GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,171
2 members and 1,169 guests
JayhawkAOII, PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PerfectVerse06
I said website because several people on here have stated that their dues are posted on either their org's national website or their school's Greek Life website.

I was just trying to figure out how people can be unaware of the dues that would be required of them and/or that dues even exist for these orgs if that information is readily available, as you are all freely posting the costs in this very thread. That was my original question, then based on the answers I received I formed other questions.
There are SOME schools that give the costs for each group and break down what is for what (dues, housing etc). They are the exceptions. Even when this is done, sometimes the info isn't kept updated by the school's site.

For the most part - you have to dig to find this. Heck, for some schools you have to dig to find the Greek life part of the site, period.

And if dues are posted on a national site, those are national dues only. Each local chapter adds their own local dues. These can range from $20 to $2000.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PerfectVerse06
I said website because several people on here have stated that their dues are posted on either their org's national website or their school's Greek Life website.

I was just trying to figure out how people can be unaware of the dues that would be required of them if that information is readily available, as you are all freely posting the costs in this very thread. That was my original question, then based on the answers I received I formed other questions.
I think I read too much into a previous post and went off on my own little tangent. Sorry.

I think the issue (as other posters have said) is that within the same org, each member is going to pay completely different amounts based on which college they attend. I paid much, much less than my best friend in the AXiD chapter at UCF as they had a house, so she had housing costs involved. Her chapter dues (the "local" cost) may have been set higher for various reasons.

Another way to look at it is that on some campuses, freshmen women go through recruitment before classes even start, not knowing how much it's going to cost but not caring because, "OHMYGODIFIDON'TGETINTOTHISTOPHOUSEI'MJUSTGOINGTOD IE! MYCAMPUSREPUTATIONWILLBERUINEDFROMTHESTARTANDDADDY PROMISEDHE'DPAYMYSORORITYBILLSNOMATTERHWAT!" So yes, in those situtations some women have absolutely no clue what they're taking on...but it doesn't matter as someone else is footing the bill or they simply don't care.

I do feel that the financial aspect is just one part of choosing which group you want to join. When I went through recruitment, there was a chapter that was the most expensive on our campus and there was a chapter that was the least expensive. During recruitment, each chapter said so...it was like their marketing tool. However, I wasn't interested in either group simply because I didn't see myself fitting in with either one. I think it's more important to make a membership decision based on where you feel the most comfortable rather than whether or not you want to pay $100 versus $400 each month...but for some, their dream GLO may be the more expensive one and they simply can't afford it. It's on them to make it work if that's what they want.

I think the point about not knowing how much of a financial commitment you were taking on was brought up in response to the suggestion/implication that that information wasn't given before one "signed on the dotted line" so to speak.

I apologize for being long-winded and if this isn't even remotely related to anything being discussed. My brain is NOT functioning properly today. I just realized the fax I sent 15 minutes ago didn't have a fax cover sheet.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I <3 Bubblz

I h8 fat girls
Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
And if dues are posted on a national site, those are national dues only. Each local chapter adds their own local dues. These can range from $20 to $2000.
That's cheap! Most of the ones around here run at least 3,000 not living in the house.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
For the most part - you have to dig to find this. Heck, for some schools you have to dig to find the Greek life part of the site, period.
Exactly, that is what I was trying to get at. If one wants to join and pertinent information is out there, then why not dig? Of course it may not be 100% correct for your chapter and you as an idividual, but what's wrong with having some sort of idea of what you're getting into?

Someone mentioned the fact that some interests aren't even aware that dues are invovled in running a chapter, and I was wondering how that can be possible when all of that information is out there. I would think that someone would want to be aware of such matters, even if they don't know exactly how much they are going to have to pay, before joining an organization.

Quote:
orginally posted by AXiD670
I think it's more important to make a membership decision based on where you feel the most comfortable rather than whether or not you want to pay $100 versus $400 each month...but for some, their dream GLO may be the more expensive one and they simply can't afford it. It's on them to make it work if that's what they want.
I completely agree!! Thanks for explaining...hope your day goes better!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
If they have to think twice at the cost involved, we wouldn't want them anyway.
Agreed.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Agreed.
Um she was kidding. I think I understand the sense you mean this in, but all the NPC chapters on my campus and those I know elsewhere understand that a lot of girls are paying for so many things themselves that they can't just say "the hell with the money, I'll do it" even if they really really want to. Without a car, I was hard pressed to find an off campus job, much less one that would pay me well enough to cover part of my schooling plus my dues. I was lucky enough to have a merit based scholarship as well as subsidized loans and a grandmother who would help with my dues. Not everyone is.

Most PNMs do not know for sure which house they want to join, nor will they choose primarily based on $, but $ might keep them from joining any house.

... hope I make sense
Old 05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If they have to think twice at the cost involved, we wouldn't want them anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Agreed.
I was just kidding, chaos. Obviously I can't speak for your organization, but mine isn't like that.

Of course, I look back and remember that I had my pick of houses when I went through rush. I wonder if it was because of my financial situation???

To this day, I'm not sure if it was my early-eighties Toyota Tercel or my vinyl Liz Claiborne handbag that had them all fighting for me

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 05-23-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yup, I had my pick of houses when I went through rush. I think it was because I had so darn much money.

To this day, I'm not sure if it was my early-eighties Toyota Tercel or my vinyl Liz Claiborne handbag that had them all fighting for me
What about the mega-fluffed hairdo that risks getting caught in ceiling fans...I bet that got you a few pref invites.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
What about the mega-fluffed hairdo that risks getting caught in ceiling fans...I bet that got you a few pref invites.

Sigh. I can only wish. I am physically incapable of truly big hair.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sigh. I can only wish. I am physically incapable of truly big hair.
Then maybe the BLUE eyeshadow?? That must of made the difference.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yup, I had my pick of houses when I went through rush. I think it was because I had so darn much money.

No KR I think it was the Hooters shorts

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
No KR I think it was the Hooters shorts
Dang, I forgot about those. Too bad they don't make the Hooters uniform in black, it would have been excellent for pref night.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drolefille
Um she was kidding. I think I understand the sense you mean this in, but all the NPC chapters on my campus and those I know elsewhere understand that a lot of girls are paying for so many things themselves that they can't just say "the hell with the money, I'll do it" even if they really really want to. Without a car, I was hard pressed to find an off campus job, much less one that would pay me well enough to cover part of my schooling plus my dues. I was lucky enough to have a merit based scholarship as well as subsidized loans and a grandmother who would help with my dues. Not everyone is.

Most PNMs do not know for sure which house they want to join, nor will they choose primarily based on $, but $ might keep them from joining any house.

... hope I make sense
Based on prior statements from other NPHC'ers, including myself, I DON'T think my soror was kidding. That really is the attitude we take.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
Based on prior statements from other NPHC'ers, including myself, I DON'T think my soror was kidding. That really is the attitude we take.
I was going to say that my understanding had always been that the NPHC outlook was like buying couture - if you have to ask, you can't afford it - but I didn't want to ass-ume.