GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,511
0 members and 1,511 guests
No Members online

Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.C.K. View Post
My question is, how would the settlement have turned out if the fraternity had insurance? Would they be solely responsible for the 4.2 million and the members wouldn't pay?

If so, then the fraternity as a whole does better not having insurance it looks like.
I can't imagine an insurance company would give a policy to a fraternity that didn't have very clear stipulations for coverage (isn't that what lead to all the uptick in risk management policies?). So if something happened but the insurance company could show the members were acting in conflict with the coverage stipulations (which I can only imagine would be true in any case that involved heavy/illegal alcohol usage, hazing, etc.), they wouldn't pay anyway and the members would still be on the hook. (at least that's my take on it based on what I know about liability coverage)
Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't most universities require some sort of insurance?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
I can't imagine an insurance company would give a policy to a fraternity that didn't have very clear stipulations for coverage (isn't that what lead to all the uptick in risk management policies?). So if something happened but the insurance company could show the members were acting in conflict with the coverage stipulations (which I can only imagine would be true in any case that involved heavy/illegal alcohol usage, hazing, etc.), they wouldn't pay anyway and the members would still be on the hook. (at least that's my take on it based on what I know about liability coverage)
That is my understanding of it also.