GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,180
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,124
2 members and 1,122 guests
buffalogrΣΣk, John

Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Good to know that my idea is not crazy. lol.

I'm thinking of pitching it to our NPC Delegate at Convention (or someone who's willing to listen lol)
You should, it's a fantastic idea! Every time I talk about my experience I mention, more often, my experiences as an alum, because that is where most of my life of ADPi comes from.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a very popular soap actress who had pledged one of the sororities on my campus. So the chapter attained autographed photos, which they mailed to PNMs. Consequences weren't so harsh back then so the chapter was only asked not to do it again.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

An actual conversation I had with a PNM this past year began with her looking around and surveying the other members and making a comment about our blonde/brunette ratio. I thought it was a bit silly but figured she was just nervous. Then she said “I heard that y’all made new members dye their hair blonde to get initiated” –completely ludicrous!
Swapping stories that night revealed several girls got the same question and it was investigated by Rho Gammas. They were able to track it back to members of another sorority. I don’t remember if it resulted in an infraction (we found it pretty funny and even incorporated it into skit day).
As for infractions in general, the tattling gets ridiculous and there’s plenty of false accusations. Someone mentioned infractions for stepping on the public sidewalk – I don’t know if this was also the case but we couldn’t step into the grass in our own front yard (felt like you were walking a tightrope walking girls out) and you couldn’t sing until you were back inside the house.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Campus PHA has the chapter(s) involved in infractions write letters of apology to all the other houses on campus. Is this common practice?

On one hand, I like it, but overall I'm not a fan. Most of the letters are really hasty and awful. (Along the lines of "We are sorry we got a rush infraction. We understand why there are rules and are sorry for breaking them".).

In addition, a few of the younger members of our recruitment committee were shocked by the number of letters. It made them think that everyone on campus was dirty rushing. It took us a few weeks to convince them that this was not the case and even longer to convince them that we still weren't allowed to break any rules.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Our Campus PHA has the chapter(s) involved in infractions write letters of apology to all the other houses on campus. Is this common practice?

On one hand, I like it, but overall I'm not a fan. Most of the letters are really hasty and awful. (Along the lines of "We are sorry we got a rush infraction. We understand why there are rules and are sorry for breaking them".).

In addition, a few of the younger members of our recruitment committee were shocked by the number of letters. It made them think that everyone on campus was dirty rushing. It took us a few weeks to convince them that this was not the case and even longer to convince them that we still weren't allowed to break any rules.
For one infraction (out of the gazillion) a member went around to all the houses during chapter and apologized. She literally said those exact same words. It was kind of a joke. I wish I could tell all the infraction stories from the past two years. Dirty rushing has been the cause of way too many tears and problems on my campus.

"To see beauty even in the common things of life..."
Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
THIS.

Nowadays, we have skit day, sisterhood day, go Greek day, etc. during recruitment.

I have a really crazy idea.

I would absolutely LOVE for NPC to move toward having Panhellenics include an "Alumnae Life" or "XYZ After college" day into recruitment.

Just as you learn about the house in House Tour Day, or the philanthropy on Philanthropy Day, have a day where you discuss life in XYZ sorority AFTER college.

Have some alumnae from your nearest alumna chapter come talk about their chapter activities, a regional staffer come talk about her experiences, etc.

Just as we showcase our homes, activities, philanthropies, etc. during recruitment, we need to showcase the lifetime commitment that our orgs are.

We have alumnae life included in our NM ed sequence and in the senior sequence of our member ed program, but it would be nice to start out with recruitment so PNMs know before getting involved that it is for life.

I honestly think this is an idea worth sending to the NPC. IIRC, I was once told that was why Prefs used to be held at the home of an alumna. I have also been to many recruitment parties where all of the alumnae were introduced, so that the PNMs could see the lifetime advantage. FWIW, the year I was Greek Alumna of the Year, PNMs were asking me left and right about why I would be so interested after I was out of school. Well, in my case, it was because "I believe in Alpha Delta Pi" and the rest of the Creed. But I'm sure each GLO could do it in the way they wanted.

Go Joc!!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I honestly think this is an idea worth sending to the NPC. IIRC, I was once told that was why Prefs used to be held at the home of an alumna. I have also been to many recruitment parties where all of the alumnae were introduced, so that the PNMs could see the lifetime advantage. FWIW, the year I was Greek Alumna of the Year, PNMs were asking me left and right about why I would be so interested after I was out of school. Well, in my case, it was because "I believe in Alpha Delta Pi" and the rest of the Creed. But I'm sure each GLO could do it in the way they wanted.

Go Joc!!
I know why they stopped having Pref parties off campus at alumnae houses, but I thought it was really a nice touch. It really did show that membership extended beyond the college years. Our AOII party was actually at a house in Monroe that was even willed to us for our use during Prefs every year after the alumna's death. While she was alive, she sat at a window seat above the garden and watched the PNMs as they were introduced to the AOII sisters lined up around her manicured lawn below.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
THIS.

Nowadays, we have skit day, sisterhood day, go Greek day, etc. during recruitment.

I would absolutely LOVE for NPC to move toward having Panhellenics include an "Alumnae Life" or "XYZ After college" day into recruitment.

Just as you learn about the house in House Tour Day, or the philanthropy on Philanthropy Day, have a day where you discuss life in XYZ sorority AFTER college.

Have some alumnae from your nearest alumna chapter come talk about their chapter activities, a regional staffer come talk about her experiences, etc.

Just as we showcase our homes, activities, philanthropies, etc. during recruitment, we need to showcase the lifetime commitment that our orgs are.

We have alumnae life included in our NM ed sequence and in the senior sequence of our member ed program, but it would be nice to start out with recruitment so PNMs know before getting involved that it is for life.

what a great idea! please DO pass this on to a "power that be."
Old 06-24-2010, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
THIS.

Since so many of us think this is such a great idea, we should all encourage our NPC delegates to contact NPC with the idea and explain the benefits of it.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Since so many of us think this is such a great idea, we should all encourage our NPC delegates to contact NPC with the idea and explain the benefits of it.
Another good idea!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The down side might be that chapters' alumna support can vary, and it's not the fault of the collegiate members.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
The down side might be that chapters' alumna support can vary, and it's not the fault of the collegiate members.
But how you present this part can vary. You don't have to parade a line of alumnae to show that membership has its advantages beyond college. Some chapters may not be excited about showing off the alums they have (I know some superficial groups that don't like their old fat alums showing their faces to PNMs! ) Making a whole day focus on lifetime involvement during recruitment will demonstrate how important the concept is by putting it out in front.

AOII

Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a Recruitment counselor we basically told the chapters that they better damn well avoid turning in bogus or ridiculous infractions. We have a rule that within the town during recruitment sorority members have to have a button on identifying them as greek...obviously, the buttons will occasionally fall off or get left behind and this was the most common waste of time infraction turned in. We just told them it would look better to PNM's if they could muster up some Panhellenic spirit and spend more time recruiting than watching each other.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Some chapters may not be excited about showing off the alums they have (I know some superficial groups that don't like their old fat alums showing their faces to PNMs! )
If you're not fat, you're wrinkly. Pick your poison. LOL.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you're not fat, you're wrinkly. Pick your poison. LOL.
I'll choose fat since you get to have fun getting there!

AOII