Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,085
3 members and 1,082 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I am curious as to why we are choosing such small schools to colonize? Logically, I would assume that smaller schools require less cost to start up. However, you have fewer members to become alumni and support the organization later. I think re-opening dormant chapters is a good idea whenever possible, you have an interested alumni base to help out financially and physically.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I am curious as to why we are choosing such small schools to colonize? Logically, I would assume that smaller schools require less cost to start up. However, you have fewer members to become alumni and support the organization later. I think re-opening dormant chapters is a good idea whenever possible, you have an interested alumni base to help out financially and physically.
Clemson isn't a small school.

There are MANY sororities electing not to even show interest in some really great schools available for expansion (U of Arkansas being the prime example) just because the start up cost is so enormous nowadays and the blowback if the chapter isn't a complete hit (not just doing well, but better than well) can potentially cripple a whole organization.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Clemson is not a small school but it only has 11 sororities and if I remember correctly, the campus does not have sorority houses. Can someone from the area confirm that? Lately the trend seems to be colonizing at campuses where housing is NOT required or the university will provide a suite or room block in a dorm for the Greek organization. Obviously, there is a lower cost to national when housing is not an issue. But I love history and would love to see some of the single letter dormant chapters re-opened. I know how happy AGD must have been when they re-colonized their Alpha chapter at Syracuse. I know we cannot re-open Alpha, Beta and Gamma since Colby College does not allow Greeks. I met someone on trip who went to Colby and said there are buildings on campus named after the founders. He said that everyone on campus is very well aware that Sigma Kappa was created there.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi (1915-1930?) - Stanford University
Sigma (1917-1964?) - Southern Methodist University (Texas)
Tau (1918-1994) - Indiana University
Upsilon (1918) - Oregon State University
Chi (1919-1998?) - Ohio State University
Psi (1919-1958?) - University of Wisconsin
Omega (1920-1999) - Florida State University

I wish Sigma Kappa could eventually re-establish these single letter chapters. sigh...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Clemson

Clemson currently has 11 chapters, but they are looking to expand more in the next few years. Total is currently 140, and the average chapter size is 170 plus. The Sigma Kappa chapter there is doing very well, but is just a couple of years old and still working to become an established chapter. At present they do not have houses, but a greek village is in the planning stages - I believe it will be at least several years down the road, but the campus seems commited to a strong greek life presence.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Pi (1915-1930?) - Stanford University
Sigma (1917-1964?) - Southern Methodist University (Texas)
Tau (1918-1994) - Indiana University
Upsilon (1918) - Oregon State University
Chi (1919-1998?) - Ohio State University
Psi (1919-1958?) - University of Wisconsin
Omega (1920-1999) - Florida State University

I wish Sigma Kappa could eventually re-establish these single letter chapters. sigh...
The Upsilon chapter is alive and well! I am a collegiate member there now.

Last edited by BabySnake128; 02-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw the sad post on Facebook that Delta Sigma chapter is closing. Sad news, indeed, when any chapter closes.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

We need to update & add some of our newest chapters:

Kappa Tau at the University of West Georgia

Kappa Upsilon at the College of New Jersey

Kappa Phi chapter - Florida Atlantic University will be colonizing this fall

There will also be a chapter colonizing this fall at Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis. Not sure of the chapter designation yet. Maybe Kappa Chi?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
We need to update & add some of our newest chapters:

Kappa Tau at the University of West Georgia

Kappa Upsilon at the College of New Jersey

Kappa Phi chapter - Florida Atlantic University will be colonizing this fall

There will also be a chapter colonizing this fall at Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis. Not sure of the chapter designation yet. Maybe Kappa Chi?
Kappa Chi would seem to be right.
Everyone here is excited for the Epsilon Mu recolonization next fall (which seems forever away). As far as the single-letter recolonizations, I would love love love for the Tau chapter to come back. IUPUI has always seemed like a weird choice to start a chapter, IMO.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

The colonization activities will take place at the end of the upcoming week and next week. This is the schedule that was sent out to area alumnae. Our chapter has a social page and one of the Indy area alumnae posted it to our page. We are wishing them luck! However since ZTA just colonized at IUPUI last year, some of us are head scratching a little wondering if it might be a little too soon.

Date Time Location Event
Friday, September 30 6:00-7:30 pm Campus Center 450 A/B Info & Philanthropy Night
Saturday, October 1 5:00-6:30 pm Campus Center 450 Sisterhood Night
Sunday, October 2 11:00 am-1:00 pm Campus Center 450 Preference
Sunday, October 2 4:00-8:00 pm Campus Center 450 Formal Pledging & Bid Day
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The colonization activities will take place at the end of the upcoming week and next week. This is the schedule that was sent out to area alumnae. Our chapter has a social page and one of the Indy area alumnae posted it to our page. We are wishing them luck! However since ZTA just colonized at IUPUI last year, some of us are head scratching a little wondering if it might be a little too soon.
Was their colonization not as successful as anticipated?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
Was their colonization not as successful as anticipated?

It's not that. I'm guessing that b/c a chapter just colonized, most sororities would want to wait a few years for that chapter to become established before taking a risk and introducing their GLO to the campus.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
It's not that. I'm guessing that b/c a chapter just colonized, most sororities would want to wait a few years for that chapter to become established before taking a risk and introducing their GLO to the campus.

Does that make sense?
Yeah, definitely makes sense. Wouldn't that be a lack of oversight on IUPUI's part?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
Yeah, definitely makes sense. Wouldn't that be a lack of oversight on IUPUI's part?
Probably though they could justify it by saying that b/c numbers have been great over the past few years and all chapters are at total consistently, then it's a perfect time to add one or 2 new GLO's to a school.

It will be interesting and I hope for the best for both chapters.

ETA: It has been done successfully at some schools but each school, chapter and GLO is different. For example, at the University of California, Irvine, Alpha Epsilon Phi colonized successfully and one year later, Sigma Kappa colonized and are thriving as well so it can be done. It just depends on campus atmosphere and the support given to the chapters.

Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 09-25-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe ZTA's colonization last year was successful, but IUPUI is mainly a commuter campus. Most students live at home or in an apartment. Indy offers a lot to do socially, so people in the area are not sure there is a large enough group of women interested to add another chapter. There is a good sized alumnae base in the area, but I have talked to a couple of women who have attended the alumnae meetings and there hasn't been a strong alumnae interest so far. The turnout was far smaller than anticipated. Hopefully the alumnae will come out next weekend and make a strong showing.