GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,570
1 members and 1,569 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it would be different if people were instilled with some sort of common courtesy and respect for other peoples feelings from a young age but unfortunately its not 1950 anymore.

And good for the stripper. As long as she doesn't fall into the "dark" side of stripping that you hear about. I have a few friends who work at places such as Hooters and I have absolutely nothing against it what so ever. They do it for the money, now some girls do it for other reasons but it can be good money. I guess you have to do what you have to sometimes.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately not everyone is. A lot of people still are though, so I take the rude ones with a grain of salt. For every rude customer I've ever interacted with, I've had plenty of positive customer interactions as well.

I agree that you definitely have to do what you have to do. Money is money, as far as I'm concerned--regardless of where it comes from. She was quite the character, though.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbubbles View Post
I agree that you definitely have to do what you have to do. Money is money, as far as I'm concerned--regardless of where it comes from. She was quite the character, though.
Whats funny is those are the types I tend to appreciate most. They're individuals and they usually have manners. Those and just genuinely nice people.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I have worked doing retail customer service; when I was in high school, I worked at the mall's customer service desk, then in college I was customer service for a Dillard's here in Cary.

First...I'm going by the store's policy for returns so you can get pissed at me all you want, but unless I get permission from the manager, I'm not budging. It's not me, its the store.

Second...be nice to those who are gift wrapping for you, particularly when you're paying for it to be wrapped. To be honest, I was snickering in the back because you're too lazy to wrap your own gifts.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago88 View Post
Whats funny is those are the types I tend to appreciate most. They're individuals and they usually have manners. Those and just genuinely nice people.
I love the characters too. Many of them turn into repeat customers and it's always fun to hear any new stories they have when they come in the next time.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Retail definitely taught me to be a friendlier person. I worked at a Gap on Long Island during the holidays for two years - your won't meet ruder people.

Like GammaPhi88, I had a Dwight Schrute boss - two, actually. Most of our managers were really cool, but our store manager and one of the other managers lived and breathed Gap. It was grating.

On the other hand, I'll complain all day about the sickening "corporateness" of working for Gao, but I can't deny that the employee discount was fantastic.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I've never worked retail or anything like that but, I'm never rude to someone who is working retail. I mean, I wouldn't want anyone to be rude to me if I did work retail.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Retail definitely taught me to be a friendlier person. I worked at a Gap on Long Island during the holidays for two years - your won't meet ruder people.

Like GammaPhi88, I had a Dwight Schrute boss - two, actually. Most of our managers were really cool, but our store manager and one of the other managers lived and breathed Gap. It was grating.

On the other hand, I'll complain all day about the sickening "corporateness" of working for Gao, but I can't deny that the employee discount was fantastic.
I was driven crazy by the "corporateness" at Justice, too. (Owned by The Limited...basically a Limited Too for even younger girls with slightly cheaper items and a lot more Hannah Montana and High School Musical).

I learned every song stupid Miley Cyrus ever sang (at that time...pre skank phase) and every HSM song. I hate musicals. They'd tell us at the beginning of the day (I always opened) what items to push and it was almost always in one of those two categories, which meant to sell well I had to be able to talk about them. Gag.

I DID get into one fantastic conversation with a 6 year old about Harry Potter one day, though. I'm really not that great with kids, but this one liked me for some reason and followed me around talking about Harry Potter. Her grandfather was shopping for her and her sister and was very nice, offering to make her sit with him and let me work but this was the one time I didn't mind babysitting, so I let her tag along and we talked HP while I folded clothes. (I also thanked the grandad for being so nice and responsible since most of the Hoover moms...which made up the majority of our shoppers...let their children throw things, grab stuff off of the tables and leave it, etc. while mom word vomits into her cell about how her tacky three inch nails weren't done exactly to her specifications...shudder.)

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Well, I've never worked retail or anything like that but, I'm never rude to someone who is working retail. I mean, I wouldn't want anyone to be rude to me if I did work retail.
I wish more people were like this. I think that sometimes people don't often think that common courtesy extends to minimum wage workers while they're in service mode.

On the note of lack of courtesy, a customer yelled at me today and called me a horrible employee because her coupon wouldn't discount an electric when the coupon clearly said "EXCLUDES ELECTRICS/ELECTRONICS" in big letters. She said I should "be ashamed" of my "poor performance and stupidity." So apparently the measure of an employee's intelligence is based on customers ignoring or not reading noted exclusions.

Our computers were also down so we couldn't check our system for anything... I did get to work an extra hour because our lines were horrendous, though. I'm trying to decide if I'm happy or upset about that. I got paid more, but I had to deal with the inappropriate insult to my intelligence that wouldn't have happened if I was off on time. Rather me than someone else, I guess.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbubbles View Post
I wish more people were like this. I think that sometimes people don't often think that common courtesy extends to minimum wage workers while they're in service mode.

On the note of lack of courtesy, a customer yelled at me today and called me a horrible employee because her coupon wouldn't discount an electric when the coupon clearly said "EXCLUDES ELECTRICS/ELECTRONICS" in big letters. She said I should "be ashamed" of my "poor performance and stupidity." So apparently the measure of an employee's intelligence is based on customers ignoring or not reading noted exclusions.

Our computers were also down so we couldn't check our system for anything... I did get to work an extra hour because our lines were horrendous, though. I'm trying to decide if I'm happy or upset about that. I got paid more, but I had to deal with the inappropriate insult to my intelligence that wouldn't have happened if I was off on time. Rather me than someone else, I guess.
Yep. It's just that a lot of people think because someone works a retail job that they can mistreat them. How would that customer like it if someone talked to them like that? I wouldn't like it if someone treated me that way so, I'm not going to treat others that way.

I also believe in Karma, so that customer who was rude to you will get it back. Don't let anyone make you feel that way, because you're not. Funny thing is you're probably more educated and intelligent than most of the morons who think they can insult your intelligence. Just say okay and ignore them. Getting into any discussions with assholes and rude people isn't worth it.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
I get that you look down on people who work retail, but since you've never worked retail, why would you post over here? I'm not trying to be a dick, but why?
As I said in my earlier post-I have never worked retail but a lot of what I do is similar and same will go for cheerfulgreek if she enters private practice. People are just as nasty and rude. Didn't know this was an exclusive thread BTW I am not trying to be a b&^ch.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieAXO View Post
As I said in my earlier post-I have never worked retail but a lot of what I do is similar and same will go for cheerfulgreek if she enters private practice. People are just as nasty and rude. Didn't know this was an exclusive thread BTW I am not trying to be a b&^ch.
lol
I love you!
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I've worked in both retail and food service and honestly, my retail experience hasn't been that bad. I was hired in as holiday help for Winter 2009 and ended up staying on in a limited capacity through the year up to the present. My coworkers and managers are pretty much all really fantastic (except one manager who just doesn't like me...I don't know why. I think shes always kinda bitchy to everyone, but just kicks it up a notch for me. Even so, I like her wayyyyyyy better than some of my coworkers at my food service job.). I always ask a ton of questions and they are always patient with me. I don't even have any customer horror stories that come to mind. It may have to do with the location I'm at; we are in a smaller, 'upper class' (not really) mall so maybe we just have the right type of people who shop with us. I guess I've just been fortunate with my retail experiences...Although its been more than made up for on the food service side.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

SantaClaus, your signature creeps me out.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Yep. It's just that a lot of people think because someone works a retail job that they can mistreat them. How would that customer like it if someone talked to them like that? I wouldn't like it if someone treated me that way so, I'm not going to treat others that way.

I also believe in Karma, so that customer who was rude to you will get it back. Don't let anyone make you feel that way, because you're not. Funny thing is you're probably more educated and intelligent than most of the morons who think they can insult your intelligence. Just say okay and ignore them. Getting into any discussions with assholes and rude people isn't worth it.
That's how I always figure it to. I hate people being rude to me, so why be rude to them? They're just doing their job. Although I had an experience with rude employees at a chain store today when I wasn't rude to them at all. It's just not my day in the retail world, apparently, haha...

I apologized, but otherwise there's not much I can do. She huffed out without buying anything, so I just kind of dropped it and went to help the other thirty people in line. It's frustrating, but I pretty much just roll with the punches.