GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,274
0 members and 1,274 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2003, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUquadkid
I thought the opening act was soo good. Haven't seen Madonna at the VMA's in a long time. This year was soo much better than last year. I thought J. Lo was suppose to be in the opening act, except they put Christina in.. what's up with that?

j. lo is shooting a movie, so she couldnt make it
Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Was I the only one bugged by the way the thing LOOKED? It was on film not on tape, and it was distracting to me.
Wait, I'm confused.

I thought the thing was live (at least in it's first telecast). It can't be "live" on film -- and would take weeks to shoot, process and edit.

The new generation of TV cameras can be made to mimick a film look -- is that what happened?

Or, are you just talking about a segment that was filmed?

Damn. Am I going to have to watch this thing?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I really think that J.Lo being in the opening was just a rumor. When I heard she was doing it, I thought, why would Madonna share a stage with her? She can't like the chick. And she would just try to upstage Madonna anyways. Christina was a MUCH better choice and she can actually sing. Yeah, Britney's not the best singer, but she's a great performer.

Delt Alum, the show was live. They just shot it in a way that made it look filmed and really glossy.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoffZ
Delt Alum, the show was live. They just shot it in a way that made it look filmed and really glossy.
yeah. that's what I meant. kind of like if you've ever seen a movie that was made to look like a videotape, in reverse.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Re Christina/Britney...Christina has the talent. Britney does not. Period. And the songs they've been picking lately only points it out more. It's a total Tiffany/Debbie Gibson repeat...

Not trying to start a fight, but you don't think Britney has any talent? Britney has mega talent!! Ok, so I can see why she's not everyone's favorite singer- but come on the girl can dance and perform like no other. I understand people not liking her, but give me a break.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:50 PM

Yeah, Britney can dance. But when you get a little older and can't shake it like you used to, you need a voice to back it up.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: ....

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy
Not trying to start a fight, but you don't think Britney has any talent? Britney has mega talent!! Ok, so I can see why she's not everyone's favorite singer- but come on the girl can dance and perform like no other. I understand people not liking her, but give me a break.
Maybe no MUSICAL talent, would be the way to put that. She can dance better than other people (myself included), but I've seen much better dancers.

Quote:
Damn. Am I going to have to watch this thing
No, DeltAlum! Don't get sucked in!! lol
Old 09-02-2003, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Re: ....

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy
Not trying to start a fight, but you don't think Britney has any talent? Britney has mega talent!! Ok, so I can see why she's not everyone's favorite singer- but come on the girl can dance and perform like no other.
"Like no other"?!? Give me a break. DZHBrown was right, she has no musical talent. Sure, many of her hits are good, but almost anyone can go in studio and make a decent sounding song after it's been edited beyond belief. The proof is in the performance. Britney is know to lip-sync because her voice can't carry her. Sure she can move and put on a nice show but, if that's all she's good for, then she should have become dancer and not a singer.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: ....

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
"Like no other"?!? Give me a break. DZHBrown was right, she has no musical talent. Sure, many of her hits are good, but almost anyone can go in studio and make a decent sounding song after it's been edited beyond belief. The proof is in the performance. Britney is know to lip-sync because her voice can't carry her. Sure she can move and put on a nice show but, if that's all she's good for, then she should have become dancer and not a singer.
Like no other is a saying. You know, like "She cooks like no other". Does this mean she's the best cook ever? No, but you're still going to say she cooks like no other.

And you're right the proof is in the performance, which Brit for the most part kicks butt. I saw her "dream within a dream" tour, and she did sing live for most of it. She was awesome!

She also doesn't claim to be a singer. She claims to be an entertainer, which includes singing and dancing.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
My sister told me it was actually filmed digitally, which is why it was so pixellated at times. It was SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING!

Film is for big movie screens. Video is for TV. Digital is for still cameras lol.
Aries...

Still confused. Actually, state-of-the-art television is "digital." Likewise, High Definition Television (HDTV) is a digital format. Most of our home TV receivers are still analog. So, even if the program is shot by digital cameras and recorded on digital video tape recorders, it is still converted and transmitted in analog. Unless you're watching it in HDTV.

Confused? You and the rest of the country.

Non broadcast industry people tend to use the term "filmed" universally when something (moving picture and sound) is recorded.

To be really filmed, the show has to be shot on a medium which is chemically processed, and then either physically "cut" during the edit, or "transferred" to video tape and edited electronically. That can't be done live.

Parts of the last, and most of the next StarWars movie were/will be shot on High Definition video tape, and then either transferred to film or shown on digital video tape in movie houses.

What makes it even harder to understand is that TV cameras can now be "shaded" to have a "film look," and can even shoot in 24 frames per second (which is the traditional film standard) or 30 frames (which is the traditional TV standard).

My suspicion is that the performance was digitally altered during the actual production -- which can be done either live (as in this case) or in post production.

Anyway, that's why I'm confused.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: ....

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
Britney is know to lip-sync because her voice can't carry her.
Britney is known to lip sync because she incorporates so much dancing into her shows that it would be difficult to maintain the proper breath support to sing at the same time. Many show choirs (high school choirs that sing and dance at the same time) do the same thing, but that doesn't mean that they can't sing. It just means that they want to put on the best show possible for the audience.

I'm not trying to say that Britney's got an amazing voice, because we all know she doesn't. I'm just saying that she's never claimed to be a great singer -- and if that's what you're expecting, that's like going to a Backstreet Boys' concert and complaining afterwards because they didn't sing any opera.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 PM

I'm scaring myself here, but when Britney was younger she had a decent singing voice. I think TPTB have ruined her vocally, with all of the breathy and "sexy" singing. Ugh.

Christin

<hijack>for those of you who may have watched Brit and Co. on the 90s incarnation of The Mickey Mouse Club, whatever happened to Jennifer McGill? Now, that girl could seriously sing!</hijack>