GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,315
0 members and 1,315 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: On your nearest moniter waiting to be called a b*tch
Quote:
Originally posted by laidbackfella
I plead the Fif.
lol, So do I.

Imperial1
Old 05-15-2004, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: On your nearest moniter waiting to be called a b*tch
BTW, Why would anyone want to know another sorority/fraternity's secrets?

Imperial1
Old 05-15-2004, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a few snippets here and there about different orgs because of older alum who for some reason or another regret or trivialize their Greek experience.

I admit to being curious about the rituals of the org that we were founded to affiliate with, simply because I wonder how similar our ritual is to theirs and whether or not it contains any of the same components contributed by the founding sister who was an alum of an NPC group.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Quote:
Originally posted by Imperial1
BTW, Why would anyone want to know another sorority/fraternity's secrets?

Imperial1
My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-15-2004, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
My thoughts exactly!
Ditto.

My fraternity is on its second ritual. Our first one was "revealed" soon after our founding, and our current ritual is quite old. In the 19th century, many chapters tried to get ahold of rivals' rituals, and publicly reveal them. Some fraternities disolved from such events.

Anyway, I know some things about our original ritual. Well, a few years ago, I was getting drunk with a friend at a bar, and he offered tell me his fraternity's ritual if I told him mine. I could have BSed him with our first ritual, but I didn't. I told him that I am under oath, and that I will never reveal my ritual. That ended that conversation.

The larger point is this; Engaging in such behavior is dishonorable, and antithetical to values of all of our organizations (or should be.) We are custodians of our rituals, and the values that they embody. The curiosity that might compel one to seek the knowledge of another GLO's ritual, will only undermine the ethical code that this person swore to, and therefore weaken his or her's GLO's values, as exercised by its members.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 05-15-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Russ, damn your use of big words!

But what you said!

While We Each have certain creeds, clasps, or parts of the Ritual, it is Important to each of us. Well, only Each of us for what it means!

Read on Mc Duffy reader!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 05-15-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

To me, it seems as if some people WANT to share their info. I know I would never ASK someone about their ritual, b/c I would never TELL any info about ours.

I have seen people that get pissed off and leave a glo and try to tell as much as they know.

I have first hand seen a guy that was interested in me tell me info to "impress me"... (It didn't work; it repulsed me.)

I have also seen people that get drunk and spill the beans... But, I believe that the drunk-tellers would have told anyway and tend to use their intoxication as a redeeming excuse.

I believe the majority of greeks want to keep their info sacred and secret. There's just a few that always ruin things.

Last edited by Tippiechick; 05-15-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

TippieChick. Yes!

Thank you for putting it so much better!

Trying to do Snapper, hope I am remembering to do it right!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-15-2004, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom, tell me how the snapper turns out this time!
Old 05-16-2004, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I don't know about anyone else, but our ruby-studded genie costume was the last thing I was thinking of after I had a few drinks.
I hate to burst your bubble, Sheila, but that night at Peter's Pub after a couple of drinks you were standing on the table bellydancing and humming "Genie in a Bottle". You were in the middle of telling George the Bartender how you're a genie in a bottle and he's gotta rub you the right way by the time we got you out of there.

Ask Cheyenne, Dani, Mindy and Ali; they'll tell ya!

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 05-17-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep...

Well, a bro and I came across some pretty secret information about a certain important sorority...

My little bro's big sis is a member of that sorority (which will remain unnamed) ... and she confirmed the info...

It's quite fascinating information - for sure! shaped the modern greek system in a way!

It actually is CRAZY information - linking them with another society... never would have guessed... I guess that was the point...

Anyhow, my big sis a Delta Gamma, and I pretty much hang out with all of 'em... My twin in Delta Gamma, who is from Connecticut (but goes to school with me here in California obviously) has a male friend at UCONN who told her the Delta Gamma PASSWORD over the phone during a somewhat intoxicated conversation...

Sufficed to say, my twin was pretty shocked!

Anyhow, I love ritual... Ours is really chill

GO BEACH!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't care about anyone's ritual, grip, challenges, etc.

I will say a lot of info is exchanged (grip and challenges, esp) due to pillow talk and people who lack discretion when initiating challenges.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get the obsession, either. I think there are more important things in life than to ferret out other's grips and whistles. What's the sense? So you can lord it over them? He who knows the most secrets is dubbed "King of the Greeks?"
Old 05-16-2004, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
So you can lord it over them? He who knows the most secrets is dubbed "King of the Greeks?"
But it's a really pretty crown...
Old 05-16-2004, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. I think that people who may know of info on others rituals may or may not know the truth. I know we have a "secret handshake" to show fraternity and other sorority people to throw people off.

Heres my thing. Ive been to a lot of drunken parties, but I cant honestly say Ive had some people come up to me and be like wanna know our ritual or start spouting it off? I know when I have been drunk I was just loud and sang and stuff. Ive never encountered a drunk ritual spouter LMAO.

Also a lot of the members do not know the exact words or phrases to a lot that goes on at initiation. Some have to be reminded before initiation as it is, so I dont think if they were drunk theyd be shouting the correct things anyways. I know I had to go over many things with people when I was Guard so I dont see how theyd remember it all to go out and tell people.

If someone would try to tell me, Id walk away cause I dont care to know or tell anyone I know. It may be interesting how everyone has diff rituals, but noone knows them or can understand even an ounce of ritual or the meaning unless they are acutally that org and have actually experienced that. People who say I know this or I know that, most are wrong, and once I did hear someone who knew something valid they didnt understand it anyways.

I guess I am a bit of a Ritual nazi for my org as I was Guard. That is something sooooooooo special and so amazing to expereince and anyone who has heard some of it, has no clue about it anyways, cause they arent an ADPi. I think of that for all orgs.

I have heard that this one guy who left a frat and went around telling people their secret things. I thought it was incredibly rude and disrespectful even if he did leave the frat.

I too wonder how a ritual collector well collects things? Do you get things off ebay or something? Who sells things on ebay though about ritual? I know our nationals wouldnt allow that at all. I am curious how you collect?