GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,221
2 members and 1,219 guests
TLLK

Old 09-08-2023, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi will be colonizing at Penn State.

https://www.instagram.com/saepi.happyvalley/

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story

Last edited by Cookiez17; 09-09-2023 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Small correction
Old 09-08-2023, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanderson View Post
Delta Phi Epsilon colonizing at Ursinus College.
They have a few locals there, is one affiliating with DPhiE?

I found this interesting, here's the history of greek life at Ursinus College. Many locals formed and closed over time, a few are still active.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timel...m=2&height=650
Old 09-10-2023, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

While I see the job posting for a Pre-Charter Consultant for DPhiE at Ursinus, I'd like to see the official notification or where the OP found this. I am an active alumni, and a Greek alumna from UC, and I've spoken with a few folks (administration and current students) and this has not been discussed or made widely known. Knowing how much work went into bringing the current National Organizations to campus, there's no way they are going to charter a new organization that no one knows about.

I would be very hard pressed to see a new organization on this campus with the numbers of some of the organizations. If anything, I would think one of the former locals would have a better chance of coming back, or a group of women could effectively "take over" one of the current locals. The existing locals are between 80-105 years old and very strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
They have a few locals there, is one affiliating with DPhiE?

I found this interesting, here's the history of greek life at Ursinus College. Many locals formed and closed over time, a few are still active.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timel...m=2&height=650
Old 09-11-2023, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

The Mu Omicron chapter of the Phi Mu Delta national fraternity at Frostburg State University has been awarded the university chapter excellence award.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of Vermont announces that the Nu Gamma chapter of the Phi Mu Delta national fraternity has received 60 university awards since 2019.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The reestablishing Kappa Delta chapter at Texas Christian University has 129 members in their founding class!

To Bind. To Strive. To Aid.

Missouri S&T
Old 09-12-2023, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKells View Post
The reestablishing Kappa Delta chapter at Texas Christian University has 129 members in their founding class!
I saw a post of other sororities within the TCU community welcoming the new members, along with other KD chapters helping out with recruitment. Super happy with the new members of Kappa Delta!

Since 1888

Old 09-13-2023, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta has been disestablished at the University of Rochester.

https://www.kappaalphatheta.org/heri...s/theta-lambda

They are also no longer listed as an organization on the University of Rochester's NPC page.

Since 1888

Old 09-13-2023, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta has been disestablished at the University of Rochester.

https://www.kappaalphatheta.org/heri...s/theta-lambda

They are also no longer listed as an organization on the University of Rochester's NPC page.
Sounds better than closed
Old 09-19-2023, 08:19 AM

Sigma Chi has closed at Pennsylvania Western University-Clarion. Closure is due to low membership numbers.

This leaves PennWest-Clarion with one IFC chapter.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 09-19-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
And trust me when I say, NOBODY involved with PennWest gives a rats ass about greek life. They'd be just fine with them going away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Sigma Chi has closed at Pennsylvania Western University-Clarion. Closure is due to low membership numbers.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

The remaining IFC chapter has 4 members.

How is it that there are 5 NPC organizations but one IFC chapter? It would be interesting to know the membership# for the NPC organizations.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:52 PM

I don't know exact membership numbers for all the organizations, but the average sorority has around 20 members.

10 years ago, Clarion had over 6,000 undergraduate students. Today, they have around 3,900. Of those 3,900, about 2,600 are full-time students. Over 70% of the students are women. The acceptance rate at Clarion has risen to 99%.

This is why the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education consolidated these smaller schools under umbrella universities. (PennWest, Commonwealth, etc.) The smaller schools don't have the resources to function has a full-on university, but combined, they do. It's a sad situation for PASSHE for sure.

Quote:

How is it that there are 5 NPC organizations but one IFC chapter? It would be interesting to know the membership# for the NPC organizations.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:

They’re in the 20s or 30s I think. It’s never been the type of campus where the Greek system is contained, ie you don’t have to be Greek to go to Greek parties and vice versa.

When I was a student there in the 80s we had 10 IFC fraternities (not counting the underground group and Pershing Rifles who basically functioned as a fraternity) and 7 NPC sororities. It started going downhill in the 90s with a very unfriendly President who was more concerned with buildings than student life and has basically never recovered. The fact that on campus housing is compulsory for the first two years, and is expensive, pretty much has put a dagger through Greek life.

This closure truly sucks. The alumni who helped the chapter get restarted were in school with me and are some of the best guys in the world, who embody the meaning of fraternity.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:39 PM

Sadly, per the last Greek Life Report in 2021, Sigma Chi had 8 active members and Sig Ep had 4 members.

The sororities are a bit better off:

DPhiE - 32
DZ - 26
Phi Sig - 25
Tri Sig - 22
Zeta - 29

The drops in enrollment don't help an already disconnected Greek system for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
They’re in the 20s or 30s I think. It’s never been the type of campus where the Greek system is contained, ie you don’t have to be Greek to go to Greek parties and vice versa.

When I was a student there in the 80s we had 10 IFC fraternities (not counting the underground group and Pershing Rifles who basically functioned as a fraternity) and 7 NPC sororities. It started going downhill in the 90s with a very unfriendly President who was more concerned with buildings than student life and has basically never recovered. The fact that on campus housing is compulsory for the first two years, and is expensive, pretty much has put a dagger through Greek life.

This closure truly sucks. The alumni who helped the chapter get restarted were in school with me and are some of the best guys in the world, who embody the meaning of fraternity.