the Year and I just got an email from my sister (they were best friends in high school) that she also won National Middle School Principal of the Year. We are so proud of her.

Here is the link on her story on winning the middle school award. I haven't found a link/article yet on her winning the National Title.

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/bi...song093005.asp
Old 10-17-2005, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror Lonnae O'Neal Parker is a journalist for the Washington Post and
has
just written her first book, "I'm Every Woman: Remixed Stories of
Motherhood,
Marriage and Work."

She is a featured author in the November 2005 ESSENCE magazine. She'll
also be visiting Los Angeles, Seattle, Chicago (her home), New York,
Atlanta and Philadelphia for book signings. Check her website at:

http://www.lonnae.com

for the dates.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Parker's book looks VERY interesting. I will be supporting her.

AKA
Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Soror Richardson's daughter is my chapter member.

NAACP BOARD HONORS RUPERT F. RICHARDSON WITH TITLE

PRESIDENT EMERITUS

Board member providing outstanding service to the NAACP at the regional, state, and local levels

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Board of Directors unanimously voted during the October board meeting to name Rupert F. Richardson, former NAACP President, with the title President Emeritus.

From 1992 though 1996 Richardson served as the National President of the Association. In 1996 she relinquished the title of President when the board changed the title of the Executive Director of the Association to President and Chief Executive Officer.

Julian Bond, NAACP Chairman of the Board, said: "Rupert Richardson is more than our longest continuous serving Board member; she is our institutional memory, keeping us true to the faith of our forebears."

Richardson joined the board in 1982. She currently serves as Chairman of the National Health and National Life Membership Committees and sits on the Audit, Advocacy & Policy, Compensation Reimbursement and Units & Membership committees. She is also a member of the Special Contribution Fund (SCF) Board of Trustees.

As a representative of the Association, Richardson has exemplified illustrious service to the NAACP at the regional, state, and local levels. In 1965 Richardson became Education Chair of the NAACP Baton Rouge Branch where she challenged school segregation and served as Louisiana State Conference President from 1981 to 1995. She is President Emeritus of the State Conference.

Richardson has witnessed the definition of civil rights to include human rights and the pursuit of equality for all people. In Louisiana she works on many initiatives related to economic parity, environmental equity, hate crimes, mental health, and addictive disorders.

She has worked extensively with the American Bar Associations Coalition for Justice, Juvenile Justice Delegation, Advisory Board Louisiana School of Welfare and the Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce. Richardson was also a Citizen Ambassador to Europe and Soviet Union, International Director of the DeMerritt Education Foundation in Nassau, Bahamas and is an Advisory Board Member to the U.S. Department of Interior for Restoration of the Mary McLeod Bethune birthplace.

(more)

Page 2 Rupert F. Richardson

Richardsons accomplishments include being listed as Whos Who Among Blacks in America and Whos Who International, Louisiana Citizen of the Year, a Human Rights and 50 Women of Achievement awardee.

Founded in 1909, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is the nations oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its half-million adult and youth members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities and monitor equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.

###

Contact: Mary Wright, NAACP Office of Communications, 410-580-5125

www.naacp.org
Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up My LS

The appointment came on our AKAversary yesterday! How fitting!

More From The Times Picayune

Nagin names new city attorney
She's been assistant in office for 2 years
Friday, December 09, 2005
From staff reports
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has appointed Penya M. Moses-Fields as interim city attorney, effective immediately.

She succeeds former City Attorney Sherry Landry, whose resignation took effect Nov. 30. Landry had been the city's top lawyer for 2 years.

Moses-Fields has been a deputy city attorney since February 2003. She had a special assignment to the Department of Finance, served as a deputy in the administrative division and oversaw the work of assistant city attorneys, Nagin's office said.

"Penya's strength lies in her familiarity with and dedication to the City of New Orleans," Nagin said. "Her leadership skills, as well as her experience working with various departments before and after Hurricane Katrina, make her well-qualified to lead the Law Department at this challenging time."

A graduate of Grambling State University with a degree in accounting, Moses-Fields received her law degree from Loyola University Law School and a master's degree in tax law from Villanova University School of Law.

She worked as an accountant for 12 years and has spent eight years practicing law.

She has been a legal and business management consultant with PMF Consulting LLC, an adjunct professor at Nunez Community College and associate counsel and director of administration at American MetroComm Corp., a telecommunications company.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Lewis' et.al Article

My chapter member sent us this link to an article she and her colleagues had been working on for some time. It has finally been accepted and printed.

Soror, I only edited the link!

Last edited by Ideal08; 02-02-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Abaici

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
A thread just for AKAmplishments!! Please post all of your AKA warm-fuzzies here!
I have a warm fuzzy that I don't mind sharing. We give AKAlades when we see sorors in articles and things of the like. I just wanna shout out a resident soror. No news article, just good ol' sisterhood.

Some MONTHS ago Soror Abaici and I had a random conversation about dreams and goals. I found out that she and I share a similar dream. Ever since that very phirst conversation with her, I've felt immensely inspired. She was further along in her process than I was and it let me know that it COULD be done. I knew that if my soror could do it, so could I.

Fast forward to recently. Out of the blue, she asks me how I'm coming along and shares her progress as well. Soror, you are my inspiration right now!!! Thank you for being such a great sister and friend. Thank you for being so supportive. This is not an easy thing, it's time consuming, it's overwhelming, and sometimes it's even discouraging (and most of this is thought and not action). So KUDOS and AKAlades to you for persevering and not losing sight of your goal!!!!! Whenever I feel like it's just not worth it or maybe I should just do something else, or maybe it's not my calling, or any of those things, I find myself thinking of Soror Abaici and then I simply change my mind.

Soror, thank you for displaying the tenacity and passion that IS Alpha Kappa Alpha, and for reminding me that that same passion and tenacity is alive in me. Thank you simply for being you! Skee-Wee, My Soror, Skee-Wee!!!

(((((Soror Abaici)))))

ETA: I realize this is somewhat vague, but sometimes, even in giving AKAlades, discretion is still key.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

About a month ago, I inquired about attending a particular function Alpha Kappa Alpha was having. Upon contacting a co-worker, she then informed me that she had no tickets. A few days later, another member of Alpha Kappa Alpha called to tell me that I did NOT have to pay for the ticket and it would be on will call. When I got there, I felt like royalty. Not only was she nice, but she introduced me to other members as well.

Ladies, she spoke about how hard they are working to make this one of the BEST conferences that any AKA has seen.
On top of all of that, I recieved an excellent meal, a really nice gift, and heard a wonderful speaker who was also an AKA.

So now, I have two more members to thank. From babe to adult,
it's just another nice thing that a woman of Alpha Kappa Alpha has done for little ol' me.