GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,263
4 members and 1,259 guests
DGTess, John

Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I think the GPA scenario is extremely likely in this case. This thread was so poorly written that it was almost incomprehensible. Sorry to be mean, but I can't believe this poster even was in college.
ouch.

Irishpipes and Lyrelyre,

Would you say something similar in public in real life? Wouldn't it just seem unnecessarily hurtful and insulting?

Even if we did rank the quality of recruitment threads, it wouldn't seem to me that we would directly insult the intelligence of the writer as you all did here.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 06-18-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Putting two posts together. I wanted to quote the post I was commenting on.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alphagamphi
Sorry my writing is not up to your expectations. I graduated high school with a 3.8 gpa and was diagnosed with a learning disability when I was in elementry school. I also graduated college with a decent gpa and went on to grad school. Thanks so much.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Irishpipes and Lyrelyre,

Would you say something similar in public in real life? Wouldn't it just seem unnecessarily hurtful and insulting?

Even if we did rank the quality of recruitment threads, it wouldn't seem to be that we would directly insult the intelligence of the writer as you all did here.
Quote:
ouch.
Ok, you're just looking for things to complain about, since you feel the need to complain about the same post twice in a row.

Go ahead, be offended and quit AGD because they cut your fictional legacy. I'm done.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
Perhaps editing your posts would make the story clearer.
This is a good suggestion. Especially with retro-recruitment threads, choosing how you are going to tell the story, like Low C Sharp, DGDramadawg, and Irishpipes seemed to, is really important to the overall quality because you can shape the story so much with great detail and your connection to each chapter. You've got the benefit of hindsight in terms of knowing why things may have gone down the way they did.

I salute all you retro recruitment thread writers!
It was fun to read them all!

Last edited by UGAalum94; 06-18-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: misplaced commas and hindsight misspelling
Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Irishpipes and Lyrelyre,

Even if we did rank the quality of recruitment threads, it wouldn't seem to be that we would directly insult the intelligence of the writer as you all did here.
I never suggested ranking threads. The recruitment stories are fun and interesting, even when there are errors here and there. This one truly was nearly impossible to follow, largely because of the unbelievably poor spelling and grammar. Sure, everybody makes errors and typos, but my 3rd grade son could have written sentences more accurately than those. I am not usually one of the snarky girls, but I truly wonder if this girl is in college.

And yes, to answer your question, if I met this poster in real life, I would kindly suggest that she refrain from writing publicly until her skills are more refined. May I add that the writer insulted her own intelligence by writing so poorly. She cannot complain that she was unfairly criticized, when she was 100% responsible for the quality of the product that she generated. If she wants a more favorable response, she should present herself in a more favorable light. If she is an educated person, she should write like one.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for sharing your story!

As to the issue of legacies - my collegiate chapter advisor had a daughter who went to the same school as she had - but went Chi Omega. I don't know the details, but I do know that Sylvia loved Gamma Phi for what it had meant for her, and she was an active Chi Omega mom because of what it meant to her daughter.
I love Gamma Phi Beta as an organization, and should a few collegiate members decide, for whatever reason, that my daughter would not be a good fit, I would still love Gamma Phi. I'd be an active mom to whatever org my daughter were to join.
I don't know what caused Gamma Phi to institute the policy they have, but it seems to me to be the one most respectful of a PNM's privacy, and it also takes a burden off of the chapter. I do think a chapter should write a note to ANYONE who writes a rec, especially a member who sends a legacy rec.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I never suggested ranking threads. The recruitment stories are fun and interesting, even when there are errors here and there. This one truly was nearly impossible to follow, largely because of the unbelievably poor spelling and grammar. Sure, everybody makes errors and typos, but my 3rd grade son could have written sentences more accurately than those. I am not usually one of the snarky girls, but I truly wonder if this girl is in college.

And yes, to answer your question, if I met this poster in real life, I would kindly suggest that she refrain from writing publicly until her skills are more refined. May I add that the writer insulted her own intelligence by writing so poorly. She cannot complain that she was unfairly criticized, when she was 100% responsible for the quality of the product that she generated. If she wants a more favorable response, she should present herself in a more favorable light. If she is an educated person, she should write like one.
The difference, I guess, is that in real life you'd make an effort to do it kindly.

It just seemed unnecessarily harsh and kind of uncalled for, in my opinion, to post a public post to that effect, and kind of out of character for you.

Sorry for the crabbiness on my part.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ouch.

Irishpipes and Lyrelyre,

Even if we did rank the quality of recruitment threads, it wouldn't seem to me that we would directly insult the intelligence of the writer as you all did here.
I would, in fact, tell one that his or her writing had multiple errors and was difficult (or impossible) to follow. It would be insincere to read it and let them believe that it was adequate for the intended purpose. Here, the posts were meant to convey her recruitment experience. Whereas I could not follow them very well, it is not surprising that I would not disagree with someone who brought that to the poster’s attention.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Thanks for sharing your story!

I love Gamma Phi Beta as an organization, and should a few collegiate members decide, for whatever reason, that my daughter would not be a good fit, I would still love Gamma Phi. I'd be an active mom to whatever org my daughter were to join.
I don't know what caused Gamma Phi to institute the policy they have, but it seems to me to be the one most respectful of a PNM's privacy, and it also takes a burden off of the chapter. I do think a chapter should write a note to ANYONE who writes a rec, especially a member who sends a legacy rec.
I agree about the follow up notes completely, and maybe they would accomplish all that the phone call could.

I tried to emphasize in my comments that what one chapter did would only affect my feelings about that chapter. I would still hold high regard for the organization itself, I think.

I admire your conviction that you could still serve the very chapter that had cut your legacy. I really don't think I could, but maybe I AM petty in this regard.

Cutting legacies represents what seems to me to be a potentially very hurtful act (really, it only matters if the girl wants the group), and I hope that all undergraduate chapters really think it through.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The difference, I guess, is that in real life you'd make an effort to do it kindly.

It just seemed unnecessarily harsh and kind of uncalled for, in my opinion, to post a public post to that effect, and kind of out of character for you.

Sorry for the crabbiness on my part.
I was less kind than I could have been because I was half convinced she was a troll. In real life, I would know she wasn't.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrelyre View Post
I would, in fact, tell one that his or her writing had multiple errors and was difficult (or impossible) to follow. It would be insincere to read it and let them believe that it was adequate for the intended purpose. Here, the posts were meant to convey her recruitment experience. Whereas I could not follow them very well, it is not surprising that I would not disagree with someone who brought that to the poster’s attention.
Okay, but again, I think you'd have gone about it differently, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think sometimes we forget, especially with new posters, that they are actual people who have feeling that can be hurt. We can, as I've seen people do in the past, try to put the blame on them for our rudeness by claiming that they should have researched what they were posting more. Ultimately, though, I don't think that justifies our rudeness.

I really don't think you, based on other posts I've read, really are the kind of person who would second someone else's public insult. You and Irishpipes might offer constructive criticism, but I can't really imagine that you both would stand in front of a group and tell someone that based on what you had read, her writing was so poor that she probably didn't have the minimum GPA to rush or even be in college.

It's kind of hard to imagine anyone doing it.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was less kind than I could have been because I was half convinced she was a troll. In real life, I would know she wasn't.
Yeah, I can see why trolls and sockpuppets would get different treatment, but I would have personally erred on the side of her being a real poster.

I guess that's one of the contributing elements in how new posters are treated. People don't accept the sincerity of the posts.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you feeling a void in GC and feel the need to fill it by being the new TOS Police?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Me?

No. I don't think people should be required to be nice, but it seems to me that an effort at kindness makes things more pleasant and often makes it more likely that your concerns will be addressed.

Not always though.

I'm curious about something unrelated to this thread, and in no way is this an insult or attack. (I think it was the void on GreekChat comment that trigger the thought.) I'm on summer vacation right now so I can post whenever and even when I'm not on vacation I may read and post every evening, but it seems to me that you are on here all the time. What field are you in that you are able to do so?

Again, this isn't a "you have no life" comment. No one who checks in as frequently as I do could dare make that kind of accusation.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm curious about something unrelated to this thread, and in no way is this an insult or attack. (I think it was the void on GreekChat comment that trigger the thought.) I'm on summer vacation right now so I can post whenever and even when I'm not on vacation I may read and post every evening, but it seems to me that you are on here all the time. What field are you in that you are able to do so?
I'm a bookkeeper/office manager for a smaller contracting business. I flip back and forth between this and Quickbooks. ADD that I am, it's easier to keep 2-3 things going and flip between. If I try staying on one task for a long period of time I get frustrated.