Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,213
0 members and 1,213 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Star Turtle
Unhappy don't i know it

lol - talking about being all warm and fuzzy - my "first official duty" to put girls on suspension, and send them to PB. after that - i get to "catch up" the files from the last year!

I'm enjoying the challenge right now - this to me is a position that i can bring up a few levels.

I'll keep you posted!

Old 01-10-2002, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it...

Jessica,

Being treasurer is a thankless job. I always felt terrible for our treasurer when I served on executive board. She was constantly trying to smooth over hurt feelings with sisters who had a problem with a fine or other financial issue.

My best advice is to remind the girls upfront that you personally are not responsible for their fines. THEY are! Let them know that you intend to do your job accurately, and that you will not play favorites. Remind them that they made a financial commitment to Delta Zeta when they first pledged and that it is one of 3 major obligations that they agreed to uphold in order to be a sister in good standing.

Lean on your exec members for support if necessary, and vent to them when you have to. That's what they are there for!

Good luck, sweetie!

DZ Love,
Carrie
Old 01-12-2002, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up back to the trivia...

I had thought of a really good one, but while waiting for the puter to boot, i forgot it... anyway, here it goes. what is the name of the column that ran when DZ's historian was the editor of the Lamp? no cheating and looking in the Lamp! ~~ enjoy!
Old 01-13-2002, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi! This is my first post on greekchat, but I have been watching for a couple of months now. I hope I am doing this right! Trivia is definetly my favorite thread on here! In response to the lamp qestion, was It Florence Hood Miners the Lampost column?

My name is Brandi and I was initiated into the Kappa Beta chapter at Northern Kentucky University on March 25 2000.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Hi Brandi! welcome! Brandi is one DZ name I'm used to, we have 3 in our chapter!

and, btw you're right! The Lamppost was the answer.

It's too early in the morning to think of another question right now, but maybe tonight, after the first meeting of the year, I'll have a good one!
Old 01-15-2002, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, welcome Brandi! If you haven't posted anything about yourself in the first thread in this forum, please take a minute to do so. That way, we'll have a current list of all the DZ's on GreekChat.

And, for everyone, here's a new trivia question:

Who was the only Delta Zeta founder to return to campus the year after the sorority was started?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

just a guess

okay, i know i know the answer to this one, but for some reason i can't be sure, so i'm just gonna guess and pray i'm right (i refuse to go and look it up)

Mary Jane Collins?

I know that's not quite right.

oh well -- that's my shot
Old 01-21-2002, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Good try, Star Turtle... but that's not it...

Anyone else want to guess? If not, I'll reveal the answer on Tuesday (1/22).
Old 01-21-2002, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I keep thinking it was Julia, but that's probably not right...I just like her the best.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I keep thinking it was Julia, but that's probably not right...I just like her the best.
Have confidence in your answer, AchtungBaby! You're absolutely right.

From one of our DZ chapter websites:

In the fall of 1903, Julia Bishop was the only founder of Delta Zeta who returned to Miami University. She made friends easily and was admired by everyone on campus. The spirit that is Delta Zeta came from her. She was an idealist as well as scholastically inclined. Rush in 1903 consisted mainly of long buggy rides around Oxford in a horse and buggy driven by Julia. Being the Treasurer, she paid bills from her own pocket.

Julia Bishop was the Founder who was in active service longer and later in life than any of the other six. Thus more Delta Zetas were priviledged to know her, and through her to feel themselves acquainted with the entire group of Founders.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

okay - new question -

uhmmmm

i have no idea - i'll think of one - i swear --

OH! got it! not really trivia but ---

when was your chapter founded?

we can all get this one right!~
Old 01-26-2002, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

chapter founding

My chapter, the Kappa Beta chapter was founded on February 29, 1972 and was installed on April 22, 1972. (I admit, I looked up our founding, I could only remember our installation date.) We are celebrating our 30th anniversary this year. We are proud to be the oldest sorority on campus! We also share our chapter birthday with the Eta Rho chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha.

Also, thanks to everyone who checked out my chapters web site!

Another tid bit of info- We just got grades back and we have the highest cummulative and semester GPA out of all sororities again!! I think we have had the highest GPA now for 2 years (maybe a semester less)! Our GPA is a 3.19!! Sorry had to brag on my sisters!

And, two of our women won Freshmen Homecoming Princess and Sophomore Homecoming Princess! I love Delta Zeta!

Ok, I'll stop bragging now...please forgive me

Brandi
Old 01-27-2002, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Founding

My chapter (Omicron) was founded in 1916. I wish I knew the exact date but forgive me because I am very old, having pledged in 1986!

We are lucky to be one of the few chapters to have been actually installed by a Founder; in our case, Maybelle Minton.

PS Brandi; I'm so happy that your chapter is doing well!

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 01-27-2002 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

It must be amazing to come from a chapter with such a long history! Since my chapter is still a baby chapter (in relation to other DZ chapters) we dont have a lot of traditions, and most of our members couldn't name one chapter founder! It's awesome to see so many chapters still going after so many years.

Brandi
Old 01-28-2002, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Our chapter was founded in 1974, although I can't remember the exact date. (I've been out of school for a while now!)

Brandi - congratulations on your chapter's success. Y'all are really excelling right now! Way to go!

I'm going to brag about my UGA girls for a minute. Their cumulative GPA this past semester was a 3.29. This is wonderful, because academics was something that they have been working hard to strengthen lately -- there's a lot of competition with some other sororities on campus.