GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,177
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,375
2 members and 1,373 guests
John, naraht

Old 06-14-2005, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
I want to say that there's a couple of orgs that are both in NIC and NALFO as well but I don't know which specific ones.
Lambda Sigma Upsilon
Lambda Theta Phi
Phi Iota Alpha
Sigma Lambda Beta
Old 06-14-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Aside from the Title IX stuff and NPC rules, didn't someone say somewhere on GC (maybe even in a Rush thread) that there's a sort of "informal agreement" between the NPC and NPHC that NPC women could not join NPHC groups and vice versa? I would think if a woman disaffiliated from one it wouldn't be so big a problem, but this agreement I seem to remember was talking about dual affiliation.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

That dardenr was so effing smart.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I don't know...the intake/recruitment processes are very different from each other, the topic of once being in another Lettered org is bound to come up, no? NPC rules require a 1 year waiting period after depledging (before initiation) before re-rushing and being re-pinned. But even then, it seems like girls who do this are less likely to be pinned by a different org (thinking...she jumped ship once, she'll do it again). I would be slightly hesitant to pledge a girl who had been initiated into another org, wondering why she is not putting forth all her effort into her first org. Both NPC and NPHC have alumnae groups and projects, which carry responsibilities. I would be overburdened with active, 100 percent membership in 2 orgs. Then again, that's just me.

But if I was ever to be offered honorary or alumnae membership into an NPC/NPHC group, I would probably consider it, down the line of course, post-college, as my org is a local, and alumnae membership is done mostly long-distance.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Yes, there is a difference.

Social GLOs and Sevice GLOs, and Admirable GLOs.

They do have the Same Greek Letters in many cases.

But that does not deter each of them from doing specific things.

I am a Memeber of APO. I am a more importantant Member of LXA.

Do I have Respect for Both, Hell Yes.

While each is on a differnt level, they or We Both are trying to do the same.

Academian as far as some go feel that they should be the only ones.

But, if some one is so smart, then why not?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with PhoenixAzul that it comes down to individual chapters being hesitant to take members that are already in another sorority. According to NPC, if you transfer and there is no chapter of your sorority on your new campus, you can join a local (or any other sorority for that matter, except for another NPC.) Last year, this issue came up when a girl who was a Tri-Delt from another school transferred and was thinking about rushing. My sorority was the only one on campus that she would have been eligible to join, and several of our sisters expressed concerns about taking someone who was already in another sorority as a question of her loyalty.

The girl never ended up choosing to join a local, and I'm still friends with her, and Tri-Delts, let me tell you, she is one awesome chica!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Maybe this was the way it was supposed to be?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-15-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvtoscrap
This thread is interesting. However, from what I read unless the DOE recongizes NPC and NPHC as social GLO's despite the NPHC orientation to service-I can be both a member of my sorority and also Omega Psi Phi or Alpha Phi Alpha. Now that would be interesting a lady of my age going to open fraternity meetings in order to meet members and hoping to recieve an invitation to join.
I don't know whether you realize that the fraternities in the NPHC are MENS fraternities; there are no womens fraternities in the NPHC.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

lol I sure did...but lack of sleep might have really goofed up my writing. My youngest is have some medical problems that has been keeping me up nights at a time.

I was referring that if the male fraternities were covered by Title IV rulings regarding equal access to the organization because they were not social fraternities-then they would have to accept female applicants.

Do not worry I wasn't plan on showing up for any informational meetings. However, I do reserve the right to show up to any open charity activites that correspond to my interests.