GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,068
0 members and 1,068 guests
No Members online

Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Mcp,

Did you have a pledge ritual and go through your six months of pledging and then have your Ritualnof Jewels? The RoJ is your initiation for BSP!

Like everyone has said, enjoy BSP for what it is, a different kind of sorority. BSP is not a collegiate sorority, however if you want to go that way, GET IN TOUCH with the few collegiate chapters ASAP. Some of them do well and can give you some pointers. But remember, BSP gives you opportunities that a collegiate sorority does not, ability to recruit from outside of the school and grad students etc!

You are doing great, keep moving! Remember the love you feel for your sisters and think about how they're looking up to you!

Definitely get an advisor from an older chapter, they will be a huge help, especially during ritual, maybe even buy you supplies!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

So, I wanted to update....it's been just over a month since we were chartered, and we're having a ball being Nevada Nu.

The chapter decided to keep trying to pursue campus recognition. We've made connections with the other orgs on campus, and even participated in a Philanthropy event with one of the other organizations, have had socials, philanthropy events, a fundraiser, a few road trips and are planning our formal for Founder's Day on April 30th. We're having a blast and I am so very happy being a sorority member. It's everything that I've hoped and everything I've dreamed it would be.

After a month, we decided the following:

A. Our school says that since our National Org is not an IRS 501 c 3 organization, we would be unable to exist as a sorority on campus without it. We are beginning the process to apply for that 501 c 3 immediately for our chapter....with no guarantees that we will receive it. Hopefully, this will pan out. Although it is looking like the process may still continue past when about half our student members graduate....we'd still like to put forth the effort knowing that we tried every avenue possible.

2. We ended up forming a co-ed student social club organization called "Beta Budds" that pursues the values exemplified by Beta Sigma Phi.

Half of the Beta Budds are sisters of Beta Sigma Phi. We also have members of Beta Budds who are not interested in becoming members of Beta Sigma Phi, but appreciate the values that the sorority stands for in its open motto.

So, we have two distinct organizations that are going on: Beta Sigma Phi- Nevada Nu Chapter that will go about its usual business, albeit off campus and Beta Budds that will be an way for us to organize as a group, along with other like minded students and serve and socialize on campus in an official capacity. Not the most ideal situation, but it is an acceptable one for both sides.

We made contact with the Beta Sigma Phi- Reno/Sparks City Council, and they have been wonderful with us and we are planning to join the council. They ended up hosting and conducting our pledge ritual, and had a lovely reception afterward for us. Our Vice President said to me "I hope that we'll be as cool as they are when I'm older!" Indeed. I really like them too.

I'll keep this thread updated as the saga continues. Either way, I think that things are going fine.

On another topic, I was approached by several women recently and asked to consider going through NPC recruitment again in the fall. After what happened last fall, I am a bit wary...but am willing to give the idea a fair amount of proper consideration.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Seeing what you've done with a ground-up organization, your age may seem less important than your leadership skills. It's too bad they didn't see your value sooner!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
On another topic, I was approached by several women recently and asked to consider going through NPC recruitment again in the fall. After what happened last fall, I am a bit wary...but am willing to give the idea a fair amount of proper consideration.
I'm wondering, with all the proclamations similar to "It's everything that I've hoped and everything I've dreamed it would be", would you go through formal recruitment again?

What would you do if you received a bid to an NPC sorority?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Seeing what you've done with a ground-up organization, your age may seem less important than your leadership skills. It's too bad they didn't see your value sooner!
Congratulations! You really are a go-getter. Speaking of leadership skills, what office do you hold in your new chapter?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see any harm in re-rushing. You've made a name for yourself on campus and have some Greek friends. At worst, it doesn't work out.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I'm wondering, with all the proclamations similar to "It's everything that I've hoped and everything I've dreamed it would be", would you go through formal recruitment again?

What would you do if you received a bid to an NPC sorority?
Honest answer: If I received a bid, I would accept it. The suggestion came from out of nowhere, and since I know that Greeks from my school do read my posts on GC and know exactly who I am, all I will say is that I will consider the suggestion to consider going through recruitment this fall carefully, and if I do make the decision to go through....I would accept a bid if I were to receive one.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascination View Post
Congratulations! You really are a go-getter. Speaking of leadership skills, what office do you hold in your new chapter?
I am corresponding secretary and philanthropy chair.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's unfortunate that they can't jump ahead and accept you through informal. That would seem like the wiser move. If they have space that is.

And of course, we've had the discussion many times that the rabid interest of one or two members doesn't necessarily translate to the interest of the entire group.

On a separate note I like that you are not president. It not only alleviates some of your pressure but allows someone else to step up right away. Good for you for being strong enough to give up the reins.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

When I saw that you are corresponding secretary, I also thought it was a really smart move. Someone who is a little less emotionally involved can handle the often stressful and sometimes thankless presidency, and in a brand new chapter, communication is so important. As corresponding secretary, you are actually the primary ambassador for your chapter to the community and to your international headquarters. Because you've been researching and planning before Nevada Nu even existed, I imagine that you are the most informed member and better able to communicate what BSP is to others.

I'm proud of you.
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
Devil's advocate:

They may be saying this because they see a new organization as a threat, and hope that enticing one of its main organizers (who has made obvious her true desire for NPC membership) to push it to the side - which is what will happen if you join an NPC - will cause it to flop before it even gets off the ground.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Devil's advocate:

They may be saying this because they see a new organization as a threat, and hope that enticing one of its main organizers (who has made obvious her true desire for NPC membership) to push it to the side - which is what will happen if you join an NPC - will cause it to flop before it even gets off the ground.
33girl, as always you are a realist. Thank you for saying what others (I'm sure) would have wanted to say as well.

I've decided to NOT go through recruitment.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Really? I don't see how a student organization which one can join in addition to NPC membership would be a "threat." If that were the case, no one would ever join groups like Alpha Phi Omega, Hillel, etc. We all encourage our members to be involved in organizations outside of the sorority, and it's considered a bragging right to recruit members who are active campus leaders. Maybe your Greek friends are encouraging you to rerush because you've developed some Greek connections among sororities (whereas you didn't have that as a transfer last year) and you've demonstrated you're an organizer and a leader who would be a chapter asset.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

It's almost exclusively a matter of available time why I don't see myself as re-rushing at this time. If things do change, I will consider going through recruitment.

I simply see it as more prudent from where I stand at this point in time to make sure that I have adequate amounts of time to give my full attention to what I'm already hatching in my basket, rather than adding an additional egg at this time.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Really? I don't see how a student organization which one can join in addition to NPC membership would be a "threat." If that were the case, no one would ever join groups like Alpha Phi Omega, Hillel, etc. We all encourage our members to be involved in organizations outside of the sorority, and it's considered a bragging right to recruit members who are active campus leaders. Maybe your Greek friends are encouraging you to rerush because you've developed some Greek connections among sororities (whereas you didn't have that as a transfer last year) and you've demonstrated you're an organizer and a leader who would be a chapter asset.
They're a (co-ed on paper but in actual practice single-sex) social club/sorority. Alpha Phi Omega is a co-ed service fraternity. Obviously the former is a greater threat to NPC sororities than the latter.

And I fail to see what Hillel has to do with any of the above mentioned groups.

In other words, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Xi Phi View Post
Even though one could very well be in a social sorority and BSP, chances are on most campuses one wouldn't do both unless the non-NPC org had a "hook" - like music (SAI), service (OPA), or another field of study.
BSP doesn't have a "hook." It's a purely social group.